Redesign Eparch in Lonely Tower

Posted (edited)

Four things need to be changed with Eparch in Lonely Tower

1. Orbs spawned have a grace period before he can absorb them. Spawning them and then instantly absorbing them before anyone can do anything is so scuffed.

2. Give his spin a warning indicator. The combat performance in GW2 is designed so that people need to stay in melee and remain close to each other to do maximum damage, there's no way the spin can be avoided this way. This mechanic punishes people for playing as intended.

3. Make the effect of the spin like the Enforcer's in KO CM so that there's no damage and reduced pull effect right outside the immediate area. Right now even if you avoid the direct damage if you end up in stuff there's no way you can get out of it unless you Dodge, and if you Dodge there's no way you can use it to avoid whatever he does next, and/or you're unable to reach the orbs he spawns in time before he absorbs them.

4. Increase the timer between him doing things. He does actions way too often for you to do anything really save for when he's stunned. This screws over people who need to be in melee to do their DPS and massively favours ranged.

Lonely Tower Eparch is a dynamic fight and I really like that it never follows along on a set "X% this happens," and the encounter needs to be changed because right now you get punished for stuff even if you do everything right and that's bad game design. No mechanic should ever punish people for playing as intended. If you want to implement something that does then the combat system has a weakness that needs to be patched.

Edited by Malus.2184

18 hours ago, Malus.2184 said:

This mechanic punishes people for playing as intended (...) the encounter needs to be changed because right now you get punished for stuff even if you do everything right (...) No mechanic should ever punish people for playing as intended.

Hello can of wurms, not gonna touch this but I can already see a very long chain...

More to the point, it's a coin flip if the encounter will ever get any more attention because as is, I have a feeling Anet is trying to do content like the other game where stuff gets released often enough that people just move on quickly and stop bothering with old janky content since they only need to bait you long enough for you to buy the next one.

I know I'm hijacking the thread a little bit, but bear with me, because your grievances with Eparch are a symptom of a much bigger problem, a kitten if you will that's taking root and very very few people seem to be able to see far away enough to speak about it, this is what is like to be a chess player I guess...

You see when I voiced my reservations about going from 6 map releases per season to 3 in IBS the big wigs were quick to claim "achually it was suppose to be 5, but then 2020..." fast forward to SotO and look at that, 3 maps, and how many maps we're getting in JW? Why 3 maps of course, so tell me again how that wasn't by design all along and how the new strategy isn't to turn these around these quickly every year because they know their current audience will just keep buying the next one... "it will be good this time!"

Notice how IBS started strong but then meh.

Notice how SotO started strong but then meh.

Notice how JW is probably gonna start strong but then meh...

"Achually IBS was free not a paid expansion and at the end they dropped it for EoD development"

It was free because they were trying to convince the players these new "Seasons" were gonna be good enough to pay for and as it bombed they had to make a normal expansion to bring in the money, and then they got right back on the IBS blue print for SotO, JW will have the exact same DNA.

So you can expect these yearly releases to start well enough and players will buy them only for them to quickly cave in the middle and towards the end and then oh look at that! New shiny one, don't ask questions, consume product, forget the last one! You'll be getting a lot more Eparchs with this blue print if it doesn't change, you can take that to the bank.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Hello can of wurms, not gonna touch this but I can already see a very long chain...

More to the point, it's a coin flip if the encounter will ever get any more attention because as is, I have a feeling Anet is trying to do content like the other game where stuff gets released often enough that people just move on quickly and stop bothering with old janky content since they only need to bait you long enough for you to buy the next one.

Except they have gone back and changed things on some encounters, Kanaxai was both bug-fixed and mechanically changed.

Umbriel is also a really strong fight, I like that things are actually happening and that you as a player need to adjust to it all the time, situational awareness is good. I wish the Kanaxai fight was more like Umbriel. If I die on Umbriel I know it was because I messed up rather than because of some BS happening.

Lonely Tower Eparch is conceptually a really strong fight that needs some design changes. Notice that all the things in my post are adjustments to the mechanics rather than asking for new ones because the ones that are right are BS in their expression.

All that said, it does give me hope that the raid bosses are more than just mobs that stand still and do nothing since 2/3 of the big fights implemented in "The Midnight King" are fights that require a lot from the player. "Into the Spider's Lair" Eparch is a design failure since he just stands there and throws some balls while tanking a lot of damage.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Confused 1

On 6/9/2024 at 12:26 AM, Malus.2184 said:

1. Orbs spawned have a grace period before he can absorb them. Spawning them and then instantly absorbing them before anyone can do anything is so scuffed.

to add to this, it would be nice if there was a little timer type icon above the orbs showing how long you have before they are absorbed. something like the timer circle on the bomb mechanic at dhuum should work. I know it would add to the visual clutter in a fight that's already a mess visually, but it would be nice to see how long we have before we fail... 

1 hour ago, emtea.6931 said:

to add to this, it would be nice if there was a little timer type icon above the orbs showing how long you have before they are absorbed. something like the timer circle on the bomb mechanic at dhuum should work. I know it would add to the visual clutter in a fight that's already a mess visually, but it would be nice to see how long we have before we fail... 

putting timer above essence is not really possible, since absorb doesnt happen on strict timer. he does absorb every about ~45-50s, depending on what skills did he cast earlier, how long his previous cc was and how much he moves around.

what i would like to see is either "aftercast" for his skills, so rage/envy skills doesnt last 2-4s and give more time or "grace period" so if essence hit ground, it cannot be absorbed in next say 5s (this alone would solve a lot of issues)

11 hours ago, Nimris.3781 said:

putting timer above essence is not really possible, since absorb doesnt happen on strict timer. he does absorb every about ~45-50s, depending on what skills did he cast earlier, how long his previous cc was and how much he moves around.

what i would like to see is either "aftercast" for his skills, so rage/envy skills doesnt last 2-4s and give more time or "grace period" so if essence hit ground, it cannot be absorbed in next say 5s (this alone would solve a lot of issues)

That would also work, I've literally seen orbs being absorbed despite barely touching the ground.

I think there are 2 main issues with Eparch that makes this fractal unenjoyable for a lot of people:

• As has been mentioned, the fact that he tends to throw out orbs and then pretty much immediately eat them doesn't really give much change for us to prevent him gaining stacks.
  • Even one envy stack makes him corrupt all boons. If it were lower so that he corrupts one boons per stack or even one boon per every 2 sstacks that would make a huge difference. Most experienced t4 groups tend to fail pretty quickly after even one envy stack since the condi clean can't really keep up; if I get 6-7 boons corrupted it's really hard to survive it.
  • Combining the 2 above (Eparch throws out a few envy orbs then insta eats them + this gives him all-boon corrupt) makes it really hard to get even close to completing.

On 100 we can't even counter the envy since he tends to get 5 stacks from it and then we strip 2 so he basically has permanent envy stacks.

Now, I know there's any number of people who can do this and most of them probably even do it on the CM - and that's fine. All I'm trying to say is that the general t4 crew seems to have given up on lonely tower t4 (anecdotal evidence for sure), so maybe - just maybe - this boss is a bit over the mark for what a t4 should be. I guess I'm asking Anet to re-balance this fight for a general experienced t4 population who doesn't want to (or have the expertise to) play CM-level fights.

• Like 2