Seeing other classes spear announcement

GamerToad.9248

It is now clear warrior was the class they cared about less.. very sad to see.

All classes got new animation's and warrior got yet another ranged weapons that rewards you for being melee with an backwards dash.

ITS JOEOVER GUYS.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Warrior spear looks good imo. What specifically makes you think it will be bad? Why is Warrior not cared about based on what you’ve seen?

It does have new animations so idk what you are talking about with that.

ranged but rewards for being melee. This entirely depends on implementation and could be perfectly fine, it’s impossible to tell so that isn’t something worth declaring a weapon unviable over. If you dislike range on Warrior, that’s fair, but that is subjective and doesn’t display a lack of care. 

A backwards evade works well on numerous classes. Again, this entirely depends on the implementation given there are more backwards rolls that work well than do not. I don’t see how this leads you to conclude it will be bad.

So help me out here. It only seems that you are personally disinterested in a ranged spear and you are proclaiming that the spear will be bad and Anet doesn’t care about Warrior because they didn’t give you what you wanted?

Personally, I think a ranged weapon is a great choice and a blank slate for a new ranged weapon will hopefully allow it to overcome the problems warrior’s outdated ranged weapons have. And based on the description of skills, it looks very promising. There is certainly more that is promising than is not. But at the end of the day, it depends on the implementation, if it doesn’t play well, then yes, it is over.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

@oscuro.9720

The backwards dodge is basically copypaste from rifle and i hate it on rifle already. The other skills look bland and not as if they offer much. Other classes look way more interesting. And if warrior skills on spear are mostly projectiles, then its a lost cause. I dont see any gamemode that rly want to use that. Maaaybe spvp. But even there, a generic ranged weapon wont see much play

Edited by RedShark.9548
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Warrior spear looks good imo. What specifically makes you think it will be bad? Why is Warrior not cared about based on what you’ve seen?

ranged but rewards for being melee. This entirely depends on implementation and could be perfectly fine, it’s impossible to tell so that isn’t something worth declaring a weapon unviable over. If you dislike range on Warrior, that’s fair, but that is subjective and doesn’t display a lack of care. 

A backwards evade works well on numerous classes. Again, this entirely depends on the implementation given there are more backwards rolls that work well than do not. I don’t see how this leads you to conclude it will be bad.

So help me out here. It only seems that you are personally disinterested in a ranged spear and you are proclaiming that the spear will be bad and Anet doesn’t care about Warrior because they didn’t give you what you wanted?

Personally, I think a ranged weapon is a great choice and a blank slate for a new ranged weapon will hopefully allow it to overcome the problems warrior’s outdated ranged weapons have. And based on the description of skills, it looks very promising. There is certainly more that is promising than is not. But at the end of the day, it depends on the implementation, if it doesn’t play well, then yes, it is over.

You're either blind, a shill for some other class/dev, or inhaled too much of the american education system...you prob think the OBSIDIAN legendary armour twinkle little tree was also a great reveal.

you said it urself " problems warrior’s outdated ranged weapons have" so you already know, why write this drivel? You think all of a sudden spear is gona be good? Can we get low T posts out of warrior forum? You'll fit right in with the the thief/willbender group over there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Spear does not create new builds. 

Unlike Staff, which created Qheal Zerker. 

Which means that Spear has to be slotted in already existing builds. 

On the golem, it has to out dps either GS, Axe, Dagger or Hammer, to see any play there. 

It also has no syngery with Spellbreaker. At all. The only cc skill (we know of) moves you away from the target which is anti synergy with Full Counter. 

In Openworld, I have currently 3 very strong builds. I can't see spear being used in any of them. 

And my OW builds use rifle and Longbow to great effect. 

The only hope I have is that the Primal Burst will carry the weapon. 

You would assume that they want to make spearbreaker a thing, but so far, that not happening. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

To me, whether spear will be fine or not, depends on how the damage is distributed.

If the majority of its damage will be delivered via the ranged attacks, spear may end up better than rifle.

However, they may also have the majority of the damage be tied to the melee gimmick, which would make the weapon a failure to me.

And given the general treatment of Warrior, I think the latter option is more likely.

2 hours ago, Laughingman.9537 said:

One of my concerns with spear is how viable it will be in WvW, with all the projectile hate in the game, probably we will have to take Signet of might to make it work.

Don't knock Signet of Might. People relying on projectile blocks get wrecked real quick when you use unblockable attacks.

17 hours ago, RedShark.9548 said:

@oscuro.9720

The backwards dodge is basically copypaste from rifle and i hate it on rifle already. The other skills look bland and not as if they offer much. Other classes look way more interesting. And if warrior skills on spear are mostly projectiles, then its a lost cause. I dont see any gamemode that rly want to use that. Maaaybe spvp. But even there, a generic ranged weapon wont see much play

“Basically copy paste from rifle”

The animation is different from what I could tell, thief heal, shiro backwards roll, quick reflexes are all phenomenal backwards roll skills. It has iframes. You’re associating something you hate with it and ignoring all the good implementations of the exact same thing. I would encourage you to view things with less bias but that is your prerogative.

