Would You Consider 11 Steps?

Dear ANet,

This is my insight on what could be possible...given our current mechanics.

Hoping to encourage an alternative solution to your World Restructuring & eventual deployment of the Alliances mechanic that you have yet to detail for the community.

Maybe these 11 steps can help you consider evolving WvW into a truly competitive game mode that it should be...imho

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 11 Steps - HowTo Re-Design WvW Match-Up Mechanic into a Competitive Game Mode.

1)   Use 3 maps to create the basic "WvW Battle Match-Up Maps" that players are allowed to visit & fight on.

2)   Color defines which of the 3 maps become a player's (Home Server) & which are (Enemy Servers).

3)   To reduce coding - Remove these maps TEMPORARILY:  Eternal Battlegrounds, Obsidian Sanctum, and Edge of the Mists.

4)   Replace All World Servers by assigning each to a single map instance.  Allow players to pick only 1 World map to be their (Red) Home Server.

5)   Allow players to [ Quarterly change their (Red) Home Server ] to a New Server that's NOT Full.  Assign a "cost" to this option.

6)   Allow players to [ Weekly Pick & Change ] who they want to fight against as their Enemy World Servers (Green & Blue).

7)   Re-Code [Server Guesting] into a [WvW Server Raiding] mechanic that allows players to visit their Weekly chosen (Green & Blue) Enemy Maps.

😎   Implement a Server Ranking System based on total points earned by the population of its players.

9)   Code WvW so that Players GET MORE (Rank & Personal) REWARDS for DEFENDING their (Red) Home server map.

10)  Code WvW so that Players GET MORE (Rank & Personal) REWARDS for ONLY ATTACKING HIGHER Ranked Enemy server maps.

11)  Code WvW so that Players GET ZERO (Rank & Personal) REWARDS for ATTACKING ANY LOWER Ranked Enemy server maps.

Yours truly,
Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

Guild Wars 2: How To Use Guesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QDAbCF_xlc&pp=ygUcZ3VpbGQgd2FycyAyIHNlcnZlciBndWVzdGluZw%3D%3D

Edited by Diku.2546
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

9 minutes ago, Diku.2546 said:

3)    To reduce coding - Remove following maps that can later return:  Eternal Battlegrounds, Obsidian Sanctum, and Edge of the Mists.

4)    ANet creates & assigns a single Alpine map instance to All Current World Servers.

no mention of desert map yet otherwise too narrow and big suggestion, a wasted effort.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, bq pd.2148 said:

no mention of desert map yet otherwise too narrow and big suggestion, a wasted effort.

Trying to keep it simple as possible.

Future maps in my notes would be coded to be interchangeable.

• Confused 1

3)    To reduce coding - Remove following maps that can later return:  Eternal Battlegrounds, Obsidian Sanctum, and Edge of the Mists.

4)    ANet creates & assigns a single Alpine map instance to All Current World Servers

More like vice versa, remove them ugly and boring Alpine Borderlands.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hope we're on the same page...

Sure, let's replace the "boring" Alpine maps with something else.

Future maps in my notes would be coded to be interchangeable.

So if you don't like Alpine...swap in the Desert maps.  Rotate different maps in & out of play to help keep things interesting.

The whole point of these 11 steps leads to replacing our current pigeon-holed & over-stacked 3 way match-up mechanics of World Servers stuck in Tiers...

Into a self-regulating....pure King of the Hill Match-up design...where the Top Ranked WvW servers are made the target of all LOWER ranked servers.

Players are able to weekly pick which 2 servers among all WvW servers that they want to visit & fight against themselves...instead of letting ANet pick their paired match-ups.

Please re-read the 11 steps with this in mind.  If you can understand this intent...bless you.

This thread is trying to redesign the WvW Match-Up mechanics that will allow it to evolve as a competitive game mode that does not depend on team manipulation mechanics to create balanced Match-Ups...imho

Edited by Diku.2546
  • Confused 2

I am sure that the developers will get right on it.

I mean it took them 3 years of developing the "beta" which we are entering into end of this week.

Why not use the last 3 days to uproot and rework the entire system again?

/s

It's amazing to me how people have 0 understanding of development time lines and how many work hours go into programming.

