Spider Eparch Meta

jhern.6097

Posted (edited)

Good question. 

Eparch gets called a spider for some reason. 

Kinda crazy that the only connection between him and a spider is his model from his meta fight. And even that is a stretch. 

Even crazier is that you would have no idea why he called a spider if you don't play the meta. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Is it a question about why players refer to it this way, or question about naming in the game?

Because Meta's name in the game is "Into the Spider's Lair", so that would explain why players are referring to it as Spider (name of meta) Eparch (name of final boss).

Cannot say much on why exactly it is named like that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/27/2024 at 4:52 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Eparch gets called a spider for some reason. 

Kinda crazy that the only connection between him and a spider is his model from his meta fight. And even that is a stretch. 

Isgarren believes Eparch to be a demon from Nayos (but Isgarren also thought that the human gods weren't real gods, ... so ...). It is not specifically stated anywhere whether Eparch's existence began in Nayos/Realm of Dreams or whether he came there from somewhere else. There was/is a theory that Eparch is from the species of insectoid / spider gods from the realm of torment from a time that is PRE-Human Gods.  And there is a line from Peitha "And you kiss each leg of the spider; has he shown you his venom yet?" which just could mean that Eparch is a spider.

Just theories.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

Isgarren believes Eparch to be a demon from Nayos (but Isgarren also thought that the human gods weren't real gods, ... so ...). It is not specifically stated anywhere whether Eparch's existence began in Nayos/Realm of Dreams or whether he came there from somewhere else. There was/is a theory that Eparch is from the species of insectoid / spider gods from the realm of torment from a time that is PRE-Human Gods.  And there is a line from Peitha "And you kiss each leg of the spider; has he shown you his venom yet?" which just could mean that Eparch is a spider.

Just theories.

Yes that's the point. 

He is getting called a spider and references are made to that. 

But nothing we have seen from him is even remotely related to spiders. The only thing we have is the model of the meta fight. And even that is a HUGE stretch. 

If you only play the story, you have nothing that explains the connection to spiders. 

Not everyone will play the meta or read the books from the achievements. 

1 hour ago, Zok.4956 said:

(but Isgarren also thought that the human gods weren't real gods, ... so ...)

Well from his perspective they are just powerful magical entities from the mists that invaded his turf, so it would check out the definition of "not really a god" 😉

1 hour ago, Zok.4956 said:

And there is a line from Peitha "And you kiss each leg of the spider; has he shown you his venom yet?"

Abouth Peitha's lines, when Eparch shows up in spider form, one of NPCs reacts with something along the lines of "what did Eparch turn into", and Peitha responds with something along the lines of "that's what he always were", which would imply that in meta we fight his true form?

4 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

But nothing we have seen from him is even remotely related to spiders. The only thing we have is the model of the meta fight. And even that is a HUGE stretch

His signature attack is a web-pattern on the floor that damages people on it.... which is about as much of a stretch as his form in the meta encounter 🙂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

Well from his perspective they are just powerful magical entities from the mists that invaded his turf, so it would check out the definition of "not really a god" 😉

Abouth Peitha's lines, when Eparch shows up in spider form, one of NPCs reacts with something along the lines of "what did Eparch turn into", and Peitha responds with something along the lines of "that's what he always were", which would imply that in meta we fight his true form?

His signature attack is a web-pattern on the floor that damages people on it.... which is about as much of a stretch as his form in the meta encounter 🙂

He attacks? 

Feels more like the dps test golem with area tick dmg on. But here you can sidestep most dmg. 

To be fair, it's such a boring fight, I never looked at the crack pattern. 

Just sit below the boss and do your dps rotation for 10min. (if you are not in the rift crew.)

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

He attacks? 

Feels more like the dps test golem with area tick dmg on. But here you can sidestep most dmg. 

To be fair, it's such a boring fight, I never looked at the crack pattern. 

Just sit below the boss and do your dps rotation for 10min. (if you are not in the rift crew.)

You would be surprised how many people die to the web-rift and the waves spam, but if those indeed do not hit inside his hitbox, then I guess I could see where all the "he does no damage at all" crowd comes from 🙂

That being said tho, I did see a number of corpses directly below him on some encounters so dunno what killed them if his attacks don't connect there.

The pattern is more visible in the story/fractal versions of him tho - since you know there is less visual noise of everything else there, and he is in his smaller form tho.

4 minutes ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

You would be surprised how many people die to the web-rift and the waves spam, but if those indeed do not hit inside his hitbox, then I guess I could see where all the "he does no damage at all" crowd comes from 🙂

That being said tho, I did see a number of corpses directly below him on some encounters so dunno what killed them if his attacks don't connect there.

