Istan has destroyed the games economy - nerf inc?

Shiyo.3578

@TheGrimm.5624 said:But can they? You said you have the gold so you are already beyond that point, I admit so I am. Now picture a new level 80 that needs icy runestones, how long does it take them to get it if the loot they acquired sells for coppers where yours was selling for silvers or golds. Again there are items outside of crafting materials that players will needs to acquire that also need to be considered. You need ascended recipes, they still cost 5 gold for each piece so 30 gold for set. The less the value of drops the more they need to gather.

You have to make wise choices about the sources of your income. If you used to farm specifically for mats and they got cheaper, Istan affects your income. My main income is fractals. I get boxes, open them with the keys I get there and sell the stuff to a vendor. It is not as much as one can make in Istan or Silverwastes, but it is stable, consistent income that is in no way affected by supply and demand (and much more fun). You also get mats that are affected by the market, like matrices and infusions, so I consider it a good mix. I have to do fractal dailies/recs for four days to buy 100 runestones, without counting in the mats I could sell on the TP. That didn't change at all, it was the same half a year ago. I'm sure there are other sources of income that have zero volatility.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Faaris.8013 said:

You have to make wise choices about the sources of your income. If you used to farm specifically for mats and they got cheaper, Istan affects your income. My main income is fractals. I get boxes, open them with the keys I get there and sell the stuff to a vendor. It is not as much as one can make in Istan or Silverwastes, but it is stable, consistent income that is in no way affected by supply and demand (and much more fun). You also get mats that are affected by the market, like matrices and infusions, so I consider it a good mix. I have to do fractal dailies/recs for four days to buy 100 runestones, without counting in the mats I could sell on the TP. That didn't change at all, it was the same half a year ago. I'm sure there are other sources of income that have zero volatility.

You bring up a good example of game mode/instance that's in pretty good balance between loot drops and liquid currency and fractals also have their own built in syncs since to do higher fractals you need to spend more coin to upgrade your infusions. When zones don't have a balance that's when I stop to question does that make sense. If a zone gives all rares then it reduces the value of rare drops everywhere else reducing the value of that other zone. To me that's not as healthy for the game. Might be great for players short term but may not be for long term. So just asking for a sanity check when we seem to get too much of a good thing.

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:

I don't grind silverwaste so I don't get 50g hour like some people. So yeah for my casual play the new prices are way better.

No they aren't. Anything you do is now INCREDIBLY devalued to the point where you're making less than half the gold you would be playing casually, while all the items that aren't being devalued by istan are still the same price. You are actually at a huge disadvantage from this.

That makes no sense ... Prices going down does not mean the games economy is destroyed.

Items that were worth 1.5-2s are now almost at vendor value(silk scraps). Leather is looking like it's heading to the same place.

That is the very definition of a DESTROYED economy.

Sorry but no. Anything I do is not INCREDIBLY devalued. I actually play for fun. I don't care how much gold per second I'm loosing by not farming Silverwaster and selling mats. If the content is fun I'll play it, if its boring I won't. I hate grinding and the lower mats prices are good for me. I do hope they now lower all item prices so the game can go back to the initial idea of play however you like and still get the stuff you want.

The initial play as you want referred specifically to leveling up, not to getting whatever stuff you want. In fact the devs specifically said, and originally designed the game accordingly, that you would need to complete specitic content to achieve specific rewards.

Well dungeons did provide us with a simple way to get the items we want from them.Same with the MF crafting for unique skins (you know the recipe, now go and play some maps/dungeons/stuff to get the mats).Even getting a precursor back then it was - play whatever and it might drop.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:I'm completely speechless at the amount of people who think this is is only an issue if you're a "tp flipper" and "Hoarder". Really? Please think before you post.

How is it bad to be able to buy powerful blood for 28s?

If the items you're farming lose value(over 50% on most items), but you want gold to buy an item unaffected by Istans farm, and that items price does NOT go down due there not being more supply of it because it's not related to istan, you just ended up having a harder time getting the item(s) you want due to istan being so rewarding and completely destroying the economy of so many items.

It also makes it so just playing the game feels a lot worse, you go do some level 80 maps or fractals or whatever and get a ton of t5-t6 mats, then end up with 50% less gold due to prices tanking.