No, the developers will not take any of these suggestions seriously. Here is what is going to happen: WvW Restructuring BETA is going to go live.

Then, the developers will monitor how things are going and then hopefully make adjustments if needed and expand on the design.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

This is what is going to happen if they implement this craziness. 

The stacking would be absolute. The sweatiest gamers would group together and be king of the hill forever and ever. And absolutely no one would pick them to fight. 

When the monsters get bored, they would just go to a different world en masse, and farm unsuspecting PUGS. Ad infinitum.

You can't let the players balance themselves, no game let us do that for a very good reason, it makes it unplayable for the vast majority.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, disForm.2837 said:

You can't let the players balance themselves, no game let us do that for a very good reason, it makes it unplayable for the vast majority.

You’re saying you want Anet to forcibly balance the worlds in smaller groups instead of letting players stack entire worlds by transferring there?

Hm. Interesting idea. But it seems unlikely to ever happen in the next few days.

12 hours ago, Diku.2546 said:

Players are able to weekly pick which 2 servers among all WvW servers that they want to visit & fight against themselves...instead of letting ANet pick their paired match-ups.

This would be even worse than the current highly manipulated PPT based tiers.

On 6/12/2024 at 6:40 AM, TheIceman.1039 said:

4)    ANet creates & assigns a single Alpine map instance to All Current World Servers

More like vice versa, remove them ugly and boring Alpine Borderlands.

Alpine is the only fun wvw map.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2024 at 7:41 PM, Cyninja.2954 said:

I am sure that the developers will get right on it.

I mean it took them 3 years of developing the "beta" which we are entering into end of this week.

Why not use the last 3 days to uproot and rework the entire system again?

/s

It's amazing to me how people have 0 understanding of development time lines and how many work hours go into programming.

No, the developers will not take any of these suggestions seriously. Here is what is going to happen: WvW Restructuring BETA is going to go live.

Then, the developers will monitor how things are going and then hopefully make adjustments if needed and expand on the design.

WvW is a service/product in my opinion...

I'm the consumer of said service/product.

This is my personal feedback to the creators of WvW.

It does not matter if I have a deep understanding or absolutely no clue at all regarding development time lines.

What matters to me is that I know exactly what I like & what I do not like about this game.

i.e. - Ask any consumer of Coke when New Coke hit the shelves.

I want to see Top Ranked WvW servers become the target of all Lower Ranked WvW Servers.

I want to see players that are on a Top Ranked Servers get NO REWARDS for attacking any Lower Ranked Servers in bullying weaker servers into submission.

I want to see players being able to weekly pick & attack who they want to fight against.

I want to see players defend their Home Server where it gives meaning & purpose & get rewarded for it.

Yours truly,
Diku

Edited by Diku.2546
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 3:02 AM, disForm.2837 said:

This is what is going to happen if they implement this craziness. 

The stacking would be absolute. The sweatiest gamers would group together and be king of the hill forever and ever. And absolutely no one would pick them to fight. 

When the monsters get bored, they would just go to a different world en masse, and farm unsuspecting PUGS. Ad infinitum.

Appreciate your feedback & here's my solution.

Most discussions here are pointless & cater to a forum's expert need to be self heard...myself included...imho.

Updated 11 Steps - HowTo Re-Design WvW Match-Up Mechanic into a Competitive Game Mode.

1)   Use 3 maps to create the basic "WvW Battle Match-Up Maps" that players are allowed to visit & fight on.

2)   Color defines which of the 3 maps become a player's (Home Server) & which are (Enemy Servers).

3)   To reduce coding - Remove these maps TEMPORARILY:  Eternal Battlegrounds, Obsidian Sanctum, and Edge of the Mists.

4)   Replace All World Servers by assigning each to a single map instance.  Allow players to pick only 1 World map to be their (Red) Home Server.

5)   Allow players to [ Quarterly change their (Red) Home Server ] to a New Server that's NOT Full.  Assign a "cost" to this option.

6)   Allow players to [ Weekly Pick & Change ] who they want to fight against as their Enemy World Servers (Green & Blue).

