Axe thief problematic

Posted (edited)

Axe thief is the most busted spec in PvP. It's ability to 100-0 someone in a matter of seconds coming right out of stealth is completely unmatched by any other spec in the game 

In stealth, thief can start spawning axes randomly and far away from the intended target, this can even be done through walls. The thief then ports onto the target and recalls the axes, putting insane amounts of condi stacks that will vaporize any build almost instantaneously. What makes this so increadibly lethal and stupid as kitten is axe/dagger 3 immobilizes the target. Being able to spawn axes without a target that you can hide through LoS is unacceptable. Condi builds should never have the ammout of burst damage that this spec has. Period

Condi builds are balanced around being tankier, but having a ramp up time and condis being removable on top of one's ability to dodge the condi attack. This philosophy completely goes out the window for axe thief. Its burst is WAY too high, especially in conjuction with thiefs mechanics(stealth, mobility, etc) It's super oppressive and has little counterplay. 

ANet please nerf immediately 

Edited by WhoWantsAHug.3186
  • Like 18
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

Axe thief is the most busted spec in PvP. It's ability to 100-0 someone in a matter of seconds coming right out of stealth is completely unmatched by any other spec in the game 

In stealth, thief can start spawning axes randomly and far away from the intended target, this can even be done through walls. The thief then ports onto the target and recalls the axes, putting insane amounts of condi stacks that will vaporize any build almost instantaneously. What makes this so increadibly lethal and stupid as kitten is axe/dagger 3 immobilizes the target. Being able to spawn axes without a target that you can hide through LoS is unacceptable. Condi builds should never have the ammout of burst damage that this spec has. Period

Condi builds are balanced around being tankier, but having a ramp up time and condis being removable on top of one's ability to dodge the condi attack. This philosophy completely goes out the window for axe thief. Its burst is WAY too high, especially in conjuction with thiefs mechanics(stealth, mobility, etc) It's super oppressive and has little counterplay. 

How should it be nerfed? 

Should it be in line with other condi builds where the thief is tankier but the condi has ramp up time?

Out of stealth

Not to mention you can hear the axes being dropped and see and hear them spinning if youre in range of  them.  

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Confused 6

Posted (edited)

@Azure The Heartless.3261 actually i feel like axe is more sort of a PvE weapon than just PvP but maybe thats just my feeling about it xp

Also i think its kind of a "if your lucky you hit something with it" playstyle" how power Berserker also is^^ but with more survive ability thanks to how thief in general works ^^

Edited by Myror.7521

28 minutes ago, Myror.7521 said:

@Azure The Heartless.3261 actually i feel like axe is more sort of a PvE weapon than just PvP but maybe thats just my feeling about it xp

Also i think its kind of a "if your lucky you hit something with it" playstyle" how power Berserker also is^^ but with more survive ability thanks to how thief in general works ^^

jup, last night 15 k berserker hit, nice pve joke damage 😂 idc how glassy something can be that is literally 1 shot of lower HP builds 🤨. ( see what I did there )

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Not to mention you can hear the axes being dropped and see and hear them spinning if youre in range of  them.  

Axes themselves aren't the problem, pistol5 into daredevil dodge is. A thief doing this will pretty much never run of initiative (axe sneak attack also restores 2 ini, on top of the usual SA bs), so they can just throw axe, stealth, throw axe, stealth, throw axe, stealth, throw axe, stealth. It takes 20 minutes but sooner or later some of that stuff is going to land, and it's going to make you sad regardless of the power\condi setup.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695

1 hour ago, Myror.7521 said:

@arazoth.7290 i know also a daredevil build that could litterly easily oneshot every class (maybe aside necro tho).  A friend litterly onshotet me though my block on my warrior with around 20k xD

😐 these are just pve numbers, buffing an ability really high that it becomes available 😂.

Hammer vindi before nerf with with perfect conditions like might stacks, vulnerability, under 50% hp, dodge, no defensieve reductions coule max do 13k 😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

don't worry you see lots of holo Engi's that have lock-on to counter toxic mechanics li.... (checks patch notes... never mind... please continue)...

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

Axes themselves aren't the problem, pistol5 into daredevil dodge is. A thief doing this will pretty much never run of initiative (axe sneak attack also restores 2 ini, on top of the usual SA bs), so they can just throw axe, stealth, throw axe, stealth, throw axe, stealth, throw axe, stealth. It takes 20 minutes but sooner or later some of that stuff is going to land, and it's going to make you sad regardless of the power\condi setup.

If a thief takes 20 mins to land shenanigans the games over.  *^*

Init restock for axe only happens if it lands and its as visible as mirror blade (and more blockable).

• Confused 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Init restock for axe only happens if it lands and its as visible as mirror blade (and more blockable).

Let's not act like landing a ranged skill with 1s cd is that hard, even without counting NPCs

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 4:50 AM, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

That is not how you abuse this build. What you do is spam 2 without a target, then target something and press 3.

Axe/dagger 3 literally has infinite range if your axes are in range of the target. It's super stupid 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

That is not how you abuse this build. What you do is spam 2 without a target, then target something and press 3.

That's just how you play axes in general....

Axe/dagger 3 literally has infinite range if your axes are in range of the target. It's super stupid 

No it doesnt....

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

That's just how you play axes in general....

No it doesnt....

You are totally wrong and too confident about it. 

Axe/dagger 3 has unlimited range BECAUSE YOU RETARGET IT. you press 3 WITHOUT A TARGET, then you select a target before it goes off. 

Please spam type ....... more often even though you have no idea what's going on 

Edited by WhoWantsAHug.3186
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, bq pd.2148 said:

no he said the axes need to be in range to target 1.
then you move away from it to target 2.
cast skill 3 on target 2 and retarget to target 1.

the axes will hit target 1, despite you being beyond 900 range.

Well I'll be, it sure does do that~

1 hour ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

You are totally wrong and too confident about it. 

I apologize. I misread and thought this was regarding old axe functionality. 

It's probably an oversight when they changed the functionality to pull axes to your target instead of to you. That requires a bugfix though, not nerfing. 

3 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Well I'll be, it sure does do that~

I apologize. I misread and thought this was regarding old axe functionality. 

It's probably an oversight when they changed the functionality to pull axes to your target instead of to you. That requires a bugfix though, not nerfing. 

Yea definitely a game breaking bug, infinite range, plus you can negate the teleport portion of the skill, so you maintain position. Super stupid.

I still think condi axe does wayy too much damage aswell. Axe/dagger 3s burst with spinning axes is super overtuned. Much like how specters scepter/pistol 3 was. ANet makes a skill that's fine on its own, but is super dumb with Deadly Arts trait. Front loading all of your damage to the dual skill(deadly arts synergy) plus giving it immobilize(more synergy) is too much. 

8 hours ago, bq pd.2148 said:

no he said the axes need to be in range to target 1.
then you move away from it to target 2.
cast skill 3 on target 2 and retarget to target 1.

the axes will hit target 1, despite you being beyond 900 range.

doesnt matter, many attacks stick beyond their  range

• Confused 1

meh.... axe burst is crazy....

but the build is quite literally shite outside of 1v1´s.... and even then its mediocre at best.

DE and d/p drd perform way better.

I have yet to meet a axe thief that has impact in my games.    De on the other hand.....

• Confused 1

@magickthief.6492 lol? Yea cause you where there so you could say what he did or not xp. He did a 12k backstab instantly followed by 7k inspiring daggers followed by another 7k hearthseaker. So yea technicaly it was not a "oneshot" but all those stuff happens in around 1 second out off stealth/port comb