15 min limit on editing posts

BobbyT.7192

@DBZVelena.5186 said:Since most of you didn't bother reading the post on how to use this forum. the 15 minute limit is only for recruit rank posters. Which, yes right now is everybody. But once you get your first rank up, you get a edit window of 4 hours.

Don't believe me? Go read some stickied topics posted by Gaile. You'll learn all kinds of nifty things.

That's a slight improvement which might address some of the concerns in this topic - like spotting typos after posting. But it doesn't help with the majority of the examples given.

I don't understand the benefit to restricting it. Is it really likely to be a problem if someone wants to edit a post a day, a week or a year after posting?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DBZVelena.5186 said:Since most of you didn't bother reading the post on how to use this forum. the 15 minute limit is only for recruit rank posters. Which, yes right now is everybody. But once you get your first rank up, you get a edit window of 4 hours.

Don't believe me? Go read some stickied topics posted by Gaile. You'll learn all kinds of nifty things.

Making a "rank system" to unlock feature is even worse in my opinion.So if someone want to be helpful, they have to busily level up in the forum to gain those "features"?I thought forum is suppose to be a place to spread, discuss, debate information and experience...

4 hrs window doesn't mean much too because it's still time limited..

Instruction manual? I blame that pesky Y chromosome. :3

I am not a dev, but i'm gonna guess and say that your editing window gets larger as you rank up on the forum. A similar system is at work on the ESO forums and if you compare systems, i'd bet 10g that it is the same system here only with a GW2 skin on it.I am sure that A-net will adjust the forums settings as needed if they notice a long term trend of the edit window being to small. But only when the forums have been in use for a while. Since a few hours is not enough time to evaluate if the settings are to strict or not.

• ArenaNet Staff

To answer a few questions and comments:

1. These forums do not support a edit limitation by sub-forum. I thought of that for forums like Community Creations, when someone pointed out they might want to edit their fanfic. However, that's simply not an option. On the other hand, we are able to set limitations by user group or rank.
  2. The above means that yes, higher ranks--those who have been active with meaningful posts and reactions--will have a longer edit period.\
  3. We cannot offer edit rights for the initial post but not others, as I saw mentioned above. It's edit all or edit nothing after the proscribed editing period.
  4. You can bet I'm aware of these concerns, and I'm investigating the best way to address them.

By way of background, the edit limitation is a default function for many forums because it reduces a form of trolling: Someone insults a forum member, gets the desired heated response, then edits their comments to appear innocent of wrong-doing, after which they report the person who responded for wrongdoing. Or someone engages in hate speech, then edits hours later, having wrought some pretty nasty consequences on the community.

You can see where those kinds of manipulation could have negative consequences. What are your thoughts on those? Have you experience that sort of issue - perhaps seen such an incident on another forum? The question is one of risk versus benefit, and I'm going to look into this over the next several days to figure out whether we want to make changes, and where those changes can most effectively be implemented.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Even a four hour limit will change the dynamic of the "I'd Really Like This" thread in Players Helping Players. That one may be dead now since requesters won't be able to easily notify readers that the request was filled. Deleting the post might work (if one is allowed to delete one's old posts, which sort of is an edit all by itself) but then the history of requests/fulfillments will be gone.

@Donari.5237 said:Even a four hour limit will change the dynamic of the "I'd Really Like This" thread in Players Helping Players. That one may be dead now since requesters won't be able to easily notify readers that the request was filled. Deleting the post might work (if one is allowed to delete one's old posts, which sort of is an edit all by itself) but then the history of requests/fulfillments will be gone.

Apparently, in order to delete your own post, you have to report it and use "Other" and explain why.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:To answer a few questions and comments:

1. These forums do not support a edit limitation by sub-forum. I thought of that for forums like Community Creations, when someone pointed out they might want to edit their fanfic. However, that's simply not an option. On the other hand, we are able to set limitations by user group or rank.
  2. The above means that yes, higher ranks--those who have been active with meaningful posts and reactions--will have a longer edit period.\
  3. We cannot offer edit rights for the initial post but not others, as I saw mentioned above. It's edit all or edit nothing after the proscribed editing period.
  4. You can bet I'm aware of these concerns, and I'm investigating the best way to address them.

By way of background, the edit limitation is a default function for many forums because it reduces a form of trolling: Someone insults a forum member, gets the desired heated response, then edits their comments to appear innocent of wrong-doing, after which they report the person who responded for wrongdoing. Or someone engages in hate speech, then edits hours later, having wrought some pretty nasty consequences on the community.

You can see where those kinds of manipulation could have negative consequences. The question is one of risk versus benefit, and I'm going to look into this over the next several days to figure out whether we want to make changes, and where those changes can most effectively be implemented.

