Sword 2 skill abuse in wvw since like forever

blitzbirne.2890

Can we talk about a "feature" that exists forever (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infiltrator's_Strikehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infiltrator's_Return ) thieves being able to port into specific towers....Redbriar on alpines for example.

Just got the info statt 5 works aswell https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vault .

Other skills once they are buged or abused get disabled (like other skills in the past) ? Why not sword 2 on thieves? It gets reported over and over (not just in forums) but still nothing happened to this day. Sorry to bring it up again -.-

Edited by blitzbirne.2890
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blitzbirne.2890 said:

Can we talk about a "feature" that exists forever (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infiltrator's_Strikehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infiltrator's_Return ) thieves being able to port into specific towers....Redbriar on alpines for example.

Just got the info statt 5 works aswell https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vault .

Other skills once they are buged or abused get disabled (like other skills in the past) ? Why not sword 2 on thieves? It gets reported over and over (not just in forums) but still nothing happened to this day. Sorry to bring it up again -.-

sword eles also do it

• Like 1

The virtuoso distortion exploit gets posted on Reddit and within the same day they disable it.
Port/leap/etc. exploits in WvW have been posted on Reddit/Youtube and also sent to ANet via official reporting tools (step by step instructions and videos) for literally years.
I guess we need to find a way to bug out Cerus CM with thief sword 2.

Competitive integrity in WvW and PvP just isn't a priority for ANet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2024 at 6:57 AM, Eugenides.1274 said:

The virtuoso distortion exploit gets posted on Reddit and within the same day they disable it.

i think its because there is a big difference between exploiting into a keep without taking down the gate and becoming immortal.

maybe if you can get a whole guild to play thief and all abuse the bug it will be fixed, but i don't think Anet are really worried about a few thieves entering keeps.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Liewec.2896 said:

but i don't think Anet are really worried about a few thieves entering keeps.

You see how that is problematic, right?
Also this isn't just a "few thieves". It's literally been an issue for years that you see posted/posts bumped here and on reddit every week or so.

But as you said ANet simply doesn't care so it is what it is.

Edited by Eugenides.1274

2 hours ago, Eugenides.1274 said:

You see how that is problematic, right?
Also this isn't just a "few thieves". It's literally been an issue for years that you see posted/posts bumped here and on reddit every week or so.

But as you said ANet simply doesn't care so it is what it is.

i agree its a problem, and they SHOULD try to fix it, but they only seem to fix the big gamebreaking stuff.

and as i said previously you'd need to convince a whole 40 man group to run thief and all bypass gates to dominate WvW

then you would get it on Anets radar as a serious issue and they'd be forced to do something.

but currently they don't see it as a big issue because it isn't causing enough chaos.

if you want change, cause chaos! 😉

• Confused 1

On 7/10/2024 at 4:51 PM, Liewec.2896 said:

i think its because there is a big difference between exploiting into a keep without taking down the gate and becoming immortal.

maybe if you can get a whole guild to play thief and all abuse the bug it will be fixed, but i don't think Anet are really worried about a few thieves entering keeps.

I'm against exploits as much as the next guy,  I even had to,  respectfully,  part ways with a new recruit for EcK, our thief exclusive wvw guild because he did and knew all the glitch/parkour spots...but if we won't get banned and brought the attention to arenanet to prove how important it is to fix I would gather who I have to do it. 

Idk what we could do to raise the awareness to them on it

On 7/19/2024 at 9:16 PM, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

Is it actually a thief specific thing or a "you can do this with any targeted port" thing? If it's the latter, then that might explain why it's not been fixed, if it's something they'd need to basically break every targeted port to fix.

But not every class is able to port in other people. All it needs is thief exploids inside, ports in 1-2 mesmers  to get in a 50 man zerg. Just change those skills so the port does not happen without a target. "unable to use". Its been an exploid since release. Or just patch out all keeps  and towers because with exploids like this there is no point for that to exist. But hey...its wvw...and we all know what anets point in fixing broken stuff in this game mode is.

And fixing targeted port exploid is not breaking it!

On 7/21/2024 at 1:04 PM, blitzbirne.2890 said:

But not every class is able to port in other people. All it needs is thief exploids inside, ports in 1-2 mesmers  to get in a 50 man zerg. Just change those skills so the port does not happen without a target. "unable to use". Its been an exploid since release. Or just patch out all keeps  and towers because with exploids like this there is no point for that to exist. But hey...its wvw...and we all know what anets point in fixing broken stuff in this game mode is.

And fixing targeted port exploid is not breaking it!

It would break more than you think actually. Unless you plan to redesign how sword thief works and buff the snot out of it, removing the ability to use sword 2 without a target would break the set in various PvP matchups and make stealth spamming dagger pistol thieves even more dominant. And yes, this is a major concern since the class is much more PvP focussed than most other classes. 

I don't know exactly how this exploit actually works, so I'll work it through logically. Thief sword 2 is a two part skill: the first part of the skill is a targeted port that also places a mark on the ground that the second part of the skill can port you back to. You can also use sword 2 without a target to place the return mark, run off then return to it as you please. This is important, as a lot of classes have skills that function like the first part, but not many have skills like the second part. 

