Istan has destroyed the games economy - nerf inc?

Shiyo.3578

This. The market's been in a tumble since PoF launched. A mix of new players plus ANet being rather generous with distribution of basic materials has put the whole thing into a gluttonous slump.

Yep, this is a continuation of the process that began with PoF.

I personally don't mind, cheaper materials means crafting costs less. Means I can craft more and as crafting (ascended especially) is a large part of the end game for GW2 it's all good for me.Cheaper materials? My #1 bottleneck when it comes to crafting ascended armor is rugged leather, and it has been hovering at around 5s for more than a year. Let me know when the price of rugged leather starts to drop.

Did you know you can get a lot of Rugged Leather from Cowrie League Leather Crates in PoF?Yep, but that doesn't change the fact that Rugged Leather is my bottleneck and its price hasn't changed much over the last year. If Cowrie League Leather crates were that lucrative, the supply of Rugged Leather would have increased, leading to a decrease in the price of Rugged Leather on the Trading Post. But that hasn't happened.

If you compare two points in time then it would seem like there hasn’t been much change over the year. If you look at the trend then you will see something happened last Spring that causes prices to increase and supply to decrease. That’s fairly difficult to miss. You’ll also see that since PoF, supply have been increasing.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:I'm completely speechless at the amount of people who think this is is only an issue if you're a "tp flipper" and "Hoarder". Really? Please think before you post.

How is it bad to be able to buy powerful blood for 28s?

If the items you're farming lose value(over 50% on most items), but you want gold to buy an item unaffected by Istans farm, and that items price does NOT go down due there not being more supply of it because it's not related to istan, you just ended up having a harder time getting the item(s) you want due to istan being so rewarding and completely destroying the economy of so many items.

It also makes it so just playing the game feels a lot worse, you go do some level 80 maps or fractals or whatever and get a ton of t5-t6 mats, then end up with 50% less gold due to prices tanking.

POF zones have lost ANY value they had now as well due to istan giving the exact same loot, but 10x of it. POF zones used to be "eh" gold, now they're downright awful.

Istan is destroying this games economy.

I still make 15-25g an hour through mat runs alone still. Even with refining and selling them off.

This has not affected my gameplay in anyway. I think it is just you being the drama king/queen.

This. The market's been in a tumble since PoF launched. A mix of new players plus ANet being rather generous with distribution of basic materials has put the whole thing into a gluttonous slump.

I personally don't mind, cheaper materials means crafting costs less. Means I can craft more and as crafting (ascended especially) is a large part of the end game for GW2 it's all good for me.Cheaper materials? My #1 bottleneck when it comes to crafting ascended armor is rugged leather, and it has been hovering at around 5s for more than a year. Let me know when the price of rugged leather starts to drop.

Did you know you can get a lot of Rugged Leather from Cowrie League Leather Crates in PoF?Yep, but that doesn't change the fact that Rugged Leather is my bottleneck and its price hasn't changed much over the last year. If Cowrie League Leather crates were that lucrative, the supply of Rugged Leather would have increased, leading to a decrease in the price of Rugged Leather on the Trading Post. But that hasn't happened.

If you compare two points in time then it would seem like there hasn’t been much change over the year. If you look at the trend then you will see something happened last Spring that causes prices to increase and supply to decrease. That’s fairly difficult to miss. You’ll also see that since PoF, supply have been increasing.According to GW2Spidy, Rugged Leather Section sell listings:Jan 31, 2017: 150k, 4s 54cSept 22, 2017 (Path of Fire release date): 140k, 5s 14cJan 31, 2018: 110k, 4s 80c

The supply of leather on the Trading Post has fluctuated over the last year, but the steady-state (long-term supply/demand, absent speculation) doesn't appear to have changed much. The supply has not been increasing since PoF launched, either. The supply is actually lower, after peaking at nearly 200k sell listings in early November.

If you want an example of item that has seen a genuine supply increase since PoF, look at Orichalcum Ingots:Jan 31, 2017: 130k sell listings, 6s 20cSept 22, 2017: 220k sell listings, 4s 87cJan 31, 2018: 370k sell listings, 2s 9c

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Snowflurry.4529 said:No need to nerf. Is it good for normal players who actually play the game? Yes. The absolute minority of a vocal club of abnormal grind/farmers who like to powertrade is irrelevant.

