AFKers in Convergances.

Hello all, I never post on the GW2 forums but I am getting sick of this. What is my issue well as the title makes clear it's AFKers in public Convergances who decide that rather than help progress the instance quicker they will just stand in the middle island and only take part once the boss is up.

This is unfair to the vast majority of players in the instance who are spending up to 30 minutes doing every part of the instance from the beginning to the end only to be rewarded the same loot as someone who AFKs till the final boss is up, in fact it can be worse because of RNG someone who AFKs for the whole instance could end up with an ascended skyscale weapon while someone who has done everything gets basic loot.

So I am pleading to the Devs if they read this to take action. One solution I feel could work is add a timer like in WvW and PvP where if someone AFKs for more than a few minutes they get kicked from the instance and receive a debuff till the next Convergances to prevent them from just rejoining the instance or another instance. 

I know there will be players who will agree with me and those who will disagree with me but I can't stand doing an instance for 30 minutes and essentially giving an AFKer any sort of loot by succeeding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

AFK has been a complaint in all game modes, so probably no surprise it shows up in convergences also.  Anet hasn't show a lot of desire to fix is.

A problem can be that the people are not 100% AFK - they might not be actively playing the game, but are still at the computer doing something else, so any check based on keyboard activity just means that every once in a while, they will type something on the keyboard (are get a program or device that does this for them), so that doesn't help - they would still be in the convergence, but not actually doing much to help out (may just be autoattacking).  It unfortunately is not an easy problem to solve.

Maybe some form of reward system (bronze/silver/gold) based on how much stuff you do would help out.  Maybe also remove the need to defend Zojja during the early part, so there is no reason for any people to hang out in the middle - everyone should be going off to the islands and killing the bosses, just so those who are legitimately defending Zojja don't lose out.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

My personal opinion.

Games are created by a creator, The creator creates the Rules for the Game. If Rules have "spaces" between them, players are bound  to find and exploit these "spaces".

Remove these "spaces", remove the problems. Its mostly a matter of "Will", not a matter of "Impossibility" But its present in many MMO's and this will never change.  

Like IRL; more then often such behavior is in fact rewarded/promoted cause of the potential gains to be had. This is merely a general observation of how such things go.

There are no flawed players, Only flawed game systems that enable players to do those things. It is an unsavory conclusion that is unwanted to behold/revealed so it's active practices are often obscured under the guise of "there are rules.... really/ we are looking into it / Hm...."

I don't know what else to tell you. its just how it is. Try to enjoy the game for what it is and pretend they aren't there.. but i agree; it is becoming a lot more difficult to not notice 9+ copies of the same warrior  stacked on 1 spot in a pve map. at least make an effort to make them look unique. XD

Edited by Noidea Incognito.9607
  • Confused 4

It's been a while since my last convergence, and for a lot of people i've been talking to as well due the amount of afk leechers that escalate the fight and won't help.

What should be a 15-20 minutes run of quality content, turns into 25+ grindy and boring content, and from what I've heard, some of these convergences aren't even succeding.

Anet need to fix current convergence mechanics if they don't want JW's convergence be dead on arrival, a by fix I do not mean nerf it.

On 6/26/2024 at 9:24 PM, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

Yeah...I haven't completed a convergence in 2+ weeks because there are just so many AFK'ers now in Public, it's not even funny. The chance of failure is too high now, and I don't have enough free playtime to waste on it. 😕

Any content that involves RNG based allies it's worthless 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

You can't really know they are afk. Sure they are not moving, but that is not enough to judge their afkness. They might be doing something else game related: chatting, inventory, tp, observing since it's their first time, etc etc.

Quite common for some to be  afk (ie watching Youtube) while playing, but that says more about the game being boring or got boring for playing the content too many times.

The real challenge is game design: to design meta or whatever that is not very boring and can accomodate the lazy players .  Auric Basic is great example: no one really cares if you afk or not, even trolls can only do so much to make it fail. Even if the meta fails, most players just let it go and move on.

Implementing anti afk mechanics is useless, since like I said they are not really afk and more like lazy, and lazy players will always find a way to abuse the system.

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, EzyQzy.8620 said:

You can't really know they are afk. Sure they are not moving, but that is not enough to judge their afkness. They might be doing something else game related: chatting, inventory, tp, observing since it's their first time, etc etc.

As far as context of this thread is concerned, all of the above is afking/leeching rewards for no participation during 95% of the event. Yes, if they park the character in the instance and then start chatting just to tag the boss when it's at 5% hp, it is afking through the event. "You don't know if they're afk, maybe they're just doing something completely different [while still upscaling the event, contributing nothing and then finally tagging the boss for the rewards]" is a rather ridiculous take on this topic.

5 hours ago, EzyQzy.8620 said:

The real challenge is game design: to design meta or whatever that is not very boring and can accomodate the lazy players .

Not really, improve participation rules so "the lazy players" either contribute throughout the fight or are left with nothing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If I had a suggestion it would be to spawn the Generals in normal mode right after middle bosses instead of 5 Champions per Island to significantly cut down run time for normal mode. Have the 5 Champions per Island remain in CM.

• Confused 1