Warr Spear has got to be the most boring revealed yet

Jzaku.9765

• Ranged auto
  • Aoe
  • Dodge
  • Damage Burst skill

No mini-mechanic. Reading the other 5 revealed spear blurbs made me excited about them. I got to the end of Warrior and went wait, that's it?

You gave it less paragraphs than the other classes and spent an entire paragraph talking about the auto?

Edited by Jzaku.9765
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 7

It's a ranged weapon for warrior that actually has some chance of maybe being a good ranged weapon. That's massive.

EDIT: Reading through it again, there is at least one CC in there. So it has some synergy with spellbreaker disables. Not as much as hammer, obviously, but...

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

It's a ranged weapon for warrior that actually has some chance of maybe being a good ranged weapon. That's massive.

Just buff Rifle! Why is that such a big ask?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jzaku.9765 said:

Just buff Rifle! Why is that such a big ask?

By the time you have as many weapons as warrior does, I think it's a good thing to be more than one each of ranged condi and ranged power.

Introducing another one allows them to introduce a new set of skills that might thrive in situations rifle would do poorly at even if it was buffed (spear looks to have a lot more AoE, for instance), without removing the current rifle playstyle. Having more than one option also means that the profession as a whole is less sensitive to one of the options being in a poor state, since the other is an option and hopefully they won't both be bad at the same time.

It's not a guarantee, of course, but I think another ranged weapon is probably better for warrior overall than another 2H melee weapon would be at this point. And while the burst skill isn't a CC, neither is the burst skill for dagger. Spear does, however, have a knockback, and while it looks to be pretty much catalyst hammer air 4 take two, that might work better on a weapon that's actually useful at range.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

By the time you have as many weapons as warrior does, I think it's a good thing to be more than one each of ranged condi and ranged power.

Introducing another one allows them to introduce a new set of skills that might thrive in situations rifle would do poorly at even if it was buffed (spear looks to have a lot more AoE, for instance), without removing the current rifle playstyle. Having more than one option also means that the profession as a whole is less sensitive to one of the options being in a poor state, since the other is an option and hopefully they won't both be bad at the same time.

It's not a guarantee, of course, but I think another ranged weapon is probably better for warrior overall than another 2H melee weapon would be at this point. And while the burst skill isn't a CC, neither is the burst skill for dagger. Spear does, however, have a knockback, and while it looks to be pretty much catalyst hammer air 4 take two, that might work better on a weapon that's actually useful at range.

I'll remind you that it took 1 balance patch to turn Engi's extremely mediocre Rifle into the strongest weapon in the game (at the time), including multiple skill reworks that changed their functionality. All it takes is some concentrated effort.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The question i have, where will spear be played.

I doubt it will see play on Power Dps Berserker. Has to Out DPS Axe or GS.

It directly competes with MH dagger on Power SpB.

In openworld, it would compete with either MH Dagger or Rifle.

If the Primal Burst has no Hard CC on it, it wont replace Rifle for me.

And on my OW SpB it needs to be better than MH Dagger. Wich is a huge task for Anet given just how strong MH dagger is.

From what i have seen, i have no reason to play it so far. Atleast in Openworld.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hmm i could see spear/dagger shield or something might gonna be a thing. Also what Nobody here seem to notice ..... the AA chain is a ranged aoe Skill that actually incredible good but the Rest of attacks seems kinda underwhelming^^

13 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

And on my OW SpB it needs to be better than MH Dagger. Wich is a huge task for Anet given just how strong MH dagger is.

From what i have seen, i have no reason to play it so far. Atleast in Openworld.

I disagree, as long as it is able to provide decent AOE at range. I could see myself slotting it when I need/want a ranged weapon on power berserker that isn't rifle. It likely won't be the meta choice for any dps build, but it has potential as a power ranged weapon with AOE.

24 minutes ago, XSevSpreeX.2143 said:

I disagree, as long as it is able to provide decent AOE at range. I could see myself slotting it when I need/want a ranged weapon on power berserker that isn't rifle. It likely won't be the meta choice for any dps build, but it has potential as a power ranged weapon with AOE.

Cant see it replacing rifle on my OW berserker.

The Hard CC on burst it to important for perma quickness fury stab and 25might.

Atleast Rifle can keep up the boons from range. Something that Spear wont be able to. Atleast from what we have seen.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, XSevSpreeX.2143 said:

If ANet ever gets around to revamping Bloodlust to be "33% Chance on Hit" OR "100% Chance on Critical" then the spear could be a decent condi weapon for applying bleed at range.

... please ANet....

• Thanks 2

And just going off the animations from what I've seen compared to the other professions it looked pretty lack luster. Would it have killed them to give us Paragon wings on the F1? That's all I really have to go off of right now. Until I actually get a chance to play it I won't know.

Edited by Red Haired Savage.5430

33 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

I'll remind you that it took 1 balance patch to turn Engi's extremely mediocre Rifle into the strongest weapon in the game (at the time), including multiple skill reworks that changed their functionality. All it takes is some concentrated effort.

And it took 1 balance patch to nerf it again. Having two options means you're not so sensitive to the balance state of one weapon, since if it gets nerfed too hard, you can switch to another. And as I said, spear looks to be a lot more oriented towards fighting multiple enemies than rifle. 