I am not a grinder, farmer, nor power trader and yet I am worse off.

But thats how you are supposed to play the game! It's an MMO after all, thats their whole premise and everything fun is bonus.

:bleep_bloop: <- Jake

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

@Snowflurry.4529 said:No need to nerf. Is it good for normal players who actually play the game? Yes. The absolute minority of a vocal club of abnormal grind/farmers who like to powertrade is irrelevant.

But thats how you are supposed to play the game! It's an MMO after all, thats their whole premise and everything fun is bonus.

:bleep_bloop:

LOL, I will get right on that then.

If you compare two points in time then it would seem like there hasn’t been much change over the year. If you look at the trend then you will see something happened last Spring that causes prices to increase and supply to decrease. That’s fairly difficult to miss. You’ll also see that since PoF, supply have been increasing.According to GW2Spidy, Rugged Leather Section sell listings:Jan 31, 2017: 150k, 4s 54cSept 22, 2017 (Path of Fire release date): 140k, 5s 14cJan 31, 2018: 110k, 4s 80c

The supply of leather on the Trading Post has fluctuated over the last year, but the steady-state (long-term supply/demand, absent speculation) doesn't appear to have changed much. The supply has not been increasing since PoF launched, either. The supply is actually lower, after peaking at nearly 200k sell listings in early November.

If you want an example of item that has seen a genuine supply increase since PoF, look at Orichalcum Ingots:Jan 31, 2017: 130k sell listings, 6s 20cSept 22, 2017: 220k sell listings, 4s 87cJan 31, 2018: 370k sell listings, 2s 9c

Look at the trends. Don’t cherrypick specific dates.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:It's not Istan.

What "trends" are you talking about? The trend since PoF was released is down. The trend in the last 365 days is down. GW2Spidy data does not support your conclusion.

@Ashen.2907 said:

Doesn't sound to me like you were doing that good to being with. You can't make as much money as people doing those activities simply going through your storyline or whatever. I mean, you have to be honest here ... if money is your concern and you want to make lots of it, there are some exceptional ways to do that if you want to; regular game play isn't that path and no matter what you have been told, it never will be because regular game play isn't exceptional.

I see no problem here to be honest; less money from grinding/farming/powertrading actually encourages the modes of play that you seem to be doing ... if you are getting more mats from the activities you like doing ... how is this a problem?

@Shostie.6435 said:

What "trends" are you talking about? The trend since PoF was released is down. The trend in the last 365 days is down. GW2Spidy data does not support your conclusion.

Supply has gone up since last May. It’s actually been fairly flat (very little ups and downs) since S4E1 released. I’m using GW2TP as it’s cleaner.

https://imgur.com/SPI80Xi (without edits)https://imgur.com/L6c3fVM (with curves shown)

The reason I’m telling you to not cherrypick dates is because it’s very possibly to pull numbers from three dates, pull them again, and have them tell opposite stories. Things can fluctuate quite a bit throughout the day. Pulling only a handful of dates to cover a large time period can yield misleading results as well.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Supply has gone up since last May. It’s actually been fairly flat (very little ups and downs) since S4E1 released. I’m using GW2TP as it’s cleaner.

The reason I’m telling you to not cherrypick dates is because it’s very possibly to pull numbers from three dates, pull them again, and have them tell opposite stories. Things can fluctuate quite a bit throughout the day. Pulling only a handful of dates to cover a large time period can yield misleading results as well.You're doing exactly what you have accused me of doing. In other words, you're projecting. You cherrypicked the month that had the lowest supply of Rugged Leather Sections, then used that to argue that the supply is increasing in Jan 2018. That doesn't make any sense unless you ignore all other data (such as the supply spike in November) and context (an expansion was released on Sept 22).

You say the supply of Rugged Leather Sections is increasing because of May, but the supply looks pretty steady to me over the last two months. You have yet to make any argument as to why the data from May, in particular, is special. Why is what happened in May, relevant today? What is the mechanism? Was a new mechanic added to the game that month? Were loot tables changed? Did a deep-pocketed speculator decide to corner the market in May and hasn't stopped since?

