10 Years too late adding housing

8 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

All of my friends who played GW2 with me since launch have already long quit the game. Housing is something we all wanted at that time. Now what's even the point? I have no friends I can invite over.

so because You have no friends, we should just scrap the idea?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

then what are you saying? because thats what it sounds like. "whats the point, if i have no one to play with"

It's nice that we're finally getting housing. I'm just saying, for me personally, I've been waiting so long for it that I now realized it's not even as relevant as it used to be.

ArenaNet have been way too slow to bring about requested features. Better late than never. But it's still late and a lot of people who wanted housing have already left the game years ago. It's doubtful this will bring them back.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

All of my friends who played GW2 with me since launch have already long quit the game. Housing is something we all wanted at that time. Now what's even the point? I have no friends I can invite over.

Well, if ANet had approached every recent addition with that mindset, we would not have gotten any of the QoL updates of the past couple of years.

From your negative perspective, pretty much every new addition is 12 years late, to be honest. 😄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

From your negative perspective, pretty much every new addition is 12 years late, to be honest. 😄

That is correct, actually. GW2 should have arrived at this point like 7 years ago, max.

How long has ESO had housing for?

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 18
  • Sad 4

Considering what they could do with housing - there's potentially endless progression here - it's surprising they held back personal guild halls for so long, even more so when you consider it could have had its own gem store worth of additions (whereas guild halls couldn't) or VIP locations. ArenaNet seems to always want to do things in a unique way (at least before the new leadership came in), and everyone else had already done housing, which is probably why they only did guild halls, yet didn't do a guild hall vs guild hall PvP mode to really show it off.

• Like 1

If someone said they quit because the game didn't have housing but adding housing won't bring them back it sounds like that wasn't actually the problem, or it was one of many problems and it's unlikely adding it in earlier would have made a difference. No game is going to work for everyone, and IMO that's not a bad thing because it means we as players can have a variety of games to choose from.

But I also agree that your post sounds like it's putting Anet in an impossible position: they shouldn't add new features because the game should already have them. Short of inventing a time machine to go back and do things differently, and finding a way to address whatever prevented them doing it before (because there's no chance it's just that they didn't think of it until now) the only options are to add things in future or...never add anything new to the game?

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

It will only be irrelevant if it's just a reimplementation of existing features (home instance and guild halls) and doesn't add any new features (actually building houses rather than just moving furniture around; mini games to play in the instance with friends for rewards; displays for characters, armors, titles, or whatever; etc...)

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

That is correct, actually. GW2 should have arrived at this point like 7 years ago, max.

How long has ESO had housing for?

And yet you have not posted until now that you wanted housing, how was Anet to know!. Anet prioritised other stuff that people wanted more.  Housing is finally at the top of the feature list and GW2 is not going anywhere, so rather than complaining that the content you wanted has arrived too late, why not just enjoy the new content? Incidentally those players that left could ofc return and pick up exactly where they left off.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Better late than never. What's your point?

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

ArenaNet have been way too slow to bring about requested features. Better late than never. But it's still late and a lot of people who wanted housing have already left the game years ago.

1.) Anet brought requested features all the time in the last 11 years. Saying they are way too slow is in fact wrong.

2.) That's what happens when you leave a game. The game keeps evolving and you will miss the new stuff. That's absolutely normal.
And let's be realistic, if you friends won't come back for housing, they didn't leave because of missing housing in the first place.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The only way to avoid this situation and this feedback would be for a company to include every possible feature and every possible feedback at the game's launch. Thousands of maps, millions of classes, uncountable game modes, a nearly infinite number of QoL features, millions of gameplay features, and so on. Many of them being mutually exclusive. I don't imagine that this would cost the players much more than a few hundred million dollars, or low billions, each.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Portico.2354 said:

It will only be irrelevant if it's just a reimplementation of existing features (home instance and guild halls) and doesn't add any new features (actually building houses rather than just moving furniture around; mini games to play in the instance with friends for rewards; displays for characters, armors, titles, or whatever; etc...)

Yea there is no way this will not get boted to high heavens since its instanced and noone will be able to spot it if you can earn rewards in your personal home instance with up to 5 accounts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea there is no way this will not get boted to high heavens since it’s instanced and noone will be able to spot it if you can earn rewards in your personal home instance with up to 5 accounts.

It doesn’t have to be a reward system that’s competitive with other reward systems. Preferably it would be designed so it cannot be botted. Think sanctum sprint etc. It just needs to be an excuse to hang out in there without feeling completely counterproductive

I'm mostly just confused why housing is apparently a massive make-or-break feature for people. Sure, it's another way to express your individuality (albeit in a way that other people have to choose to see, unlike fashion wars) and a place to spend downtime, but that's it. What am I missing? What kind of player does housing cater to? What do people do in player housing in other games, apart from sit around RPing?

I'm not saying we shouldn't have it, I'm keen to see how it's implemented, but it seems like at best it's a minor QoL feature and a new gold sink rather than something the game has been sorely lacking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Functionality. QOL.  Homestead should provide crafting stations, portals, vendors, etc. behind a system you can invest in to unlock all the features.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have noticed that as I get older I don't make new friends.  I realize that is a problem.  Friends just feel more like a burden, an obligation.

I am not surprised that OP hasn't made new friends in game, however that is the problem.  Anet's timing isn't the cause of the frustration,  it is the lack of friends to share with.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

Functionality. QOL.  Homestead should provide crafting stations, portals, vendors, etc. behind a system you can invest in to unlock all the features.

So a personal instanced eye of the north hub then.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I have noticed that as I get older I don't make new friends.  I realize that is a problem.  Friends just feel more like a burden, an obligation.

I am not surprised that OP hasn't made new friends in game, however that is the problem.  Anet's timing isn't the cause of the frustration,  it is the lack of friends to share with.

It doesn't help that there's no player to player trading in the game. That is a MMO social interaction that is completely missing from GW2.

But they might add in it a future expansion pack. As well as open world dueling. Then we can say it's only 15 years too late 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Especially when they keep walking on my lawn.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2