Stuck on "Connection error(s) detected. Retrying..." while trying to download the Guild Wars 2 launcher.

Hello all,

I am at a loss for things to try.  I am attempting to download Guild Wars 2 after years of not playing.  I have tried using the download from steam and from arenanets website and each time I receive the same error.  The download starts, and the download speed gets progressively slower until reaching Downloading 0KB (0KB/sec) and eventually leading to an error stating "Connection error(s) detected. Retrying..." where it freezes.  I have tried for several hours to fix this issue.  I have read through several threads with people having the same issue.  I read that Killer ethernet ports set guild wars 2 to a lower priority, which mine did, but I have set everything to Priority 1, but received the same issue.  I have tried restarting my modem and router, made sure the executable files are not blocked, cleared temp data, tried turning off my firewall, made an exception for guild wars 2 in my firewall, attempted to use googles dns addresses, created an inbound rule for guild wars 2 ensuring that port 80 and port 443 are open, cleared my dns cache and reinstalled the game in steam and download files from arenanet.  I also followed these steps: https://imgur.com/a/8HA67lK that I found in another thread and I am receiving the same error.  Unfortunately, none of this has resolved the issue.

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Apollo.8751 said:

I also followed these steps: https://imgur.com/a/8HA67lK that I found in another thread and I am receiving the same error.

They blocked access to origincdn, so following this exactly will only cause this problem. You have to find IPs for assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com instead (you can use 99.86.37.231), and it will eventually cause this problem when the IP changes. However, the common cause for needing this was supposedly fixed, so unless your local Amazon CDN is down (unlikely), this shouldn't help.

The launcher downloads using standard HTTP on port 80. Anything that interferes with web traffic could cause this problem.

I'll try that in the morning and see if it helps.  I can't think of anything that would be interfering with web traffic to be honest and I've even set up exceptions for GW2 at this point.  I've never had an issue with any other game or launcher.  I don't suppose there is somewhere I could torrent the file from?

Otherwise I can try contacting my ISP on Monday, but that is a huge pain and I'll probably be on hold for a couple hours to be told it's not a problem on their end.  Are there any known issues with CenturyLink?  I looked briefly but I didn't find anything.  

Hopefully the support ticket I submitted with gw2 support goes somewhere after I stop getting form responses.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

They blocked access to origincdn, so following this exactly will only cause this problem. You have to find IPs for assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com instead (you can use 99.86.37.231), and it will eventually cause this problem when the IP changes. However, the common cause for needing this was supposedly fixed, so unless your local Amazon CDN is down (unlikely), this shouldn't help.

The launcher downloads using standard HTTP on port 80. Anything that interferes with web traffic could cause this problem.

Unfortunately, this did not resolve my issue either.  Windows troubleshooter recommended trying to run the launcher in Windows 8 compatibility mode which also led to the same issue.  I received another form response from support asking me to complete steps I had already completed and told them I completed, but I tried them again and am still having the same issue.

• Haha 1

Just to be certain, I tried installing the game on my test bench which is using Intel instead of AMD and received the same results.  My test bench is pretty much running bare bones in terms of what software is on it, so I guess at least I can rule out another program interfering with the download and unless both my PCs are experiencing the issue, I don't think it is a platform issue. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Apollo.8751 said:

Just to be certain, I tried installing the game on my test bench which is using Intel instead of AMD and received the same results.  My test bench is pretty much running bare bones in terms of what software is on it, so I guess at least I can rule out another program interfering with the download and unless both my PCs are experiencing the issue, I don't think it is a platform issue. 

To be really certain, try from a completely different network.

Maybe anti-virus software with real time scanning doing something funny too?

Edited by Chaba.5410

1 hour ago, Chaba.5410 said:

To be really certain, try from a completely different network.

Maybe anti-virus software with real time scanning doing something funny too?

I can try my phones mobile Hotspot, but outside of that I don't have another network to try unless I want to lug my PC to my brother's and to be honest I'm not willing to do that or inconvenience him to accommodate that.

I have no anti virus other than windows defender / firewall which I don't think is the issue, but I've already created exceptions for guild wars 2 anyway.  

I'll update after I try connecting to my mobile Hotspot. 

• Haha 1

Guild Wars 2 support is stating that it is an issue with packet loss, so I am going to try and contact my ISP.  If that doesn't work, I will just play something else.

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance.

• Sad 1