Understandable, but I feel like you're focusing too much on the negative aspects of editing posts. The positives are: updated guides, the gifting threads, fan story threads, people who come back the next day and realize their post needs some clarification/rewording, grammar fixes, fixing links, etc. I feel there are way more benefits than negatives to having infinite editing time as opposed to limited.

You can see where those kinds of manipulation could have negative consequences. What are your thoughts on those? Have you experience that sort of issue - perhaps seen such an incident on another forum? The question is one of risk versus benefit, and I'm going to look into this over the next several days to figure out whether we want to make changes, and where those changes can most effectively be implemented.

This may be an issue, but most of the time troll's posts got quoted like this numerous times, so even if they did change the contents, people can see the difference through the quoted version of other users.

Actually I rarely (never?) see this issue happen in the old forum because usually troll stays troll and they don't bother to edit anything XD.On top of that, more than anything, they're usually the one that get reported numerous time in the first place, not the other way round.

@DBZVelena.5186 said:I am not a dev, but i'm gonna guess and say that your editing window gets larger as you rank up on the forum. A similar system is at work on the ESO forums and if you compare systems, i'd bet 10g that it is the same system here only with a GW2 skin on it.I am sure that A-net will adjust the forums settings as needed if they notice a long term trend of the edit window being to small. But only when the forums have been in use for a while. Since a few hours is not enough time to evaluate if the settings are to strict or not.

This forum seems pretty much identical to the ESO one, except for a few details (like the reactions available), I assume they use the same software.

So no updating my guide anymore.

People do this kind of stuff to help your community. Do we not have enough dead horses to beat?

A guide needs updates. Updates need time. You don't give us time. Why should we invest time in the community.

I won't start reposting all my stuff the moment a balance patch hits. This is unproductive and will just bloat up the forums.

Some desicions = bad decisions.

@Aomine.5012 has a strong point. Trolls often don't get away with editing, even without limitations because once it's quoted, it's there forever unless the quoter edits their own post for some reason. They also usually don't edit their own posts; they want the reaction from not just one, but a lot of posters.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, mods should be able to see old versions of a post. If this forum engine doesn't allow it, that would be disadvantageous. Given all these reasons, combined with what everyone else has said in favor of infinite edit time, there shouldn't be any concerns.

Also, @"Kaiyanwan.8521" has another good point. A strong community will need guides and other posts which can change with the game. A max of 4 hours--according to your "How do I" thread, Gaile, and that may kill a lot of the community.

Hey Gaile!I have seen where posts where edited after getting a response and it did cause a lot of trouble, up to and including getting innocent people banned from a forum. I have also seen some forums, (can't think of which ones unfortunately) that kept the unedited version as well. When you edited a post, the changes where tracked and a mod could always see the original post and any changes that where made to it, sort of like what Wikipedia does.

Also, the search works! :+1: Really love the new forums.

In my experience, the risk is extremely low. Trolls usually get their posts quoted, which they have no ability to change, so they don't get away with actions like those you describe.

On the other hand, infinite edit times allow for so many useful things with forum posts, from guides, to stories, and from recruitment posts to fleshing out concept ideas for discussion. The limited edit time is without a doubt a massive detriment to the community.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:By way of background, the edit limitation is a default function for many forums because it reduces a form of trolling: Someone insults a forum member, gets the desired heated response, then edits their comments to appear innocent of wrong-doing, after which they report the person who responded for wrongdoing. Or someone engages in hate speech, then edits hours later, having wrought some pretty nasty consequences on the community.

This is actually the exact reason why many people will quote the offensive post when they respond to such comments. It's actually quite a shame that on some forums the moderators will take action against a poster who quotes such offensive posts, even if their actual post is not offensive. I was once given a 24hour ban on another games forum because of quoting an offensive poster, sadly enough...

Still... there are a lot of positives to no having an edit limitation... many of which honestly do outweigh the negatives... if the community can quote offensive posters without fear of retribution from the moderating staff, then we can easily keep the trolls who use post editing to manipulate the community at bay, since there will be a record of their actions.

There's also still that nice little "Edited [time]" message at the top of edited posts that can always be used to see if a post was edited after someone gave a reactionary response...

I thought, though may be mistaken, that moderators could see whether posts had been edited on the old forums. I was pretty sure I read that posted by an official. If so, and if that function is included in these forums, there wouldn't really be a need to limit the editing window for that reason.

Well, on at least one other forum I frequent, moderators and staff can see all previous edits of a post if they wish. Additionally, if someone quotes a post, that quote remains unchanged even if the original post is edited, thus preserving its original form within the response to it. I honestly haven't found it to be a problem, as long as moderators look at the post as it was when the response in question was made.