Assuming that the first part of the skill is responsible for the exploit, that's a game wide issue with how ports are coded. This would presumably mean that thief is not the only class that glitch into a keep using a port skill like this, and ANet aren't likely to recode an entire skill set this late into the game's lifespan. Yes, not every class can portal into a keep after glitching in, but it would then be better for thief in general if you reworked shadow portal. Nobody asked for that kind of utility on thief in the first place. 

Assuming that the exploit is thief only, it would also be reasonable to assume it is the second part of the skill that makes the exploit possible, as the thief ports back to the mark on the ground and the game fluffs up which side of the wall they're supposed to be on. If that's the case, making the first part of sword 2 wouldn't remove the exploit (as I could just port towards something else in the distance like a random mob, or even towards the tower gate or a breakable wall), and making the second part of the skill require a target makes zero sense.

The last thing to consider is if the thief used an exploit at all. I frequently stealth in friendly towers as they are being taken by the enemy zerg, then wait for them to leave before either using shadow portal to port allies in or simply solo the objective. The former can be fixed by either checking an objective properly after capping it, or changing how shadow portal works. The second, well, if I manage to avoid detection for the five minutes before I can recap, then to solo the objective without being stopped by any defenders, in my opinion I deserve the cap.

Edit: just to be clear, in my last paragraph I'm not saying that the exploit doesn't exist or that some players don't use it. I'm more saying that there is more than one way for a thief to sneak into a tower, most of them are entirely legitimate, and unless you watched the thief doing it you wouldn't know whether he exploited, walked in through an open wall or if he never left the tower in the first place. 

Edited by Jugglemonkey.8741
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

It would break more than you think actually. Unless you plan to redesign how sword thief works and buff the snot out of it, removing the ability to use sword 2 without a target would break the set in various PvP matchups and make stealth spamming dagger pistol thieves even more dominant. And yes, this is a major concern since the class is much more PvP focussed than most other classes. 

I don't know exactly how this exploit actually works, so I'll work it through logically. Thief sword 2 is a two part skill: the first part of the skill is a targeted port that also places a mark on the ground that the second part of the skill can port you back to. You can also use sword 2 without a target to place the return mark, run off then return to it as you please. This is important, as a lot of classes have skills that function like the first part, but not many have skills like the second part. 

Assuming that the first part of the skill is responsible for the exploit, that's a game wide issue with how ports are coded. This would presumably mean that thief is not the only class that glitch into a keep using a port skill like this, and ANet aren't likely to recode an entire skill set this late into the game's lifespan. Yes, not every class can portal into a keep after glitching in, but it would then be better for thief in general if you reworked shadow portal. Nobody asked for that kind of utility on thief in the first place. 

Assuming that the exploit is thief only, it would also be reasonable to assume it is the second part of the skill that makes the exploit possible, as the thief ports back to the mark on the ground and the game fluffs up which side of the wall they're supposed to be on. If that's the case, making the first part of sword 2 wouldn't remove the exploit (as I could just port towards something else in the distance like a random mob, or even towards the tower gate or a breakable wall), and making the second part of the skill require a target makes zero sense.

The last thing to consider is if the thief used an exploit at all. I frequently stealth in friendly towers as they are being taken by the enemy zerg, then wait for them to leave before either using shadow portal to port allies in or simply solo the objective. The former can be fixed by either checking an objective properly after capping it, or changing how shadow portal works. The second, well, if I manage to avoid detection for the five minutes before I can recap, then to solo the objective without being stopped by any defenders, in my opinion I deserve the cap.

Edit: just to be clear, in my last paragraph I'm not saying that the exploit doesn't exist or that some players don't use it. I'm more saying that there is more than one way for a thief to sneak into a tower, most of them are entirely legitimate, and unless you watched the thief doing it you wouldn't know whether he exploited, walked in through an open wall or if he never left the tower in the first place. 

There are many cases where this exact exploit was filmed and sent to arenanet. Meaning jumping on the spot where the exploit works und getting inside with that mentioned skill. Ive got nothing against thieves legit sneaking in. But on every server there are players known of not doing it legit. As far as commanders refusing to take the port inside. I rly dont understand how someone can defend this kind of thing. Maybe just change those skills to something as useful but remove the porting part that is exploidable.

9 minutes ago, blitzbirne.2890 said:

There are many cases where this exact exploit was filmed and sent to arenanet. Meaning jumping on the spot where the exploit works und getting inside with that mentioned skill. Ive got nothing against thieves legit sneaking in. But on every server there are players known of not doing it legit. As far as commanders refusing to take the port inside. I rly dont understand how someone can defend this kind of thing. Maybe just change those skills to something as useful but remove the porting part that is exploidable.

Who is defending it? People aren't talking about it being right or wrong but if it's a very specific source and if a lot of people make a thief to use that skill because they've heard of others using it. Also, people are stating that regardless if it's only doable with that one skill or if that one skill is the most obvious, what does Anet deem gamebreaking or not. 

4 minutes ago, blitzbirne.2890 said:

How is this.....not game breaking?!

No one is fighting you on that. Why are you screeching like people are all about exploits or something. You're yelling at yourself at this point mostly.