Minis

Kiof.5710

What are minis in the game world? 

Do they exist in the game or only seen by the gamer?  

If they are seen by everyone (NPCs) in the game world, what is the reason behind the existence of little items following people around?  Magical mini golems?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

They're miniature golems. I can't remember who said it but I'm pretty sure an NPC talks about sculpting them.

As far as I know none of the NPCs react to your mini pet, but they do exist in the game world and some NPCs have minis. I think everything players can have exists in Tyria.

• Like 3

Well, I prefer my "truth" 😉, because I doubt every Tyrian can afford to power a golem, let alone a huge collection of them. They could also be looked upon as "immersion-breaking" in certain cases.

The minis that look like something that we know exists in Tyria (e.g., the animals/pets or some toy golem) I look upon as "real" companions, but the rest I regard as player gimmicks. *shrugs*

• Confused 6

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Well, I prefer my "truth" 😉, because I doubt every Tyrian can afford to power a golem, let alone a huge collection of them. They could also be looked upon as "immersion-breaking" in certain cases.

The minis that look like something that we know exists in Tyria (e.g., the animals/pets or some toy golem) I look upon as "real" companions, but the rest I regard as player gimmicks. *shrugs*

I don't see how it could be more immersive to ignore information that incorporates an item referenced and used by NPCs as well as players into the games lore and to instead pretend part of the game doesn't exist in-universe. Isn't having something visible and useable in the game that isn't part of it's world the opposite of immersive?

Especially if the reason is that it's unlikely everyone in Tyria could afford many/any of them. Most people in real life can't afford sports cars, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't see how it could be more immersive to ignore information that incorporates an item referenced and used by NPCs

Name one NPC that uses King Adelbern or Liadri or Cerus as a miniature. 😉 

• Confused 4

27 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I'm not 100% certain what the winky face is for here. We know minis are part of the world and part of the lore. That they aren't part of the wider world visibly is simply that ANet chose not to use them for NPCs to avoid clutter or irrelevance. LA of course had it's mini arena - which whilst not confirmed - was likely a nod to the minis. Tixx acknowledges them as well as Zommoros.

So yeah, they are more a player-centric thing, but they exists as part of the world whether we see people with them or not

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Miniature Gray Giants in GW1 were one of the rarest miniatures in the game, but there was an entire quest chain dedicated to its placement in lore.

I don't get what your argument is.

Every Wintersday we fight hordes of miniatures - yes, those malfunctioning toys are canonically miniatures. This is why all five have a miniature which is the same shape and size. And Tixx gives them away annually as presents.

While it might be odd Tyrians would make toys of their greatest villains, we make video game and movies featuring Adolf Hitler, so it isn't beyond the realm of probability. We have toys that are of villainous characters, because kids like such.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The more weird minis may be rarer, but minis are a thing in universe.

Much like how the plush mounts are likely built by Tixx as well, with similar crafting styles.

edit: Also general civilians may not really own them for finance reasons. but they exist.

Edited by Kalavier.1097
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

That's an oddly specific requirement. Unless you're saying it's only those 3 minis you consider to be immersion breaking?

No, I consider the fact of having story NPCs as minis odd, if they were considered to be "real" in the world. The whole "toy maker" explanation just sounds unconvincing to me, because pretty much every player uses minis while 99.9% of the open-world NPCs use none.

12 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

There's one who has a mini of Braham: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Grímur_Oddursson

I've never noticed! 😄

8 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Miniature Gray Giants in GW1 were one of the rarest miniatures in the game, but there was an entire quest chain dedicated to its placement in lore.

I don't get what your argument is.

I'm not arguing, I'm merely stating how I look upon the matter.

I love collecting minis, both in GW1 and GW2, they are fun. I just never saw them all as "real" in the world.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No, I consider the fact of having story NPCs as minis odd, if they were considered to be "real" in the world. The whole "toy maker" explanation just sounds unconvincing to me, because pretty much every player uses minis while 99.9% of the open-world NPCs use none.

I've never noticed! 😄

I'm not arguing, I'm merely stating how I look upon the matter.

I love collecting minis, both in GW1 and GW2, they are fun. I just never saw them all as "real" in the world.

You can't just proclaim it non-canon just because you don't like it. It's not like it's a common theory that everyone but you agrees with or a matter of interpretation, it's an actually told and shown piece of lore.

And having story NPCs as toys is no more odd than people making toy action figures of US Presidents that are still very much alive. It's very much the same exact concept, in fact. The only difference is that Tyrians have a way to make toys move on their own.

Presentation-wise, it's very much like waypoints. They're primarily there for the gameplay mechanics, but they do exist in lore, talked about somewhat frequently, though the use of it by NPCs isn't commonplace.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

You can't just proclaim it non-canon just because you don't like it. It's not like it's a common theory that everyone but you agrees with or a matter of interpretation, it's an actually told and shown piece of lore.

And having story NPCs as toys is no more odd than people making toy action figures of US Presidents that are still very much alive. It's very much the same exact concept, in fact. The only difference is that Tyrians have a way to make toys move on their own.

Presentation-wise, it's very much like waypoints. They're primarily there for the gameplay mechanics, but they do exist in lore, talked about somewhat frequently, though the use of it by NPCs isn't commonplace.

Also for all we know, they may just keep them at home in the toy chests. 

Or just not actively shown ingame, like Horses.

• Like 1