@Shostie.6435 said:

The reason I’m telling you to not cherrypick dates is because it’s very possibly to pull numbers from three dates, pull them again, and have them tell opposite stories. Things can fluctuate quite a bit throughout the day. Pulling only a handful of dates to cover a large time period can yield misleading results as well.You're doing exactly what you have accused me of doing. In other words, you're projecting. You cherrypicked the month that had the lowest supply of Rugged Leather Sections, then used that to argue that the supply is increasing in Jan 2018. That doesn't make any sense unless you ignore all other data (such as the supply spike in November) and context (an expansion was released on Sept 22).

You say the supply of Rugged Leather Sections is increasing because of May, but the supply looks pretty steady to me over the last two months. You have yet to make any argument as to why the data from May, in particular, is special. Why is what happened in May, relevant today? What is the mechanism? Was a new mechanic added to the game that month? Were loot tables changed? Did a deep-pocketed speculator decide to corner the market in May and hasn't stopped since?

I posted images in my previous post showing the curves are indeed upward. May had been brought up due to you stating "its price hasn't changed much over the last year" which was false. Something did occur in May that affected it's price as well as supply. Something occurred with PoF that resulted in the supply level to increase and it has been pretty stable since S4E1.

@"Ashen.2907" said:I get less gold now than I did prior, and the buying power of that gold has not gone up for me. So, I wouldnt say that the economy has been destroyed, but it has certainly been damaged for me."for you" is the key part here. It so just happens that you're playing in such a way that the changes affected you negatively. This doesn't mean they had a negative impact for everyone, or even for majority of players. It just means that your playing habits are no longer as profitable as before.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Snowflurry.4529" said:No need to nerf. Is it good for normal players who actually play the game? Yes. The absolute minority of a vocal club of abnormal grind/farmers who like to powertrade is irrelevant.

Doesn't sound to me like you were doing that good to being with. You can't make as much money as people doing those activities simply going through your storyline or whatever. I mean, you have to be honest here ... if money is your concern and you want to make lots of it, there are some exceptional ways to do that if you want to; regular game play isn't that path and no matter what you have been told, it never will be because regular game play isn't exceptional.

I see no problem here to be honest; less money from grinding/farming/powertrading actually encourages the modes of play that you seem to be doing ... if you are getting more mats from the activities you like doing ... how is this a problem?

I spend a big chunk of my time in WvW currently. Fractals a couple of times per week. Dailies. Some open world play. The mats I get sell for less now than they did before. I am not hurting for gold at this time though and am not trying to claim that the economy has been ruined (specifically stated that I am not making that claim). What I am saying, in response to someone attempting to generalize and divide, is that its not just, as HE put it, farmers, grinders, and power traders that are affected. I think that I qualify as a, "normal player who actually plays the game," and I am worse off (in terms of income). Doesn't ruin the game. I have enough gold, currently, to get by. But my in game income, from playing the game, is less than it was.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Ashen.2907" said:I get less gold now than I did prior, and the buying power of that gold has not gone up for me. So, I wouldnt say that the economy has been destroyed, but it has certainly been damaged for me."for you" is the key part here. It so just happens that you're playing in such a way that the changes affected you negatively. This doesn't mean they had a negative impact for everyone, or even for majority of players. It just means that
your
playing habits are no longer as profitable as before.

Umm, yeah. That is what I said.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:I get less gold now than I did prior, and the buying power of that gold has not gone up for me. So, I wouldnt say that the economy has been destroyed, but it has certainly been damaged for me."for you" is the key part here. It so just happens that you're playing in such a way that the changes affected you negatively. This doesn't mean they had a negative impact for everyone, or even for majority of players. It just means that
your

Sorry, i must have confused that subthread with other posts flying around. In that case i agree: there will be other people than farmers, grinders and power traders that might get negatively affected. And by saying "other" i don't even try to imply that those three groups will get mostly negatively affected. Personally, i rather doubt that.The players that will end up on the short end of that change are people that sell mats for gold, and use that gold to buy stuff directly. And are either unwilling, or simply cannot (because, for example the stuff they want is not craftable) change that approach.

Unfortunately, any change will always result in some people that will end up disadvantaged by it. No matter how good or bad the change is.

