50% to Patch a Wall/Gate feels bad

It's bad enough being Outnumbered/Roamers when no guilds are on, but having even less counter-play to blobs feels even worse. I will say that adding the Lord health to the objective banner was a very nice touch, but needing 50% to patch structures diminishes individual effort and rewards blobs, which are already quite strong enough.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

• 2 weeks later...

Came searching here whether this has been brought up.
My server was getting tag teamed which of course meant lower numbers for us (no complaints there. It happens). I tend to stick back and try to get open portions closed because, ya know, it's smart to keep even more of your enemies from pouring back in. Especially if you're already outnumbered! The sadness that I felt when I kept repairing the wall and it just never closed while enemies continued to stroll past me on their mounts.

Is this a joke from Anet? They're constantly discouraging people from defending structures at all, which at this point, might as well remove them and turn it all into an open field capture point. I swear, even when I turn off more than half of my brain cells, I still cannot understand the thought process behind some of their decisions.

I guess they really want to drive home the point that you should only "defend" if you have enough numbers to tank their servers, or else it's best to give up.  Blobs have been an issue for awhile. People have complained plenty over the years over how stale zerg-centric fighting is (not saying it can't be fun, but if it's the only thing we've got going, then it truly does get boring). Yet we keep getting changes that reward that playstyle alone, and I just keep wishing that whoever's coming up with these ideas would move to a project that they actually like since they seem to hate WvW.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

I think the part that I find a bit funny is the vast numbers sweeps. In skills balance, we made a 1% change. While in something like WvW we made a 100% change to a requirement. Boggles the mind a bit. Players have already adapted, but it has removed some tactics from the game play. The changes to the wall tells via the art would have been good to note as well. That's not game breaking but gives a mis-tell on the status. Which if it was done initially should have been included in the patch notes, or is it a bug due to the percentages, not sure.

• Like 2

So no more popping cd's and repairing something to end the tide when outnumbered forcing them to do some more quick sieges to get back in? 

One of the best ways was getting the wall back up when defending to clear out the enemy. Making this harder sounds like they just want defending to be pointless and not done by anyone. 

Do they even play their own game? 

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

All it really does is make defending more punishing as you can no longer quick patch the wall. Unless of course your group is big enough to instant repair the wall which is unfortunately their perspective.  (But of course, attacking something has to be more forgiving)

There are many ways to approach this but they chose the worst one because I suppose that stands out.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

All it really does is make defending more punishing as you can no longer quick patch the wall. Unless of course your group is big enough to instant repair the wall which is unfortunately their perspective.  (But of course, attacking something has to be more forgiving)

There are many ways to approach this but they chose the worst one because I suppose that stands out.

They seem to have wanted us to attack more, so we return the favor and make more swiss cheese. Interested in a grilled swiss cheese sammich? lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

They seem to have wanted us to attack more, so we return the favor and make more swiss cheese. Interested in a grilled swiss cheese sammich? lol

Yesterday someone flamed us in salt whispers for having the audacity to defend stuff. Mind you it wasn't even like paper south towers but tiered N towers and Garri.

I have the feeling they have Anet's ear lol.

But really, I guess we have to open the doors to the enemy or otherwise it's being rude.

Although I am surprised our server has so many people that still defend.... dying breed.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Yesterday someone flamed us in salt whispers for having the audacity to defend stuff. Mind you it wasn't even like paper south towers but tiered N towers and Garri.

But really, I guess we have to open the doors to the enemy or otherwise it's being rude.

Although I am surprised our server has so many people that still defend.... dying breed.

War Flashbacks from old EOTM... I think that's the only time I've ever gotten salty whispers in WVW.... trying to fight against opponents in EOTM when they where karma-training.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

War Flashbacks from old EOTM... I think that's the only time I've ever gotten salty whispers in WVW.... trying to fight against opponents in EOTM when they where karma-training.

Well, you know Anet wasn't lying when they said many WvWers are actually into pve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2024 at 6:40 AM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I admit for the fun of it over the weekend, upgraded two camps on EBG and setup Charr cars. Other side was heavy zerging so two roamers knocked down 5 of their EBG walls and then punched holes thru their outer and inner garri walls while they just ran around in a mass. They ended up losing both. Anet seemed to have not wanted people to repair, so we can work with that.  

On 6/29/2024 at 8:11 PM, splat.8169 said:

Tiered towers? Lies!

NE was paper. They were suffering from supply deficiency syndrome though. And maybe some shield bubble alergies.

lol, man I have been working with peeps to get used to getting back to supply drain runs. Glad some people are up for asking questions on the why of things though. Other reasons I wanted to float some to see what some of this looks like since I got so used to pugs on our server that just knew what to do. Am finding some flashmobs though so that is good. Been crossing some time zones as well and that's been fun, but skipping sleep to see what that looks like and no coffee can make this old dude grumpy the next day. Also mean less forum wars 2 since need to craft more siege.

On 6/29/2024 at 12:39 AM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

that's what have been said before. more people need to defend now and not only 1 person can fix the wall. now that poor 1 guy gets the help from the rest of the group to fix the wall. you are calling this punishing too?

the punishing part is only when it's too late to defend the walls.

so it was a good change. now also supplies, supply dolyaks, siege weapons,... are more important. the game became more realistic and fun.

before that only 1 person could fix the wall and the group was already gone doing something else. letting one guy repair the whole castle/keep even sounds ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 7/4/2024 at 4:09 AM, Chaos God.1639 said:

that's what have been said before. more people need to defend now and not only 1 person can fix the wall. now that poor 1 guy gets the help from the rest of the group to fix the wall. you are calling this punishing too?

The same tags that would run by a broken wall still do. More walls remain open now. A solo repair player is still solo. It just takes them longer to seal a group in. I still use the tactic while roaming, havocing or tagging. But its a lot harder now to slow an attack.  But players will adapt. 

the punishing part is only when it's too late to defend the walls.

The punishing part is already here as more and more are T0 keeps so everyone spends a longer time running back to a fight across maps. Lucky we have mounts I guess. 

so it was a good change.

25 to 50...I wouldn't use good. But can appreciate it that someone like it I guess.

now also supplies, supply dolyaks, siege weapons,... are more important.

Why were they not important before?

before that only 1 person could fix the wall and the group was already gone doing something else. letting one guy repair the whole castle/keep even sounds ridiculous

This is still happening quite often with or without the change. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2024 at 11:07 PM, meerfunkuhtron.9725 said:

I swear, even when I turn off more than half of my brain cells, I still cannot understand the thought process behind some of their decisions.

Every decision is so that their boon ball friends have more fun by making it harder to escape them.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

Every decision is so that their boon ball friends have more fun by making it harder to escape them.

Normally it's kitten-up rather than conspiracy. I can't see a kitten-up reason here, as have been telling them for months/years that what they are doing is increasing the advantage of the boonball. And every change benefits the boonball / blob more.

• Like 5