Best way to help downed players

I'm not perfect at this game, I freely admit it. And I'm not (yet!) running with legendary weapons or ascended armor, either. When I get into a fight with a champion and there's only one other random player helping, sometimes I go down. Occasionally its the other player that goes down instead. 

What's I'd like to start a discussion on is what is the proper thing to do when fighting 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 and one of the players is downed but not defeated?

It seems to me, that the right move is to kite the boss away from the downed player and give him time to heal himself. But what nearly always happens when I'm the one that goes down is the other player rushes over to me and starts healing. Usually the boss then dumps an AOE attack on both of us and kills me. Some players heal very quickly, and if I'm also healing myself I can get back up in 3 seconds, but otherwise the tactic usually results in both of us defeated. 

When it's the other player that goes down, I usually try to kite the boss (rather than trying to go for dps or heal the other player) to make sure the other player can get back up and I don't go down before he does. Is that correct? If so, why do so many other players (the vast majority, probably more than 3/4) rush to heal a downed but not defeated player when fighting 2:1? With 3:1 I can see maybe having the third player try to hold aggro while the second gets the first back on their feet, but often just the presence of two players on top of each other is enough for the boss to pull some kind of a pounce move.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tell them to rez at waypoint so you can focus on the battle XP

I am mostly serious here, if it is legit just you and another player and they dont get back up on their own it's pretty hard to rez them and not die yourself. If theres three or more then one person can kite and another rez.

I actually missed that you said downed not defeated thought you meant both. Tbh theres nothing you can do about other people trying to heal in a fight and getting deleted themselves except say in say chat not to I guess.

As for why, when I do it its instinctive downed player better help them! Have to actively remind myself it's a bad idea. I also can underestimate the time it takes to rez and think "nah I can get this person up in time". Cant speak for others

• Like 2

One important thing to consider is it's not always possible to kite a boss away from a downed player. GW2 does not use the 'holy trinity' system with dedicated tanks and healers and as a result there are no consistent tanking mechanics. Some bosses will prioritise specific players, but how they do it varies - some will target the one with the highest toughness, others will target the closest player (or, more rarely, the one furthest away), some will target the one who did damage first, or most recently, and some seem to switch targets at random. None of them ignore downed players, or are guarenteed to prioritse ones who are not downed. As a result trying to kite the boss away is as likely to mean it switches to attacking the downed player instead of you.

The best thing to do varies, depending on a lot of factors, which importantly means players will not always get it right in the moment, even if they look like they should be more experienced than you. Often reviving a downed player is the best choice, other times killing the boss quickly is best, or trying to draw some of it's attacks away, it really depends on which boss, your build, the other players build to some extent (how likely they are to be able to revive themselves, or at least not die fully), what else is happening around you, time left on the event etc. so it's a tough call to make in the moment.

P.S. this is not a game where your equipment will carry you. Getting ascended or legendary (which has the same stats as ascended) does not mean you'll never go down to a champion, there's a lot of things in the game which can still kill you in 1 or 2 hits if you're not careful. Quick reflexes and paying attention to what's happening will always count for more than the numbers on your equipment.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Don't overthink it. Rez downed players only if it wont put you in danger to do so or if the need for their contribution outweighs the risk.

If someone is rezzing you and you feel they shouldn't, tell them not to - it usually works if you use 'say chat' to type "don't rez"

That's it. Obviously if you have rez skills like Warrior Elite Banner, then decisions are easier, but it's not something to overthink about with kiting, tanking etc. 

• Like 9

On 6/23/2024 at 1:53 PM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

What gets me is when there are trash mobs around and the downed players just sit there waiting for revive.  Then I kill the trash and they don't rally.

the player that don't rally when you kill adds, probably had trouble targeting the adds. Anyway that's the most likely issue if the player that doesn't rally is me lol. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2024 at 3:35 PM, Eastwind.7209 said:

It seems to me, that the right move is to kite the boss away from the downed player and give him time to heal himself.

When I'm running a map complete or trying to whip through a daily or whatever reason I have to be in a lowbie zone I auto-attack, maybe.... just maybe, I'll throw out one aoe or drop a condi based ground skill, depending on the class, to tag stuff but even having my toon pushed down in levels I am hyper aware that I'm still way more powerful than the actual low level  toons running around me - I cant stand seeing some lightbulb kitten with a minimum of 300 masteries points backing them, so I know they kitten well know their 4/5/10 skill is going to one shot anything on that map, clip by and wipe everything in 5 seconds or 2 shot skyscale fireball stuff while the lowbies are trying to tag enough for more than bronze credit.
What does that have to do with your post? Well, while I admit it still makes me grit my teeth it doesn't matter what I think is the right thing to do, we all paid to play the game and much like RL, there's going to be jerks and morons... and ugly people wearing bikinis and you and me? We just have to accept it's their game too. 😐

Edited by Obnoxa.6702
Because how the heck did that word make it past the kitten filter!?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

After spending a certain time playing the game. You will develop a strong sense for when you will know:

• You can easily revive a downed player.

• You can brute force it with little bit of luck.

• You just can't revive, it won't work.

• ... and lastly when you don't/won't revive a downed player.

So take your time and enjoy the game.

• Like 3

In order of best ways to help:

1. Use a resurrect utility if you have one.
  2. If there are low health targets nearby that you know they tagged, kill them so the down player can rally.
  3. If you see the downed player using their down1 or 2 skills on a nearby weaker mob, go help kill that mob to rally the player.
  4. If you have utilities that allow you to tank damage (I.E. Endure Pain, Defiant Stane, etc.), then massage their feet.
  5. Kite the Champion or mobs away from the downed player so they can self bandage.
  • Like 3