Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Thank GOD the spear is ranged. Best-case-scenario.


Kitty.4806

Recommended Posts

I'm going to reserve most of my commentary until after the full skill set and numbers are revealed but here are some initial thoughts:

  • Add a small daze on F1, solely for Spellbreaker trait synergies.
  • There is no special mechanic on it. All of the SotO and it seems JW weapons had special mechanics to them, except for warrior's.
    • It doesn't even need to be something convoluted. Something like certain spear attacks gaining stacks of some buff, and at 5 stacks empower all attacks for some duration, or have Spear 5 recharge another of the spear skills.
  • The two evades on the weapon have the potential to be very strong on it. It depends if the Evade on F1 covers the landing animation or not.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best case scenario didn't even get scratched, as what we have here is "not a total disappointment" scenario, and even that remains to be seen.
Lan already pointed out some key issues (no interesting mechanic, it's a plain 2012 weapon), let me add another one.

Maybe it's my eyes going old or the trailer's weird angle, but I could've sworn that thing looked like it's 900 ranged.
Notice how the distance between warrior and centaur does not seem all that great from the start.
Then after using the backward evasion skills camera pans back to behind the warrior view for spear throwing..
.. and it looks to be exactly the same distance as prior to doing the whole backward leap thing!

Only reasonable explanation I see is that spear's max range was exceeded and the warrior character
moved back to original spot off screen to continue the auto attacks..

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I'm going to reserve most of my commentary until after the full skill set and numbers are revealed but here are some initial thoughts:

  • Add a small daze on F1, solely for Spellbreaker trait synergies.
  • There is no special mechanic on it. All of the SotO and it seems JW weapons had special mechanics to them, except for warrior's.
    • It doesn't even need to be something convoluted. Something like certain spear attacks gaining stacks of some buff, and at 5 stacks empower all attacks for some duration, or have Spear 5 recharge another of the spear skills.
  • The two evades on the weapon have the potential to be very strong on it. It depends if the Evade on F1 covers the landing animation or not.

I don’t personally believe the daze on burst is necessary. Maybe the primary hit on the AoE skill would be a better place. I would prefer the burst be an evade and high damage. A daze would start glutting one skill which I don’t like because the damage will likely be scaled down to accommodate (fairly). But I think keeping the burst skill as damage (hopefully scaling pretty high the closer someone is) with an evade would be better for the kit overall. This is obviously dependent on damage, but I’m thinking of play cases and functionality. 
 

Especially on the aoe, running immob on CC gives a small root on the aoe to give a higher probability of hit since crippled obviously doesn’t do much in competitive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I don’t personally believe the daze on burst is necessary. Maybe the primary hit on the AoE skill would be a better place. I would prefer the burst be an evade and high damage. A daze would start glutting one skill which I don’t like because the damage will likely be scaled down to accommodate (fairly). But I think keeping the burst skill as damage (hopefully scaling pretty high the closer someone is) with an evade would be better for the kit overall. This is obviously dependent on damage, but I’m thinking of play cases and functionality. 
 

It is more for Spellbreaker trait interactions. A tie-in to the sunspears of old to the new sunspears. To be fair, we don't know two of the skills, one may be a daze with ammo for all we know. There could also be a mechanic that they chose not to show, purely for trolling us, that causes dazes or stuns under certain conditions. Do I think that is the case though? No.

1 hour ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Especially on the aoe, running immob on CC gives a small root on the aoe to give a higher probability of hit since crippled obviously doesn’t do much in competitive.

Leg Specialist is going to be nice with it. But a daze on F1 would be better to pair with No Escape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It is more for Spellbreaker trait interactions. A tie-in to the sunspears of old to the new sunspears. To be fair, we don't know two of the skills, one may be a daze with ammo for all we know. There could also be a mechanic that they chose not to show, purely for trolling us, that causes dazes or stuns under certain conditions. Do I think that is the case though? No.

Leg Specialist is going to be nice with it. But a daze on F1 would be better to pair with No Escape.

Indeed, leg specialist is going to be nice. We will agree to disagree about the burst, which is okay 🙂 I couldn’t say what’s a better choice until I play it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Indeed, leg specialist is going to be nice. We will agree to disagree about the burst, which is okay 🙂 I couldn’t say what’s a better choice until I play it

There is a knockback on the evade, so there is still some synergy, but a daze somewhere would seal the deal for its use on Spellbreaker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Best case scenario didn't even get scratched, as what we have here is "not a total disappointment" scenario, and even that remains to be seen.
Lan already pointed out some key issues (no interesting mechanic, it's a plain 2012 weapon), let me add another one.

Maybe it's my eyes going old or the trailer's weird angle, but I could've sworn that thing looked like it's 900 ranged.
Notice how the distance between warrior and centaur does not seem all that great from the start.

Because you missed the part.

Warriors SPear is ranged, but Does Larger AoE Damage the closer you are to the target, also their other abilities share that mechanic as they get larger at Closer range, so you'll never Really want to be at Max range. even if its a 1500 range weapon, by default its going to be optimal to go melee really 

For the mechanic to have any depth, being further away from the target needed to have a benefits. to make the choice a Real thing, right now its just gonna be using it as a melee effect to ensure Maximum value. 

Edited by Magmi.6723
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

There is a knockback on the evade, so there is still some synergy, but a daze somewhere would seal the deal for its use on Spellbreaker.

An evade backwards with a knockback... on a weapon that does more damage the closer you are? what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I'm not too fussed about lacking a special mechanic. The special mechanics from SotO are hit-or-miss at best, and some of the weapons with special mechanics that are functional are functional despite the gimmicks rather than because of them. I'd prefer no special mechanic over a poorly thought-out mechanic that holds the weapon back (even if they've pumped up the numbers to make sure people use it despite the awkward mechanic).

3 hours ago, Kitty.4806 said:

An evade backwards with a knockback... on a weapon that does more damage the closer you are? what?

think the way it works is that you still do the same damage to your primary target regardless of range, but being closer in increases your AoE potential. So against a single target you might be fine throwing spears at max range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Or, use the knockback into the cripple skill with Leg specialist traited while advancing into F1 for the nuke.

yes, until you're ~900 units away from your target now 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I'm not sure more particle spam is needed, the animations for Warrior spear are...just OK. Compared to the Thief, Necro and especially Engi animations, the Warrior's spear looks a bit bland, there's nothing really spicy there. The skills seem like they'll be functionally alright with some tweaking, but where's the spectacle? Yes, make it good, but is it too much to ask that it be fun too?

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

While I'm not sure more particle spam is needed, the animations for Warrior spear are...just OK. Compared to the Thief, Necro and especially Engi animations, the Warrior's spear looks a bit bland, there's nothing really spicy there. The skills seem like they'll be functionally alright with some tweaking, but where's the spectacle?

To me, having less particle vomit than the other professions is one of the good parts about Warrior.

6 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Yes, make it good, but is it too much to ask that it be fun too?

Some people have more fun when their eyes are not constantly blasted with particle vomit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not saying there should be more of that, and obviously "Animation" means more than just particle effects. The warrior movements are subdued in comparison, especially compared to Engi who clearly got the best animations so far. For warriors, where is the style?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...