@Ashen.2907 said:I spend a big chunk of my time in WvW currently. Fractals a couple of times per week. Dailies. Some open world play. The mats I get sell for less now than they did before. I am not hurting for gold at this time though and am not trying to claim that the economy has been ruined (specifically stated that I am not making that claim). What I am saying, in response to someone attempting to generalize and divide, is that its not just, as HE put it, farmers, grinders, and power traders that are affected. I think that I qualify as a, "normal player who actually plays the game," and I am worse off (in terms of income). Doesn't ruin the game. I have enough gold, currently, to get by. But my in game income, from playing the game, is less than it was.

In your case, you might say that while you sell mats for less gold now, the gold you earn from fractals and dailies is actually worth more. You have less income when you calculate it as gold value, but it doesn't necessarily mean you earn less wealth. That would depend on the balance between your different sources of income (liquid gold vs mats) and your needs (how much liquid gold vs mats you need for the things you want).

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:I get less gold now than I did prior, and the buying power of that gold has not gone up for me. So, I wouldnt say that the economy has been destroyed, but it has certainly been damaged for me."for you" is the key part here. It so just happens that you're playing in such a way that the changes affected you negatively. This doesn't mean they had a negative impact for everyone, or even for majority of players. It just means that
your

Sorry, i must have confused that subthread with other posts flying around. In that case i agree: there will be other people than farmers, grinders and power traders that might get negatively affected. And by saying "other" i don't even try to imply that those three groups
will
get mostly negatively affected. Personally, i rather doubt that.The players that will end up on the short end of that change are people that sell mats for gold, and use that gold to buy stuff directly. And are either unwilling, or simply cannot (because, for example the stuff they want is not craftable) change that approach.

Unfortunately, any change will always result in some people that will end up disadvantaged by it. No matter how good or bad the change is.

@Ashen.2907 said:I spend a big chunk of my time in WvW currently. Fractals a couple of times per week. Dailies. Some open world play. The mats I get sell for less now than they did before. I am not hurting for gold at this time though and am not trying to claim that the economy has been ruined (specifically stated that I am not making that claim). What I am saying, in response to someone attempting to generalize and divide, is that its not just, as HE put it, farmers, grinders, and power traders that are affected. I think that I qualify as a, "normal player who actually plays the game," and I am worse off (in terms of income). Doesn't ruin the game. I have enough gold, currently, to get by. But my in game income, from playing the game, is less than it was.

In your case, you might say that while you sell mats for less gold now, the gold you earn from fractals and dailies is actually worth
more
. You have less income when you calculate it as gold value, but it doesn't necessarily mean you earn less
wealth
. That would depend on the balance between your different sources of income (liquid gold vs mats) and your needs (how much liquid gold vs mats you need for the things you want).

The gold I get from fractals, etc isnt worth more (for me) now because I have no need for those things (primarily mats) that have had their value reduced.

I agree that Istan breaks things a bit.

That said, this is no different than real life. You have TP traders (banking, stock trading, etc) and farmers (pretty much any other job). TP trading can be fun and profitable but comes with risks and capital requirements. Farming is generally nightmarish to almost everyone I have spoken to but providing goods to be sold to the public provides income. The third group is the people who want to relax, enjoy life and travel. These people rarely become rich doing what they do but enjoy life more due to less stress.

You can't be part of group 3 and complain about groups 1 and 2. The difference between real life and GW2, however, is anyone can farm in the game whereas real life sometimes kicks you in the nuts and tells you that if you don't stay down it'll smash your head in with a brick.

But its not necessary to farm to get rich.Just about anything you do in this game , including just logging on rewards you in some way with either gold of items that you can sell to vendors and get gold.But the problem is most people want to get rich quick, by doing the least possible and farming is best for that.Most people in the game who want to be rich arnt because they spend their gold as fast as they get it , on items that depreciate, just like people in RL do.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

Yes, John Smith left in April. The communists took over the economy now, sadly.Remember this does not only make that rubbish starting gear cheaper, but also prestigious legendaries.

It's funny, in a single content update these developers completely invalidated all of john's hard work.

You can't be serious with the communist comment, it is the most casual game on the market this is exactly how the market for a casual game should be.

And I am so God Damn fucking thankful for it. That guy was ruining the game. There is no need for things to be as expensive as they are except to make elistist snow flakes feel special because they have and no one else does. It is a fantasy mmorpg, it isn't stock market simulator and Smith should have never been allowed to try to make the trading post into that.

Archived