”other skills look bland and not as if they offer much”

You’re comparing visuals I’m guessing? Nothing visually says anything about what they offer. We know there are two iframes, a mobility skill, aoe damage. Those are all the foundations of a strong kit *on paper*. If there had been no mention of defensive utility, of mobility, etc. I would be legitimately worried, but *on paper* it looks like it has a very real opportunity to be a good weapon.

”Other classes look more interesting”

As has always been the case visually, Warrior is just a strong dude with a big weapon. It’s never been a visual stunner like ele or Mesmer or necro or guard or etc. Still opinion, one I will disagree with since I like the understated visuals of Warrior.

”If Warrior spears are projectiles it’s a lost cause”

Because if reflect? That’s the first fair argument I’ve seen. They will almost certainly be projectiles. I don’t think being a projectile kills something, personally, but that’s a fair point.

10 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Spear does not create new builds. 

Unlike Staff, which created Qheal Zerker. 

Which means that Spear has to be slotted in already existing builds. 

On the golem, it has to out dps either GS, Axe, Dagger or Hammer, to see any play there. 

It also has no syngery with Spellbreaker. At all. The only cc skill (we know of) moves you away from the target which is anti synergy with Full Counter. 

In Openworld, I have currently 3 very strong builds. I can't see spear being used in any of them. 

And my OW builds use rifle and Longbow to great effect. 

The only hope I have is that the Primal Burst will carry the weapon. 

You would assume that they want to make spearbreaker a thing, but so far, that not happening. 

We don’t have any numbers or anything in the weapon, I believe it is premature to say it will not create new builds. At the very least it fills a different niche than other viable weapons instead of getting another offhand or something 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, Vepa.6073 said:

You're either blind, a shill for some other class/dev, or inhaled too much of the american education system...you prob think the OBSIDIAN legendary armour twinkle little tree was also a great reveal.

you said it urself " problems warrior’s outdated ranged weapons have" so you already know, why write this drivel? You think all of a sudden spear is gona be good? Can we get low T posts out of warrior forum? You'll fit right in with the the thief/willbender group over there. 

What even is this response lol

22 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Clearly, he never read your fine poetry.

If the numbers are good, then we'll see. I'm still worried about whether their melee gimmick will turn it into a de facto melee weapon...

The devs always balance numbers around the ceiling so it's a sure bet to say that it will.

9 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Please leave the knife twisting in my heart to Cal 2.5 hours from now.

Come on, you already know that what you'll see there will be far from how things will work out when the spears will be released. They can buff numbers and basically remove CDs in those "presentations". They will show things in such a way that everybody will have star shining in their eyes until they try it at release only to throw it on the floor in disgust.

It's not a knife that you'll get from Cal but a sweet and delicious poison that will show it's effect in a few months.

Edited by Dadnir.5038

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Clearly, he never read your fine poetry.

If the numbers are good, then we'll see. I'm still worried about whether their melee gimmick will turn it into a de facto melee weapon...

the bright spot is that, iirc, they said the AOE increases in melee, not necessarily the damage. If there is strong single target damage and the splash is the big thing that changes, I can see it being good. I think that’s a perfectly fair concern and one I do share. 

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Come on, you already know that what you'll see there will be far from how things will work out when the spears will be released. They can buff numbers and basically remove CDs in those "presentations". They will show things in such a way that everybody will have star shining in their eyes until they try it at release only to throw it on the floor in disgust.

It's not a knife that you'll get from Cal but a sweet and delicious poison that will show it's effect in a few months.

No, what we'll be seeing is pretty much what we get at the beta. It's only if there is something ineffectually bad that we flag that it will get changed, like Staff 3 during beta versus release, and the Grenth cursed sonar pings on all of the beta skills.

What we see soon is going to be at minimum 95% of what we end up with.

35 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

the bright spot is that, iirc, they said the AOE increases in melee, not necessarily the damage. If there is strong single target damage and the splash is the big thing that changes, I can see it being good. I think that’s a perfectly fair concern and one I do share. 

The F1's damage is supposed to be stronger at melee range.

18 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The F1's damage is supposed to be stronger at melee range.

Ahh, I missed that. I guess it depends on what is the smallest bracket of range and what is the peak damage then (plus aoe size). For example, if it peaks inside 450, that’s very different than peaking inside 300. 
Also how smooth it plays with the aftercast and iframe cover will be pretty critical and is quite easy to mess up. We shall see when we play it 🙂

5 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Ahh, I missed that. I guess it depends on what is the smallest bracket of range and what is the peak damage then (plus aoe size). For example, if it peaks inside 450, that’s very different than peaking inside 300. 
Also how smooth it plays with the aftercast and iframe cover will be pretty critical and is quite easy to mess up. We shall see when we play it 🙂

Yeah, the iFrames need to cover the landings, otherwise it would be a suicide skill in competitive, especially if it keeps you in the same location.

22 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Yeah, the iFrames need to cover the landings, otherwise it would be a suicide skill in competitive, especially if it keeps you in the same location.

It’s going to be kind of like Rev Sword 3 in a way. You will have to have cover coming out, but if it’s implemented well it will have multiple use cases, which I’m happy about.