Good Celestial Greatsword Build?

YVictory.6840

Hi all,

I've recently started playing around with Lord Hizen's celestial builds, and while they deliver great sustainability, DPS, and survivability, I don't find the mace+axe as enjoyable as the greatsword. The power and impact of that weapon and the flow feel much better to me than other options. Is there any good celestial build for a greatsword? 

Thanks in advance

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, YVictory.6840 said:

Hi all,

I've recently started playing around with Lord Hizen's celestial builds, and while they deliver great sustainability, DPS, and survivability, I don't find the mace+axe as enjoyable as the greatsword. The power and impact of that weapon and the flow feel much better to me than other options. Is there any good celestial build for a greatsword? 

Thanks in advance

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAEVlhQmsI6kJRpMIClBSqMBqkD1zaUF-DyIY1oivMaMFysCM5rQACZP8AA-e

Edited by arazoth.7290
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Celestial stats are OP, you gain baseline on evrything more then enough then you can combine for same time having enough sustain.

You only need towards more power damage while holding same time enough condition damage while swapping to shortbow. This can be done by The required runes, infusions, relic and sigils.

But for more power damage, you can trait for it less defensive traitlines and more berserker/dragon stats then celestial stats. But that's at the cost of sustain. and you can also change mallyx stance to dwarf stance. Greatsword + hammer as power weapons fit too (I wouldn't go for these 2 combined cele stats though).

I Guess you wanted to hold on your sustain for open world while still doing enough damage same time. So that's why I linked that build. 

Just to clarify there are more options, but it depends how you want it. And there is more build variety then some think here or haven't tried and just outright say nope because hard stuck beliefs. 

But that's fine everyone their thing and there are enough other build variety options like I said here.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Celestial stats are OP, you gain baseline on evrything more then enough then you can combine for same time having enough sustain.

You only need towards more power damage while holding same time enough condition damage while swapping to shortbow. This can be done by The required runes, infusions, relic and sigils.

But for more power damage, you can trait for it less defensive traitlines and more berserker/dragon stats then celestial stats. But that's at the cost of sustain. and you can also change mallyx stance to dwarf stance. Greatsword + hammer as power weapons fit too (I wouldn't go for these 2 combined cele stats though).

I Guess you wanted to hold on your sustain for open world while still doing enough damage same time. So that's why I linked that build. 

Just to clarify there are more options, but it depends how you want it. And there is more build variety then some think here or haven't tried and just outright say nope because hard stuck beliefs. 

But that's fine everyone their thing and there are enough other build variety options like I said here.

Thank you. I'll try it out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YVictory.6840 said:

. Is there any good celestial build for a greatsword? 

Not in PvE.

Celestial is very strong, as long as a build is able to take advantage of all the stats, and that means that becoming very tanky because HP + armor + boon duration + healing power is not as great if your build just soaks damage; celestial is really great in hybrid builds because on top of high sustain you still are able to push more than decent damage (~21k+ dps in the Hizen build in optimal conditions.).

Mace, axe and short bow are hybrid weapons which deliver strong condition damage with a bit of extra physical damage. Greatsword, on the other hand, is a pure physical damage weapon: it only delivers chill once every 3 auto attacks and in Phantom Onslaught, and albeit those chills can be traited in Corruption to proc torment those procs are really weak if you don't run mace and short bow.

On the other hand, the raw physical damage from Greatsword while running cele stats is too weak, specially since you need Invocation + Devastation to max out the physical damage, and the cele builds from Hizen or Arazotrh don't take those due would compromise the sustain.

In the past Hizen had both a cele Vindi build and a power Vindi build and for a while I played both at OW PvE, and well before the boon nerfs the power build (with greatsword and berserker stats) was WAY weaker than the celestial one: the damage was similar or lower but due the much lower armor, lower HP, worse regen procs and boon duration the self sustain was bad. Still some bounties were doable (2/3 to me) in power stats (I was running Marauder + Dragon) but it was way worse because not only was easier to be killed but also the kill times were worse. Why? Because with cele your condi procs are constantly making a dent in the enemy, even when you're defending yourself, whereas with power every time you spent blocking, evading or cleansing conditions you were doing 0 damage.