POF zones have lost ANY value they had now as well due to istan giving the exact same loot, but 10x of it. POF zones used to be "eh" gold, now they're downright awful.

Istan is destroying this games economy.

What item are you talking about? I usually don't sell mats and the current mats prices are pretty fine compared to the gold I can get from daily + daily fractals.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:I'm completely speechless at the amount of people who think this is is only an issue if you're a "tp flipper" and "Hoarder". Really? Please think before you post.

How is Bad to get 50g instead of 100g if you want to buy gems?

Well if you want free gems. Then yeah this is bad for you.But then again this is might be good for ArenaNet, because now even more people might actually start buying gems.

Soo for people that are already buying gems for cash, the lower prices of mats are actually a good thing.

It works both ways. If more people starts buying gold with gems, both gem2gold and gold2gem will go down making it not worthy to buy more gems with cash.

Yeah If you buy gold with gems. But I was talking mostly about the people that by gems only to use them at the gem store. For them lower priced mats is pretty good deal.

I'd say for them mats price is irrelevant if they use gems directly to purchase items from gemstore.

Well it's not irrelevant. Now I can buy powerful blood for cheaper and complete the legendary backpack.I don't grind silverwaste so I don't get 50g hour like some people. So yeah for my casual play the new prices are way better.

But it has nothing to do with gem purchases if you consider your prerequisite of a person NOT using gems2gold conversion.

If you aren't using gems2gold then the lower mats is great for you. If you are using gems2gold then you will get less gold than you currently could.

Anyway the rare infusions/items just need to drop more and their price will go down.

I dont normally convert gold to gems and yet the reduced price of mats does nothing positive for me. It does, however, impact me in a negative way in terms of converting mats into liquid gold to purchase desired items.

Some of those rare items will drop less now, not more, because lowered value on mats means that a player would need to get more in order to have the same gold income. This means pursuing the current farm instead of the content that drops some of those rare items. If people are in Istan instead of where those rare items drop there will be fewer of them dropped.

Well then, maybe it's time to buff the drop rate of all rare items so you can be sure that after 5 or 10 metas you will get one, like doing TD meta 10-times and getting an infusion. This way the infusion prices will go down too, and players that prefer getting the items by playing (not buying) can just go and do the meta couple of times.

Fun fact. I've played a really bad P2W game back in the day and even in it I got epic (highest tier at the time) from grinding specific monsters for one week (at most 2 hours per day). Currently I've done Tequatle no idea how many times for the past 5 years and maybe got 1 ascended chest (but I'm not really sure about it).So yeah the drop rates need buffing all across the game.

Speaking as a player that has every aura currently except aurillium(to subtle)/SAB2/Cele Red and .. For now confetti. I like that these items are at that cost and they should stay at their rarity... Not ANYONE should just have them kthx.

@Blood.5607 said:

I don't grind silverwaste so I don't get 50g hour like some people. So yeah for my casual play the new prices are way better.

No they aren't. Anything you do is now INCREDIBLY devalued to the point where you're making less than half the gold you would be playing casually, while all the items that aren't being devalued by istan are still the same price. You are actually at a huge disadvantage from this.

That makes no sense ... Prices going down does not mean the games economy is destroyed.

Items that were worth 1.5-2s are now almost at vendor value(silk scraps). Leather is looking like it's heading to the same place.

Sorry but no. Anything I do is not INCREDIBLY devalued. I actually play for fun. I don't care how much gold per second I'm loosing by not farming Silverwaster and selling mats. If the content is fun I'll play it, if its boring I won't. I hate grinding and the lower mats prices are good for me. I do hope they now lower all item prices so the game can go back to the initial idea of play however you like and still get the stuff you want.

The initial play as you want referred specifically to leveling up, not to getting whatever stuff you want. In fact the devs specifically said, and originally designed the game accordingly, that you would need to complete specitic content to achieve specific rewards.

Well dungeons did provide us with a simple way to get the items we want from them.Same with the MF crafting for unique skins (you know the recipe, now go and play some maps/dungeons/stuff to get the mats).Even getting a precursor back then it was - play whatever and it might drop.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

If the items you're farming lose value(over 50% on most items), but you want gold to buy an item unaffected by Istans farm, and that items price does NOT go down due there not being more supply of it because it's not related to istan, you just ended up having a harder time getting the item(s) you want due to istan being so rewarding and completely destroying the economy of so many items.