On the other hand, I have seen (as mentioned earlier on this thread) many guides which will become obsolete and require rewriting every time a balance patch hits or new content is added, unless editing long after the original post is possible. The original poster would be forced to either make a new thread entirely (which doesn't help people who have the thread bookmarked and go there periodically for advice and analysis), or else put the updated version later on in the same thread and hope that the people visiting know to search for it. Unfortunately, without an edit function, there's no way to even communicate to them that the original guide is obsolete in the first place unless they're willing to search through the entire thread for updates every time they visit, which is rather frustrating and unlikely to happen for that reason.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:You can see where those kinds of manipulation could have negative consequences. What are your thoughts on those? Have you experience that sort of issue - perhaps seen such an incident on another forum? The question is one of risk versus benefit, and I'm going to look into this over the next several days to figure out whether we want to make changes, and where those changes can most effectively be implemented.Thanks for sharing your insights.

I've never found myself harmed by such trolls or their actions mostly because I personally don't engage them. I have seen others dragged through the mud on other forums when responding to trolls, but only after their own behavior was less than ideal. Also the effects are not long lasting on a community, once the situation and thread is moderated, it cleans up the mess. I would rather we hold everyone accountable for their actions in response to trolls rather than limit the forums in this way.

I don't like the edit limit either. There are good reasons to edit past 15 minutes or 4 hours and the reasons stated against it, such as trolls, don't overule these reasons

As for this part, I know I've seen a post where a mod stated they can see deleted or edited posts so unless y'all managed to lose this function it's not something that's relevant to this forum. Even if they can't see edits/deletions, the quote function and the report function would make this a non concern as these keep as a permanent record and report the original unchanged post.

Please return unlimited edits to us. It hasn't caused a problem in this forum before and has many benefits.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

1) People ought not to be rising to the bait proffered by trolls in the first place. Doing so is against Forum Rules. There's a report function and that should be the first response to such posts.2) I've responded on the old boards to abusive language with a post that merely pointed out the poster's rudeness. I have been infracted for those responses. If that' still the policy, any response to trolling seems to already get the respondent into dangerous territory. Why is a system needed to protect respondents if the previously existing systems don't?3) The vast majority of attempted edits will be made by players looking to make legitimate edits at a later time.4) Longer membership in the community is no guarantee that someone will not abuse the edit system by trolling.

Thanks for asking for opinions and good luck with the new boards.

How about add-only editing? I would settle for being able to update by adding postscripts, without being able to change the existing contents.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:To answer a few questions and comments:

There is a way around that. You can let them add things but not subtract. That way, for people who write fanfics or guilds who update their recruitment posts regularly they can strike out the original or parts of it and add an "EDIT:" with the relevant info.

Let me post my feedback here that we desperately need the ability to indefinitely edit our posts after they've been posted regardless of forum rank. Just one example where this is a major problem is in the already-difficult forum of guild recruitment. Your original post is going to need to be updated regularly with updated schedule information, updated roster information, updated officer lists, and more. Limiting the edit window makes guild recruitment extremely painful, and will only hurt the community.

I think the editing restrictions should be removed entirely. If this forum functions properly, then previous edits of the post should remain in a mod-accessible queue, so if someone says something mean and then edits it out then mods can still see what they originally said and react appropriately.

The old GW2 forum didn't have an edit restriction, did it? So unless that trolling issue you described was something that was rampant on the old forums (which I don't think was the case, but then again I don't really have access to metrics like that) then I don't see why this one should need such a limitation either. You're dealing with the same playerbase here outside of the people who were banned and have been granted amnesty I suppose, though I imagine most of those people have long since moved on from the game anyway. So if it wasn't an issue then, it shouldn't be an issue now just because we have a new forum.

I've seen that particular reasoning used on other forums as to why they impose an edit limit. I've never actually seen the action of the trolling going on, which to me means its either very uncommon (and not worth punishing everyone for the rare occasions it might happen) or that its not really that hard to take care of and gets quickly cleaned up even if it happens. In either case, it doesn't seem like a big enough issue from my perspective to limit editing when you know that restricting editing will most definitely cause issues.

The old GW2 forum didn't have an edit restriction, did it? So unless that trolling issue you described was something that was rampant on the old forums (which I don't think was the case, but then again I don't really have access to metrics like that) then I don't see why this one should need such a limitation either. You're dealing with the same playerbase here outside of the people who were banned and have been granted amnesty I suppose, though I imagine most of those people have long since moved on from the game anyway. So if it wasn't an issue then, it shouldn't be an issue now just because we have a new forum.

I've seen that particular reasoning used on other forums as to why they impose an edit limit. I've never actually seen the action of the trolling going on, which to me means its either very uncommon (and not worth punishing everyone for the rare occasions it might happen) or that its not really that hard to take care of and gets quickly cleaned up even if it happens. In either case, it doesn't seem like a big enough issue from my perspective to limit editing when you know that restricting editing will most definitely cause issues.

Archived