The pattern is more visible in the story/fractal versions of him tho - since you know there is less visual noise of everything else there, and he is in his smaller form tho.

The moment you see him as what he is. A target dummy, it gets way easier. 

Equip the new crit to heal relic on your power dps build and move 5 inches to the left/right when you take dmg. 

Thats the fight. Again if you are not part of the 10 or so people who do the rifts. 

People die because they don't stack with the group, wanting to roleplay as Legolas. 

Add kitten builds/gear Ofcourse. 

2 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Equip the new crit to heal relic on your power dps build and move 5 inches to the left/right when you take dmg.

But you see, all the builds I ever brought to it are condi....

9 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Again if you are not part of the 10 or so people who do the rifts. 

and in all the runs I did so far I was doing rifts too. Not sure about "10 or so people" part, because whole encounter is such sensory overload I have no idea who is where and what they are doing at any time. Dead people I can spot mostly due to the fact that their icon contrasts with the background area and effects in the fight.

11 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

People die because they don't stack with the group, wanting to roleplay as Legolas. 

last time I checked Legolas never tried to be under demonic butt, which is where the bodies were that I saw.

Anyway all of that is mildly off the topic there which was the subject of how exactly Eparch is anyhow spider connected, so here is that: among of the stretchy arguments of his appearance in the meta being somewhat spider-like, is the attack he does in all of his appearances being somewhat web-like.

On 5/26/2024 at 8:07 PM, jhern.6097 said:

Just curious to know... why a spider?

He has a spooky spider form that blows your mind (and the games renderer).
Peitha, other demons, and the games various descriptors often use nomencalture in reference to a venomous spider.
He's a spider demon guy.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. I eat toxic bacon and grawl paint though. Maybe I missed something. Why not a spider at this point?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2024 at 1:52 PM, ugrakarma.9416 said:

i think they wanted some reference to spiders cannibalism and failed to deliver it in previous dialogues/world building.

Had to look this up. Makes sense now. I didn't know this about spiders.

On 5/27/2024 at 2:07 AM, jhern.6097 said:

Just curious to know... why a spider?

Because Anet wanted to make a trailer that was all creepy and spooky and for some reason there are a bunch of cat owners playing this game that get absolutely terrified of a tiny little bug that a dog owner can crush with the slightest slap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Because Anet wanted to make a trailer that was all creepy and spooky and for some reason there are a bunch of cat owners playing this game that get absolutely terrified of a tiny little bug that a dog owner can crush with the slightest slap.

Why do you people always make this about dogs vs cats????

12 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Cantha is full of dogs you can pet lol

I don't think you can say that has any impact on the Dog vs Cat conversation when they have cats you can pet as well. At best that situation is a wash. Whereas I wonder where the dogmander tag is. I wonder where my home instance full of dogs I can collect are. I wonder what word they use to bleep our curse words on the forum (it ain't puppies). On April Fools I wonder which assets are bigger and more wide spread, the cats or the dogs. I wonder why a gryphon acts like a cat. I wonder why a Warclaw is a full cat (and no, jackal is not a dog, not unless you shell out money on the BLTC for skins). ArenaNet chose cats a long time ago, that is a fact. But it isn't at all important to the conversation at hand and was merely meant to be a joke post more than anything.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As others have mentioned, Anet has probably wanted to allude to the idea that spider cannibalism is a common thing and it's just what Eparch does. Though, spider species are often found that practice sexual cannibalism (like the preying mantis, where the females straight up try to consume their mate before, during and/or after the act), or spiders that will try to eat their brood too. Eparch is clearly referred to as a male so I don't know about that part.

There are also old references in GW1 in the Realm of Torment to a race of insectoid eldtrich/godly beings that would fit Eparch's lore descriptions. It is however a stretch to connect Nayos to the Realm of Torment (just being "in the Mists" is not really enough as everything is just "in the Mists" basically), just as it is a stretch to connect the massive beings we see in the Realm of Torment to Eparch. I actually personally hope they're not referring to this and that Eparch is what we got from the realization of insectoid beings from the Realm of Torment.

6 hours ago, Narcemus.1348 said:

ArenaNet chose cats a long time ago, that is a fact. But it isn't at all important to the conversation at hand and was merely meant to be a joke post more than anything.

While I can understand that you were joking, considering the tone of the first post invoking cats vs dogs, and whom made that post, I am not exactly convinced it was meant as a joke.