Beats Hammer 2.0, which seems to be what you're asking for by insisting that it needs to have lots of CC to synergise with Spellbreaker.

34 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I reckon it'd have a strong chance to offset rifle at least in open world, especially if facing multiple opponents.

Also, referring to a later post, why would you want a ranged offhand? It's a 2H weapon. If you switch to a set with an offhand, you're on a melee set.

4 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I reckon it'd have a strong chance to offset rifle at least in open world, especially if facing multiple opponents.

Also, referring to a later post, why would you want a ranged offhand? It's a 2H weapon. If you switch to a set with an offhand, you're on a melee set.

Ohh yeah, its a 2h weapon brain fart.

I cant see a world of it replacing Rifle for me, as long as the primal doesnt have a Hard CC on it.

Thats WAY to important in OW.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

5 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Beats Hammer 2.0, which seems to be what you're asking for by insisting that it needs to have lots of CC to synergise with Spellbreaker.

You're confusing me with someone else. I simply wanted it to be interesting. Note that "Good/Powerful" is a different vector from "Interesting".

2 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

You're confusing me with someone else. I simply wanted it to be interesting. Note that "Good/Powerful" is a different vector from "Interesting".

Oh, I did too. My apologies.

I think it is interesting, though. It's not the flashiest spear, but warrior is warrior - it never is. On the other hand, it does appear to have spellbreaker/sunspeear roots in having some skills that have some magic to them.

8 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Ohh yeah, its a 2h weapon brain fart.

I cant see a world of it replacing Rifle for me, as long as the primal doesnt have a Hard CC on it.

Thats WAY to important in OW.

Quickness fury stab might?

Pretty sure a berserker will be able to get quickness and fury without a hard CC primal. Might should not be too hard if land spear still gets double benefit from Forceful Greatsword. You might not get perma-stab, but in most open world you don't need it.

2 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Oh, I did too. My apologies.

I think it is interesting, though. It's not the flashiest spear, but warrior is warrior - it never is. On the other hand, it does appear to have spellbreaker/sunspeear roots in having some skills that have some magic to them.

Quickness fury stab might?

Pretty sure a berserker will be able to get quickness and fury without a hard CC primal. Might should not be too hard if land spear still gets double benefit from Forceful Greatsword. You might not get perma-stab, but in most open world you don't need it.

Heat the soul, even with Disc is really bad on OW.

Because it hard requires you to play Disc. Which you dont necessarily want.

The boon duration is crazy short. Even with tons of  it, you wont get to a nice duration.

You are not on a golem in OW. Stuff dies, you can wiff your Burst for many reasons and no, i dont want barely enough quickness with lots of Boon duration investment.

3 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Heat the soul, even with Disc is really bad on OW.

Because it hard requires you to play Disc. Which you dont necessarily want.

The boon duration is crazy short. Even with tons of  it, you wont get to a nice duration.

You are not on a golem in OW. Stuff dies, you can wiff your Burst for many reasons and no, i dont want barely enough quickness with lots of Boon duration investment.

Whiffing your burst means you're not landing that primal burst CC either, and in OW, you generally don't need to have permaquickness all the time to do well. If spear's other capabilities are good enough, it'll probably be fine even if your boons drop off.

4 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Whiffing your burst means you're not landing that primal burst CC either, and in OW, you generally don't need to have permaquickness all the time to do well. If spear's other capabilities are good enough, it'll probably be fine even if your boons drop off.

Not needing Perma Quickness? Thats a hard requirement to even just enjoying playing the class. Not having quickness on warrior is GIGA kitten! Simply for the adrenalin mechanic and the weapons being slow as duck.

Aggressice onslaught means all CC gives you quickness and might. So a whiffed Burst it not so punishing.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

Seeing the regular burst, I think we can safely assume Primal one was already shown in the first trailer of Janthir Wilds (the alleged "ele" spear jump to throw a flaming spear)

That aside i totally feel the OP.
No new fun mechanic, just a spear.
This smells.. much like the rest of warrior weapons save staff.

But sure, warriors got pets and all, so let's give Ranger the cool weapons and keep warrior ones 2012...

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Cant see it replacing rifle on my OW berserker.

The Hard CC on burst it to important for perma quickness fury stab and 25might.

Atleast Rifle can keep up the boons from range. Something that Spear wont be able to. Atleast from what we have seen.

Dan, in no way is a Hard CC on Burst a firm requirement in OWPvE to maintain Perma quickness, fury, stab, and 25 might:

Example

I know you are fond of your build with that particular relic, which is fine, but you'll be able to pull perma quickness, fury, stability, and 25 might with spear even without a hard CC on F1.

5 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Dan, in no way is a Hard CC on Burst a firm requirement in OWPvE to maintain Perma quickness, fury, stab, and 25 might:

Example

I know you are fond of your build with that particular relic, which is fine, but you'll be able to pull perma quickness, fury, stability, and 25 might with spear even without a hard CC on F1.

What is that monstrosity of a build?

We are warriors i know but that build is a war crime.

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

4 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

What is that monstrosity of a build?

We are warriors i know but that build is a war crime.

Me slapping kitten together during the afternoon brain fog. Doesn't matter, though. Still works in OW.

Here is a better example. Still going to maintain all those boons without needing a Hard CC on F1.