Spearheading a New Weapon: Guardian, Ranger, Necromancer

Posted (edited)

I'm SO disappointed that necros are once again getting a power weapon. Not to mention that it sounds to have very similar mechanics to greatsword (higher damage under half health and skill resets.) You'd think Necromancers the poster-child  for conditions would have AT LEAST one melee condition-focused weapon. Hell, I would have been happy if it was a support weapon (which we ALSO don't really have.) You had a chance with dual-swords, but no, instead they had to make axe/focus obsolete and now spear will do the same for greatsword...

For some constructive feedback: If changing the spear to condis is too hard/late, is it possible to make the shards created by the spear heal in an area around the necro when spent? Then at least it could be useful for support builds.

Edited by Victor Sniders.7516
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Doesn't seem like that much info to me. (And I bet the engineer will be with the last three again as the latest reveal. :D) I guess we need to see it in beta to feel the actual "conditions" for certain stuff (like mentioned with the illuminating thing for the guardian). Visually the things in the video looked nice though.

45 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Doesn't seem like that much info to me. (And I bet the engineer will be with the last three again as the latest reveal. :D) I guess we need to see it in beta to feel the actual "conditions" for certain stuff (like mentioned with the illuminating thing for the guardian). Visually the things in the video looked nice though.

Thankfully, the beta is only 2 weeks away

We'll get a much better idea of how all the new spears work when we can actually play with them ourselves 

Why does Guardian get so many yellow'ish effects? In my opinion, all of those should be blue.

Necromancer should have gotten a condition-based spear, not another power weapon.

I'm not a fan of Ranger's spear. The game needs less Stealth, not more.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)

Guardian skills look really cool, and the descriptions sounds neat, but they also raise questions. A symbol that knocks enemies back and requires you to stand in it? Does that mean the spear skills have enough range to reach the knocked back foes while you are still in the symbol? Do you lose out on symbol pulse damage if you push enemies out of it? I'm seeing backward synergies here, like with the melee pistol symbol all over again.

The ranger spear works exactly how I would expect a ranger to use it. Everything here sounds great, and I'm glad they can use it with a skirmishing style that includes stealth and ambush skills. The autoattack sounds so cool and in theme for a spear, I kinda wish every class could use it like that. I'm stoked to play this ranger.

The idea of harvesting soul shards and consuming them for deadly strikes is on brand for necros. I like how they are getting a distance closer for mobility too. I'm just not sure necromancers need another melee power weapon over other options right now?

Edited by Gaiawolf.8261
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Why does Guardian get so many yellow'ish effects? In my opinion, all of those should be blue.

Agreed. A bit of golden sparkling would have been okay, but what we see in the video is p*ss yellow. 😅

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Necromancer should have gotten a condition-based spear, not another power weapon.

I'm not a fan of Ranger's spear. The game needs less Stealth, not more.

The color palette seen on these skills was present on a number of firebrand skills (Tome of courage specifically for example), and I guess they weighted yellow more for the whole "sun" theme of it. Tho I aggre that the balance of blue to yellow is too much yellow for my liking, I am also not quite convinced about whole illuminated mechanics, but I will need to see the tooltips to get a proper opinion on the weapon. 

As for Ranger's spear, tbh that one sounds most interesting from all three to me mechanically. I am ok with ranger getting another very short stealth window, it is still far from getting into problematic territory of the likes of thief, and I am looking forward to seeing how that weapon will work out.

1 hour ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Guardian skills look really cool, and the descriptions sounds neat, but they also raise questions. A symbol that knocks enemies back and requires you to stand in it? Does that mean the spear skills have enough range to reach the knocked back foes while you are still in the symbol? Do you lose out on symbol pulse damage if you push enemies out of it? I'm seeing backward synergies here, like with the melee pistol symbol all over again.

Not sure why my mind instantly fixated on potential WvW usage, but the way I could see this symbol used, would be it's illuminated version in zerg clashes, depending on how conditions will pan out for accessing illuminated version of the symbol, it could work with melee push to disrupt enemy formation, and allow to burst guaranteed illuminated whever else is not on the cooldown yet. For PvE I guess it could be used for CC+burst phases of bosses?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trejgon.9367 said:

Not sure why my mind instantly fixated on potential WvW usage, but the way I could see this symbol used, would be it's illuminated version in zerg clashes, depending on how conditions will pan out for accessing illuminated version of the symbol, it could work with melee push to disrupt enemy formation, and allow to burst guaranteed illuminated whever else is not on the cooldown yet. For PvE I guess it could be used for CC+burst phases of bosses?

I'm getting mix of CC and support vibes from it, maybe? Might not be an offensive weapon.

10 minutes ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

I'm getting mix of CC and support vibes from it, maybe? Might not be an offensive weapon.

Well in my head it would be within the scope of that guardian being on it's usual support slot, not primary dps, but I see how the usage of term "burst" could imply damage dealing potential. From the little info we did get, at least in my head it sounds like potential candidate for a melee train support weapon. But we will see how it pans out in practice once details are revealed (and/or during betas).

• Like 1

Adding to the vote of Condition spear on Necro.

Power spear makes no sense, plus its playstyle seems like it actively is trying to canivalize greatsword's execute-based playstyle. This is also coming immediately after Swords were added as a power weapon option to pair up with greatsword for range play.

We need a weapon with condi cleave ALA warrior sword or guardian axe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

The guardian symbol animation is so sick, my god, ty anet. I wonder it is a ground target ability like DH f2, instead of lock us in place one like gs4. If it is a ground target the sinergy betwen it and resistance will be perfect (resistace seens to be applied on cast), my only criticism  is about the cc on the symbol, "knock enemies back" has 0 sinergy with a static ability like symbol, a knockdown, pull or stum would be way better.

• Confused 1

Ranger Spear having both ranged and melee auto chains is so great and combined with stealth attacks it should give a ton more situational play. Really looking forward to Spear/Hammer Untamed.

But, for the love of God, please make more of the skills be "You AND your pet do X". Particularly the leaps or shadowsteps to target.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, zicaB.1794 said:

my only criticism  is about the cc on the symbol, "knock enemies back" has 0 sinergy with a static ability like symbol, a knockdown, pull or stum would be way better.

Exactly. Any ability that scatters/pushes away enemies from the cleave zone is generally a bad choice in huge majority of PvE content. It's fine only for those mobs on which the pushback doesn't work. This does bring up a question why it's a pushback and not something more relevant like pull or knockdown instead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, Victor Sniders.7516 said:

I'm SO disappointed that necros are once again getting a power weapon. Not to mention that it sounds to have very similar mechanics to greatsword (higher damage under half health and skill resets.) You'd think Necromancers the poster-child  for conditions would have AT LEAST one melee condition-focused weapon. Hell, I would have been happy if it was a support weapon (which we ALSO don't really have.) You had a chance with dual-swords, but no, instead they had to make axe/focus obsolete and now spear will do the same for greatsword...

For some constructive feedback: If changing the spear to condis is too hard/late, is it possible to make the shards created by the spear heal in an area around the necro when spent? Then at least it could be useful for support builds.

Honestly I'd rather have a mh dagger pulse healing to allies on dagger 2 xD

• Like 1