Lonely Tower CM - Thoughts

Posted (edited)

Just a quick and sloppy list of what I feel could be changed for the better, after a few runs and a clear with a dedicated CM group;

- Starting part including Deimos and Cerus could be removed for CM, it's bloat. Not terrible, not necessary either and it breaks CM tradition by carrying over from NMs.

- Mechanics come out just a bit faster than they should, it feels like, space them out by X seconds more. Not by too much, just give a bit of a reprieve because it can get really silly especially with Green Orbs getting launched to the other side of the arena while he goes into CC phase and sucks them in. To which I should add that perhaps an alternative would be that some scenarios should be completely impossible to occur, like the one I just described.

- Add Phase is 100% broken and I don't even know where to start with balance suggestions on it, I guess the HP amount? In general it's just bad, it feels bad and it plays bad.

- The Suck Roulette... Please give us a way to manipulate whose group member's Orbs Eparch will suck, much like what I said above it can randomly create situations that are absolutely horrible to deal with, if even possible in some instances. Alternatively allow us to drain him during CC like in NM.

Edit : 

- Much like Silent Surf, or in fact much like several encounters across GW2 at this point, it seems ranged Condi classes have a clear advantage here. More so considering the complexity of rotation VS the pay off and even more when we consider that major, frequently recurring mechanics demand a lot of movement. It can be argued that the reward for the effort for classes like BladeSworn for example is non existent but it can also vary a little since Condi DD Thief is in fact quite an excellent choice for Eparch. I think that's an exception though. In general I'd appreciate ANet addressing this going forward and designing their encounters to be a bit more accommodating, or at least just as demanding for most if not all game play styles. If it were up to me, I'd choose the prior over the latter.

- Some modifiers(Again I'll bring up Flux Bomb or having Condi applied on hit) can make dealing with mechanics much more frustrating.

Edited by Kunavi.2407
Added 2 points I left out due to lack of caffeine.
  • Like 2

- Pre event absolutely should be removed for CM 100%.

-The boss only does patterns into CC. They should let him to a few basic attacks between each pattern so that it makes orb collection easier and so that he doesn't suck the orbs instantly.

-Make a indicator on target player who will get his stacks sucked just before breakbar. Like in the pre-event Deimos and Cerus have separate aggros with different red/blue indicators on players.

-Rework the add phase. Maybe make him do a mega-breakbar where you have to kill the adds to spawn orbs and use the orbs to CC him, afterwhich he sucks all the orbs left on the ground. (For sure they're gonna fix the gluttony abuse and make it harder.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nemesis Ghost.5782 said:

-Make a indicator on target player who will get his stacks sucked just before breakbar. Like in the pre-event Deimos and Cerus have separate aggros with different red/blue indicators on players.

This kind of got me thinking about the cosmic observatory and it's arrow that goes to a single ally and everyone stacks in front of them to reduce the damage. Convoluted half baked idea incoming...

So for the CC mechanic, make the same tell go to a randomly marked ally before the break bar, and now an ally can stand in front of that person and have their essences sucked away instead of the marked one. And we delete envy, cause what an a awful designed mechanic in a meta designed around pumping out as many boons per second, and we replace it with Hubris (or whatever). And you want Eparch to consume those stacks because it reduces his hp, or increases his incoming damage, or whatever. 

Doesn't solve the other issues of the fractal but makes that single part less frustrating.... and gets rid of envy... kittening envy.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What about...

- Encounter starts with Add Phase; 3 larger enemies can be CCed for Mabon to drain, powering up the group with a SAK. Their HP doesn't matter, in fact in this case bloated HP would help clue people to the fact that they shouldn't be bothering with DPS, just need to CC.

- Eparch will indicate who will be drained with a marker, that person has to use their SAK at the right moment to prevent it.

- During Add Phases, we repeat CCing 3 larger enemies, charging up our SAK for when Eparch picks a target to drain again.

- Smaller enemies can still be there during Add Phase to put some pressure on the group to CC the 3 larger ones in a quick and organized manner. Someone in the group could be assigned to deal with the trash while the rest CC the 3 larger ones.

Edit :

If that would be too easy for CM, then give the SAK a time limit. If the group can't trigger the Add Phase in time, it will not be available and Eparch's designated target will get drained.

Edited by Kunavi.2407

I actually don't mind the Deimos and Cerus fight, I'd be fine if that was left in for CM. it would be nicer if there was a meaning to the mechanics there, at least on CM. instead of just stacking both of them and standing in oils and face tanking everything, that's just dumb.

what is NOT FINE is the ridiculous, childish mini game thing where you hit 1 to 5 repeatedly.. this is extremely boring gameplay after the first time. busy work for no reward. 

• Like 3

ok so it's not a "skip" at all, you can just bug the adds to despawn? it wasn't the adds that I was complaining about, it was the ridiculously boring mini game that needs to be done x4, then again after walking to the other room

Well, it's very fast and removes the need to fight off enemies, I'd argue it's unintended so to me it counts as a skip of sorts. In any case it's there and it's very easy to do so that part doesn't really bother me. At the same time sure, it could be removed from CM and I wouldn't care.