Do I need to make a new account to play the original GW?

IIRC If you are playing Guild Wars 2 via Steam yes, if you are playing with an ANet account no? I haven't seen any Steam articles about transfers via Hall of Monuments coming to Steam so the latest source of information would be https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

"No, Guild Wars 1 accounts cannot be linked to a Guild Wars 2 account that was created via Steam. If your Guild Wars 2 account was created via Steam, you will not have the option to link a Guild Wars 1 account within the Account Management page of your ArenaNet account.

However, if you have a Guild Wars 1 account that was created via Steam, you will be able to link it to an existing [non-Steam] Guild Wars 2/ArenaNet account that was created via the Guild Wars 2 website. Steps on how to link to an ArenaNet account can be located here."

Edited by Hsanrb.1570

I think you still need to "create new account" in GW1 first.  Then use the same email address and password as your GW2 account.  It should link automatically then.

Edited by Chaba.5410

Not Steam. I bought it from the ANET store while logged into my GW2 account. I tried logging in with my GW2 credentials but that didn't work. I'll try the "create new account" path and see what happens. Hopefully it links up correctly.