I've playing a cele build with greatsword + short bow in WvW for a while and worked well, because the greatsword provided mobility and defense, but most of the damage came from the short bow and NOT from the greatsword:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAEVlZSMsTqjhScsUyjpSksSign1UeMC-DWZYbBhJGVcDzBReIZKF6VEUhCQkXCSgA7h7HSC4BA-w

This build won't work well at PvE, and a celestial build in PvE with greatswork won't work as well as one using condi weapons. If you want to run greastword in PvE you'll need to ditch celestial stats, the corruption trait line and be ready to suffer and work a lot harder than the cele builds to take down some Hero Point Champions and Bounties/Legendary bounties, and also you'll need to push a lot more keystrokes x minute.  In my opiniongreatsword works well with power stats at PvP and with power or cele stats at WvW, but at PvE if you want to wield the greatsword you'll need power stats and traitlines and play in group. For solo PvE cele Rev >>> power Rev.

Edit: also to add that those were considerations before the latest nerfs to boon duration in Vassals of the Empire. After the nerfs I didn't saw cele Vindi losing too much (despite Nike claiming how the patch destroyed Vindi and made Herald stronger, which I don't agree), but I'm sure that the change DID affect more the power variant, since the cele one still has over 24k HP,  3k armor and 702 healing power and 63% boon duration so a bit less boons doesn't matter that much, whereas the power build has 700 less armor, 600 less healing power and 0 boon duration. In other words: the neft barely dent the sustain from cele Vindi, whereas sustain from power Vindi went to the trash can.

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 2

So as mentioned above. Celestial, while a strong option for most open world playstyles, isn’t the best when combined with pure power weapons. The gear set works best with either pure condi or hybrid weapons. Greatsword and swords on rev  are pure power weapons. The reason that these weapons don’t feel as impactful as the condi/hybrid weapons is due to the lack of precision in the stats  and the weapon itself not applying any damaging conditions. If you don’t crit, ferocity is wasted. If you aren’t applying conditions, condi damage and expertise is wasted. (Granted expertise for the vuln, and chill isn’t totally wasted, but it’s not game changing). A lot of the power damage and bursts of pure power weapons are weighted into its crits and ferocity. The closer to 100% crit chance you get, the better the weapons feel.

if you’re okay with the lower damage and just want thematic weapons to use, go for greatsword in celestial gear. You’ll be fine in open world and stories and 90% of the content. You may just want more umph later down the line as you gain more experience with the class.

If you have access to the newer relics, Zakiros is a fantastic option for pure power builds. It heals you for 4% of every critical strike damage you deal. It basically rewards you for being more bursty and more aggressive. However it rewards you for being weighted more towards the glassier side to get more healing. So you’re looking at berserker, assasssin, dragon, and if you want boon duration, diviner. Because it only heals on crit, you want to hit 100% crit chance too. Not too difficult with the invocation line. Also the faster you fit the more you heal so looking at herald or vindicator for that quickness source. Which leaves retrib, salv, or deva trait line available to play around with. Salv still winning out for the most defensive line even without heal power. Retrib next, and deva last (man I miss how good devastations life steal use to be.) there’s a bunch of ways to build it to your liking. When I have time, I’ll post the build I’ve been testing in open world that uses the power weapons while trying to mirror the sustain of celestial… spoiler, it’s not as good as celestial salv vindi, but it’s not bad.

Edited by UncreativeGreen.2019
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, UncreativeGreen.2019 said:

When I have time, I’ll post the build I’ve been testing in open world that uses the power weapons while trying to mirror the sustain of celestial

