Suggestion: Tricks and Traps update/revisit

Tricks and Traps are as important to WvW gameplay as Siege is and I feel like the system could use a little touch up regarding QoL and even implementation in some cases in order to make them more than just reactionary decorations you use once in awhile because someone is attacking NC on borderlands. 

Current Tricks:

Siege Disruptor 

Target Painter

Current Traps:

Supply Removal Trap

Target Painter Trap

Proposed new features:

- Add a UI element which uses the Special Action key to the player's UI in WvW. This will be their currently set Trap or Trick, set by using a dropdown menu next to the Icon/Button. You can only set your Trick or Trap while out of combat. 

- Players no longer use Supply to activate Tricks or Traps, but each Trick or Trap has their own cooldown. You will also no longer need to buy Trick or Traps. You will unlock new Trick and Traps from levelling a Mastery instead. 

- Trick and Traps have their cast times rebalanced so that some of them become combat-viable in application. 

New Trick: Disruption Pulse

Emits a pulse in a 600 radius that removes 1 Boon from up to 5 targets. 

New Trick: Veteran's Eye 

Grants the player the ability to see Stealthed enemies within a limited 600 radius around them. Stealth players are NOT unstealthed or revealed in any manner, simply confers the ability to see through Stealth for the player which activates this Trick. 

Updated Trick: Siege Disruptor

In addition to disabling Golems, also disables Buggies from Tactivators and prevents them from exiting their vehicle. Inflicts 1 stack of Burning for 1 second every second on the player trapped in the vehicle. 

New Trap: Anti Magic Trap

When triggered, creates a zone with 340 radius that removes 1 Boon per pulse from up to 5 targets for 3 pulses. 

New Trap: Booby Trap

This Trap can only be applied onto Walls or Gates. Triggers when the Gate or Wall it is applied to is destroyed, dealing minor damage and knocking players back, conditioning them with Bleed and Cripple. When a Wall is destroyed, it instead creates a line shaped AoE over the threshold which Burns and Cripples foes that attempt to cross it without dodge rolling. 

Edited by Yasai.3549
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 9:44 PM, Yasai.3549 said:

New Trick: Veteran's Eye 

Grants the player the ability to see Stealthed enemies within a limited 600 radius around them. Stealth players are NOT unstealthed or revealed in any manner, simply confers the ability to see through Stealth for the player which activates this Trick. 

Holy dolyak, I would pay money for access to this trick.

On 6/27/2024 at 9:44 PM, Yasai.3549 said:

New Trap: Booby Trap

This Trap can only be applied onto Walls or Gates. Triggers when the Gate or Wall it is applied to is destroyed, dealing minor damage and knocking players back, conditioning them with Bleed and Cripple. When a Wall is destroyed, it instead creates a line shaped AoE over the threshold which Burns and Cripples foes that attempt to cross it without dodge rolling. 

That's just fun - albeit in a slightly diabolical way, I like it!

Overall, I think this is some great input - I have long felt tricks and traps were a bit of a missed opportunity (especially for small scale fighting & havoc stuff) but have never really put much thought into how they could be better utilized.
I definitely think these suggestions, or some variable of them, could go a long way in breathing new life into smaller scale and roaming potential; which was such a fun branch, but now a mostly dead aspect, of wvw, but it think traps & tricks revamped more like this would really be a fun addition in every wvw fight-style.

I'm pretty cranky by nature (a brief scroll in my post history will support this claim) so I don't gush much for "suggestion" posts but uhmm... wow!
Five stars - would definitely play mmos with this guy.