Jump to content
  • Sign Up

It Feels Like Spears Were Designed For PvP Only


Recommended Posts

Necro Spear is the only one that was clearly designed for PvP only… the rest have clear PvE design intent… except Elementalist… no clue what they were designing that for but it wasn’t PvE, nor was it PvP…

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd argue almost the opposite, of the spears I've tried most feel slow and clunky in PvP and small scale WvW. The spears feel designed around having perma quickness/alac which isn't really a thing in PvP.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

the rest have clear PvE design intent

Guardian have some interesting combos PvP wise, PvE side is a liability with long cooldown on 3, 4 and 5, with 5 being the worst, due a symbol with 20s cooldown is counter intuitive with current traits available

2 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

except Elementalist… no clue what they were designing that for but it wasn’t PvE, nor was it PvP…

Weeb bait, which I won't lie, august 20 I will definitely fall for it

Edited by Supernova Starr.2069
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah

11 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

Necro Spear is the only one that was clearly designed for PvP only… the rest have clear PvE design intent… except Elementalist… no clue what they were designing that for but it wasn’t PvE, nor was it PvP…

Yeah this is the correct answer. Spears have generally been designed for roaming PvE, and that is OKAY. We haven't really gotten weapons designed just for PvE roaming since core. HoT especs were mostly designed for raid comps. PoF especs were mostly designed for WvW when they weren't pushing back against the hyperspecialized niches of the HoT especs and trivializing raid roles. And EoD especs were mostly designed for PvP/WvW, leaning waayyyyy too hard into the generalist DPS designs of Firebrand and Scourge. And SotO weapons were just attempts to "fill out" the gaps in professions' abilities to have full power/condi/heal kits, which again is more WvW/PvP/raid-oriented.

Spears are a bid for casuals to roam the open world map solo and join in with the veterans. I think that is so blatantly clear by their self-contained kits. If they end up being functional in competitive or raid modes, that's great, but that does not seem to be their primary objective. Any weapon archetypes professions really want for balance-wise was already added; these are the FUN, stupid weapons. You remember fun, right?

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Funky.4861 said:

I'd like to know what you think warrior spear was designed for, because it's a disaster.

It was extremely strong on glass cannon Zerk (Wild Throw did like 25k a cast, anyone who dodged anything BUT double Wild Throw was instantly dead, I landed a spear 4 for like 17k at one point too) and very good on sidenode Spellbreaker?

The PvE DPS wasn't great, though someone posted a 40k parse iirc because power zerk damage comes almost entirely from axe/axe, but War spear fits the thread title pretty much perfectly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Shagie.7612 said:

It was extremely strong on glass cannon Zerk (Wild Throw did like 25k a cast, anyone who dodged anything BUT double Wild Throw was instantly dead, I landed a spear 4 for like 17k at one point too) and very good on sidenode Spellbreaker?

The PvE DPS wasn't great, though someone posted a 40k parse iirc because power zerk damage comes almost entirely from axe/axe, but War spear fits the thread title pretty much perfectly

My experience with warrior spear was that it was a confusing mess of gap-creator yet punishment for being at range whilst having range on every skill. I found the #5 skill really clunky and the skills lacked synergy, unless you stuck to melee and actively avoided any kind of ranged combat. It was also visually dull and didn't feel like a fun/satisfying weapon to use (due to the range mechanics).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2024 at 12:01 PM, Panda.1967 said:

 except Elementalist… no clue what they were designing that for but it wasn’t PvE, nor was it PvP…

Ele spear was designed for people like me whose pupils dialate at bright shiny graphics.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...