Here's the build I mentioned... 
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAExzlZSMsTyjlSdMUijpSksSigp8Ve0C-DSZYBhDfLqH4gOOnwkABKEKUgmpooUFQFCIFfgoEjph40ohCnRgKA-e
It's no where near the tankiness that celestial salv vindi provides, but the sustain honestly isn't too far behind. So as long as you don't get 1 shot or just stand around in damage picking your nose, then It's pretty hard to die on it. The more aggressive you go, the more you heal. So if you get chunked in a fight, don't be afraid to just keep attacking with fury and quickness up and apply as many hits per second to heal.
A few notes... This has some QoL in it. I sacrificed damage in this build to pick up traits I enjoy having and make the gameplay more relaxing. (still does 18-19k dps which is more than enough for open world.) What I'm getting at is that traits can be changed and sigils can be swapped out to your liking. The reasoning behind what I have in my sigils is because I play it like the pve dps vindi where I always pair my alliance stance with GS, and shiro stance with S/S. I abuse the double swap gimmick rev can do to proc my 'on swap' sigils every 9s even though they're on separate weapons. If you don't know how to do this, all it require you to do is swap legends first (the legend swap procs the sigil of your current weapon) and then swap weapons (the weapons swap procs the sigil of the weapon you're swapping to.) It just takes some practice and muscle memory and you really never think about it again. Very good trick to know for pvp and such. Anyways, because I wanted perma swiftness in combat I took Rapid flow over Incensed Response. This drastically reduces the might output of the build, but I hate being slow and generally don't like to mount spam to get around everywhere. I had to make up the might elsewhere. Battle and strength sigils paired with the might trait in deva and alliance (bonus regen too) lets me sit at perma 25 might. Then I like using celerity because I like to use Reavers Rage preemptively to have a high uptime on stab. This lets me essentially swap out one of the 3 Scavengers burst you need to do every alliance swap for the same amount of quickness. Also getting immobed sucks on Vindi as it locks out your dodge, so I took aggressive agility in Deva. Oh, and cleansing channel is just more QoL.... sometimes annoying to have a single condi lingering around and sometimes I'm just too lazy to alliance blue swap and deal with it xD. The rest of the Traits should be pretty standard or you should see a pretty simplistic synergy between them and why I took what I took.

Now If you wanted even more damage and less QoL you could go for something like this....
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAExzlZSMsTyjlSdMUijpSksSigJ/lesC-DSZYBhDfLqH4gOOmekAFKUzUUUqCoCBkiPQUix0Qca0QhzIQFA-e
Note: Stamina Sigil is not required, but boy is it fun on high burst builds in fights with a ton of low HP mobs around. The only time in the game where you get to RP as a pogo stick.

Or you can change things around to get extremely tanky...
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAEx7lZSHsTyhlSNMU6hpSfsSKgn10d0F-DSZYBhDfLqH4gOOnwkABKEKUgmpooUFQFCIFfgoEjp8hUwpRDFOjAVA-e
Though at this point I'd probably just stick to cele salv vindi... but It's an option and shows you how to play with traits and sigils to make different builds work.

Hit me up if you have questions.... and once again; These are all less tanky and have a tiny bit less sustain than the Cele Salv Vindi, but It's a different way to play that tries to mimic what that build accomplishes but with the power weapons in Rev's arsenal.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all of these can be altered to Herald quite easily if Vindi isn't your cup of tea.

Edited by UncreativeGreen.2019
Addition

On 6/12/2024 at 11:24 AM, YVictory.6840 said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAIFlZSHsTyhlSNMU6hpSfsSKglvkfMD-DSZYihIjEOqIpkmDlUyZkpKolpgMvPUgQ2DPAA-e

Power build with greatsword and hammer, but still tanky enough while having good damage

Use Energy Meld mostly with dwarf stance, to get full useage out of the abilities for offensive/sustain same time.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Severance 

How to get it, since I couldn't find it on trading post

31 minutes ago, Joxer.6024 said:

In the version of the video you quoted for this build, Lord Hizen doesn't even use the scepter. This weapon is one of the most useless since its release.

Even if I understand that you're quoting it for the GS, I'm just digressing.

Edited by Angesombre.4630

5 hours ago, Angesombre.4630 said:

In the version of the video you quoted for this build, Lord Hizen doesn't even use the scepter. This weapon is one of the most useless since its release.

Even if I understand that you're quoting it for the GS, I'm just digressing.

Nah i meant for GS use only. I think he was just trying to show the scepter since it was "new". Go on the discord and ask, he will share the why and why nots....but yea, scepter is poo poo...lol!  😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

scepter needs rework and buffed numbers atm...

The numbers are good, but the way it goes about achieving its numbers are so obnoxiously annoying to the user, most people just go back to mace.

It would need a bit more damage too. But when I see 3 years to remake the hammer, I tell myself we've got time. On the other hand, because of this, I feel cheated by SotO as a "revenant". Knowing that the weapon hadn't been shown before and that it's of poor design.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

The numbers are good, but the way it goes about achieving its numbers are so obnoxiously annoying to the user, most people just go back to mace.

maybe in pve then***

WvW and pvp the numbers are horrible for both power builds and support builds.

• Like 1