It also makes it so just playing the game feels a lot worse, you go do some level 80 maps or fractals or whatever and get a ton of t5-t6 mats, then end up with 50% less gold due to prices tanking.

POF zones have lost ANY value they had now as well due to istan giving the exact same loot, but 10x of it. POF zones used to be "eh" gold, now they're downright awful.

What item are you talking about? I usually don't sell mats and the current mats prices are pretty fine compared to the gold I can get from daily + daily fractals.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Well if you want free gems. Then yeah this is bad for you.But then again this is might be good for ArenaNet, because now even more people might actually start buying gems.

Soo for people that are already buying gems for cash, the lower prices of mats are actually a good thing.

It works both ways. If more people starts buying gold with gems, both gem2gold and gold2gem will go down making it not worthy to buy more gems with cash.

Yeah If you buy gold with gems. But I was talking mostly about the people that by gems only to use them at the gem store. For them lower priced mats is pretty good deal.

I'd say for them mats price is irrelevant if they use gems directly to purchase items from gemstore.

Well it's not irrelevant. Now I can buy powerful blood for cheaper and complete the legendary backpack.I don't grind silverwaste so I don't get 50g hour like some people. So yeah for my casual play the new prices are way better.

But it has nothing to do with gem purchases if you consider your prerequisite of a person NOT using gems2gold conversion.

If you aren't using gems2gold then the lower mats is great for you. If you are using gems2gold then you will get less gold than you currently could.

Anyway the rare infusions/items just need to drop more and their price will go down.

I dont normally convert gold to gems and yet the reduced price of mats does nothing positive for me. It does, however, impact me in a negative way in terms of converting mats into liquid gold to purchase desired items.

Some of those rare items will drop less now, not more, because lowered value on mats means that a player would need to get more in order to have the same gold income. This means pursuing the current farm instead of the content that drops some of those rare items. If people are in Istan instead of where those rare items drop there will be fewer of them dropped.

Well then, maybe it's time to buff the drop rate of all rare items so you can be sure that after 5 or 10 metas you will get one, like doing TD meta 10-times and getting an infusion. This way the infusion prices will go down too, and players that prefer getting the items by playing (not buying) can just go and do the meta couple of times.

Fun fact. I've played a really bad P2W game back in the day and even in it I got epic (highest tier at the time) from grinding specific monsters for one week (at most 2 hours per day). Currently I've done Tequatle no idea how many times for the past 5 years and maybe got 1 ascended chest (but I'm not really sure about it).So yeah the drop rates need buffing all across the game.

Speaking as a player that has every aura currently except aurillium(to subtle)/SAB2/Cele Red and .. For now confetti. I like that these items are at that cost and they should stay at their rarity... Not ANYONE should just have them kthx.

Why?

@YoukiNeko.6047 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Why?

There’s value in an item being rare so that you don’t see everyone using it. They also benefit the content that they’re attached to.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Why?

There’s value in an item being rare so that you don’t see everyone using it. They also benefit the content that they’re attached to.

Sure. But then again what if they were locked like dungeon armor behind tokens? This way you know you need X runs to get the item. Instead of the current 'Meh' runs to get the item.

@Arden.7480 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:Silk 30c, ectos 19s, thick leather 54c, powerful bloods 28s.

This map has single-handedly destroyed the entire games economy. Is there going to be a fix for this?

LOL. First good map (since HoT) and very enjoyable and you want already its death? We just need to wait.

Wait until what, every t5 mat is vendor value and t6 mats are 1s each?

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

You bring up a good example of game mode/instance that's in pretty good balance between loot drops and liquid currency and fractals also have their own built in syncs since to do higher fractals you need to spend more coin to upgrade your infusions. When zones don't have a balance that's when I stop to question does that make sense. If a zone gives all rares then it reduces the value of rare drops everywhere else reducing the value of that other zone. To me that's not as healthy for the game. Might be great for players short term but may not be for long term. So just asking for a sanity check when we seem to get too much of a good thing.

