Ele spear autoattacks

Nup.4591

Super excited for the spear!!! It looks like we finally get to play that longe range caster fantasy I've been looking forward to sinc ethe beginning!

But I have to say, I have one little criticism: compared to how awesome the other spells look, the auto attacks on ele spear are kind of.... lame?

I never really was a fan of the "I throw my weapon and it somehow is still in my hand" kind of abilities. I think it would fit better with the caster mage fantasy they're going for if the auto attacks were more spell-like as well. Shooting an elemental blast or a laser beam in the style of Guardian staff 1 or Mesmer Greatsword 1.

If they want to keep the functionality of a projectile, an elemental bolt would probably the easiest to change it into. Just take the animation of a simple spear slash attack and grab one of the elemental orb effects for the projectile. It can functionally stay the same that way.

It's not the end of the world, I'm just curious what others think of this! Very excited to try out our new  Staff 2.0!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Throwing your magical focus as your basic filler attack is thematically weird. How do you get it back? What if you want to cast other spells with it? It's a little bit goofy at face value.

But at the same time, it helps differentiate it from staff, and offers a new take on the ranged mage that I haven't seen before. The staff is a very human-centered style of spellcasting even on charr, despite the different animations. A charr elementalist chucking their stat stick at enemies makes a lot more sense, and fits into more traditional groups like the Olmakhan seamlessly.

Also, if you didn't throw the spear, people would definitely be like "it's a spear why don't I throw it??"

I appreciate staff 2.0 with any animation style, but as a charr main I'm leaning toward throw the spear, it just fits the race so well

I think staff is not *human* at all 😮

charr especially are very unique in the way they hold it sideways. And how they claw down the air when casting meteor storm is peak flavouring in my opinion. The weapon suits them well, both as race and as class.

for spear I think that's not the case. It might fit Charr well (although for me it reminds me more of spear throwers from Ancient Greece, wich would be more human), but it doesn't suit the class very well. Throwing spears is perfect for a warrior or a ranger, and it works amazingly well for them. But I would like the mage class to use mage abilties! 😀

The way spear uses the magic in a more aggressive style allready differentiates it enough from staff in my opinion. Let the casters feel like casters!!

(Not trying to be negative. The opposite really! Now it is still in beta and now is the time to get our thoughts out, when Arenanet is still listening and willing to make changes, like with the previous betas!)

• Like 1

I just hope that spear will be more fun to use then staff that is an absolute boring weapon with an extremely old concept. I too don't appreciate the "throwing you weapon" concept tho, and I hoped for a 2 or 3 chain skill for skill1, since ANet doesn't want to modify staff, I hoped for the spear to have skill1 animations more good looking, maybe something similar to the basic attack chain of mages in Dragon Age Inquisition (just an example)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nup.4591 said:

I never really was a fan of the "I throw my weapon and it somehow is still in my hand" kind of abilities.

Thanks. I saw that I was literally "okay, any urge I had to try the spear just disappeared".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

for the animation: i view it as a spell illusion. that the spear stays in the hand, but appears to fly through the air. in one respect i think it's a missed opportunity for new almost dance-style throwing animations for all classes, but would prolly require all ranged autoattacks for the spear to be chain-skills in order for the "dance" to look right.

for the autoattacks damage...i also think it's too low (for PvE at least) and needs to be higher in order to compete with the other weapons in open world. the "inner circle" mechanic balances the weapon for competitive modes easily, But the autoattacks do less damage than staff autoattacks.

I would think that a new "meteor" in fire attunement should be two meteors strike the location.(or a single meteor strikes and then shatters for more damage) and be called "meteor strike" to differentiate it more from "meteor shower" and "comet"

otherwise: i'm actually excited, but still holding my breath, for this new weapon. my main concern is: will it feel as fluid and easy to use as dagger virtuoso (as a ranged kiting DPSer), or will the etching and inner circle mechanics make it too clunky? i imagine that the etching mechanic could easily be altered by allowing more time to charge the flip skill, if needed, and the inner circle mechanic could simply increase the size of the outer circle if needed.

on another note, maybe a trait for improved damage against vulnerable foes should be added to air traitline, and i still say that the minor master traits (like sunspot) be changed into ranged spells instead of melee, since elementalist is listed as a ranged class in the character creation menu.

Auto attacks only exist because they have to put something in there. My god, they could have at least given some of these AoE or pierce. They are exactly the same: boring animation, low damage and single-target. Anyway, I agree that they should have just committed to making spear the DPS version of staff and make the auto attacks like spells. The rest of the skills seem interesting; I just hope it doesn't end up being pistol 2.0 but for power. 

• Like 2

Same, and I would like a more upright caster stance for spear on Ele too. The hunched pose is being reused a bit too much.

Magic explains everything though, there's a magic spear ("Returning Pike") in Baldurs Gate 3 that returns to you after you throw it. Most classes have some sort of teleport magic. Then games like Elder Scrolls have bound magic weapons you can summon.

I'm also very against ranged AA's that only hit one target and hated my Thief Rifle for many years for it till they finally made it's main spammable pierce, otherwise the rest of Ele spear looks pretty cool. ~but I still think water should do a ton of damage and not still focus on healing too much or at all.

Edited by Doggie.3184

Looking closely, for at least some of the autoattacks there doesn't actually appear to be a physical spear in the projectile, just a spear-shaped bolt of the relevant elemental energy. Could therefore resolve it as the elementalist going through the motion of throwing a spear but they don't actually release the physical spear as an elemental facsimile of the spear splits off and flies towards the enemy.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mascarun.7910 said:

My god, they could have at least given some of these AoE or pierce.

I totally agree, even just making them all pierce 5 targets would be an easy change to make them feel better. Maybe make the water auto heal a reduced amount for each target beyond the first, but the rest can stay as they are. It ties into the theming of the skills as much as the mechanics, what kind of magical spear doesn't pierce? It's both magical and a spear

The harder part would be to start giving them unique and more powerful effects if they're going to stay single target, but I think that's unrealistic to expect until a major balance overhaul-style patch at least 6+ months after JW releases. Piercing is something they could slap on by August 20th, I hope to see it suggested a lot after the beta

• Like 1
  • Confused 1