7)   Re-Code [Server Guesting] into a [WvW Server Raiding] mechanic that allows players to visit their Weekly chosen (Green & Blue) Enemy Maps.

😎   Implement a Server Ranking System based on total points earned by the population of its players.

9)   Code WvW so that Players GET MORE (Rank & Personal) REWARDS for DEFENDING their (Red) Home server map.

10)  Code WvW so that Players GET MORE (Rank & Personal) REWARDS for ONLY ATTACKING HIGHER Ranked Enemy server maps.

11)  Code WvW so that Players GET ZERO (Rank & Personal) REWARDS for ATTACKING ANY LOWER Ranked Enemy server maps.

Server stacking can not be stopped, but rewards can be TOTALLY denied to players that want to bully "weaker" LOWER Ranked servers.

The "King of the Hill" for each region in WvW need to fight off all Lower Ranked Servers while only being rewarded for DEFFENDING.

WvW World Servers should expanded for EU, NA, and yet to be created...ASIA.  My vision of WvW is much larger than these 11 steps...which only provide a foundation on where to start.

These 11 steps provide the foundation to a New WvW Match-Up Re-Design that will allow it to evolve into a more competitive game mode...imho

This Match-Up design is better than what we had in the past & our current WR Match-Up design that is not clearly defined.

Past & current solutions do nothing to fix the population imbalance.

I believe population imbalance is not fixable & this game mode should instead...fully embrace this aspect as part of its heritage by using a Match-Up design that completely allows it....imho

I'm still waiting for ANet or anyone else here that can explain How our current WR Match-Up Re-Design works in 11 or Less Steps that provides solutions that this community has been asking about for years.

Yours truly,
Diku

Guild Wars 2: How To Use Guesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QDAbCF_xlc&pp=ygUcZ3VpbGQgd2FycyAyIHNlcnZlciBndWVzdGluZw%3D%3D

2024.06.11 - Old post of 11 Steps for reference

1)   Set & Configure WvW "Battle Match-Ups Maps" to use only 3 maps that are color coded as (Red, Green, and Blue).

2)   Color code helps to configure a player's (Home Server) & which (Enemy Servers) gets "pulled" up for them to visit & fight on.

3)   To reduce coding - Remove following maps that can later return:  Eternal Battlegrounds, Obsidian Sanctum, and Edge of the Mists.

4)   ANet creates & assigns a single Alpine map instance to All Current World Servers.

5)   ANet re-designs WvW to quarterly ask players to pick which World Server they want to be their (Red) Home server...IF they want to change it.

6)   ANet re-designs WvW to weekly ask players to pick their Enemy World Servers (Green & Blue) to fight against.

7)   ANet re-codes current [Server Guesting] into a [Server Raiding] mechanic that lets players visit their weekly chosen (Green & Blue) Enemy maps.

😎   ANet implements a server ranking system based on total points earned by its population of players.

9)   ANet encourages players to defend on their (Red) Home server with MORE rewards than attacking Enemy servers.

10)  ANet encourages players to attack (Green & Blue) Enemy servers that are Ranked HIGHER than their (Red) Home server with MORE rewards.

11)  ANet discourages players to attack (Green & Blue) Enemy servers that are Ranked LOWER than their (Red) Home server with LESS rewards.

Edited by Diku.2546

On 6/11/2024 at 10:37 PM, Diku.2546 said:

This would just lead to MAG mentality.  Stay on your HBL (they did EBG but since here EBG isn't a thing, etc.) and farm pips until you get bored, unless you are the weakest server in the grouping, then you get to attack other BLs.  

What's the point of winning here? 

I'm not even sure you can win as the lowest ranked server would have to attack two BLs who both just need to turtle up; it would take a herculin effort to move up.  Then when you DO move up, you get nothing for actively playing the game, only passively defending for weeks on end.

As really, the #1 server only needs to worry about #2.  Anything below #2 is weaker and would never be able to move up.  So, no matter how many servers raided #1, they wouldn't care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diku.2546 said:

It does not matter if I have a deep understanding or absolutely no clue at all regarding development time lines.

Well what could possibly go wrong, just look at the car designed by Homer Simpson, he knew exactly what he liked and what he didn't.