Keep in mind the rewards of a zone might be intentionally unbalanced to increase the number of players who want to play there. Keeping the economy of the game healthy is important, but it is not the goal. The goal is keeping he playerbase healthy.

@Daniel.5428 said:Farm Istan, stack t6 and t5, wait some months until new leg weapons and leg ring comes out. Sell t6 to a price three times higher than now. Profit.

why would I want to stack t6 and t5, sacrificing storage space and racking up initial investments for the vendor fee, if I can just farm istan, stack VM in my wallet and buy trophy shipments with it in a couple of months, when demand goes up?

@Faaris.8013 said:

@"Zaklex.6308" said:The only person I would listen to if they posted in this thread is Wanze, otherwise I don't think anyone else understand Economy 101

I respect your admiration for Wanze, but several people here stated similar views. You might wanna rethink your view of "authorities" though. It's not about the person who says something, it's about the content.

You obviously missed the point because it was to subtle...we could have the worlds top economist working at Anet and it really wouldn't matter what anyone says, it's their game and they'll run it how they see fit, including the economy. What do they do, limit the number of Brandstones you can harvest and stop letting the other stuff be sellable to the vendor...neither of those address the issue the OP is complaining about, which tells me this is exactly how they wanted the game to react.

From what heard, they just put a stop to multiloot. It was supposed to be last patch, but it didn't go through(people were still able to switch characters and loot again), but it stuck after yesterday's patch, now you have to complete portions of an event to loot certain chest, at least with GH, I haven't done palawadan yet.

@Wanze.8410 said:

@Daniel.5428 said:Farm Istan,
stack t6 and t5
, wait some months until new leg weapons and leg ring comes out. Sell t6 to a price three times higher than now. Profit.

why would I want to stack t6 and t5, sacrificing storage space and racking up initial investments for the vendor fee, if I can just farm istan, stack VM in my wallet and buy trophy shipments with it in a couple of months, when demand goes up?

Definitely better.Watch ou for nerfs.

@Wanze.8410 said:why would I want to stack t6 and t5, sacrificing storage space and racking up initial investments for the vendor fee, if I can just farm istan, stack VM in my wallet and buy trophy shipments with it in a couple of months, when demand goes up?

Because if they will ever nerf Istan, Trophy shipments will be the top priority, and then reducing the number of chests during meta. So is better to buy them now when they are the same.

@Daniel.5428 said:

@Wanze.8410 said:why would I want to stack t6 and t5, sacrificing storage space and racking up initial investments for the vendor fee, if I can just farm istan, stack VM in my wallet and buy trophy shipments with it in a couple of months, when demand goes up?

Because if they will ever nerf Istan, Trophy shipments will be the top priority, and then reducing the number of chests during meta. So is better to buy them now when they are the same.

If I am afraid that they nerf the droprates from shipments, I could just use the raw gold I give to the vendor and place buy orders for t6 mats and sell them, once it gets nerfed and make the same profit without having to farm all day.

@"Feanor.2358" said:

Keep in mind the rewards of a zone might be intentionally unbalanced to increase the number of players who want to play there. Keeping the economy of the game healthy is important, but it is not the goal. The goal is keeping he playerbase healthy.

Agreed, that's why if it short term it has some merit, but it might also have a backlash effect since some of the playerbase will call foul when it gets changed. I almost think if the intent is to bolster a new zone in this way then that should be clearly stated up front so that players are aware this is short term versus bitter when it ends. "A rush is on in Istan as short term opportunities emerge."

@Rezzet.3614 said:its a good thing i say all of the game revolved around buying materials for crafting and such instead of actually farming and craftIng, its only bad for gold to gem converters and even then not so bad ,now if we could tone down timegating that would be great

It impacts more than that. Stop and look at all the things that are only available from vendors for gold & silver. Legendary ingredients, crafting recipes, master crafting materials, waypoint traveling, fractal ingredients... there is more than just the issue of the cost of tradable crafting materials here. NPCs buy at junk prices but charge you in gold prices for key items. We need to keep an eye on the overall picture, else we lose players since they will only make gold via their credit card. Again sky isn't falling but everything being trash loot in the end is not a good state so we need to keep an eye on the long haul.

Archived