wvw when bad at pvp

Hi, I enjoy being part of a zerg for the fun of it but I'm quite bad at fighting other people. It's not so bad when in a large group as long as I don't die instantly I can use ranged to do Something, but there isn't always a tag online when I want to play. During those times I try to capture sentries and camps but if I encounter another player I'm basically guaranteed dead. Am I harming my team's score by dying?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Isopod.4156 said:

Am I harming my team's score by dying?

Yes and no 🙂 (going purely by the numbers, psychological effects aside)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World#War_Score

Killing you gives the enemy player a refresh to his participation timer to 10 min (which is the max you can gain), allowing him to stay in an area to engage other players. The war score for a kill is 2 points (3 with bloodlust). Securing a basic camp awards 2 points as well per tick. So if you died defending a camp and it allowed to tick for you team, you even out the points, even if you died. The downside is, that you have to restart from spawn (and renew your own participation on an enemy location, like shrine, sentry or dolly to 5 min), so the enemy has a tactical advantage out of you being killed. Should you be able to get one or two dollies out of the camp that reach their destination, the points shift to your advantage.

Edited by Gorani.7205
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Isopod.4156 said:

Hi, I enjoy being part of a zerg for the fun of it but I'm quite bad at fighting other people. It's not so bad when in a large group as long as I don't die instantly I can use ranged to do Something, but there isn't always a tag online when I want to play. During those times I try to capture sentries and camps but if I encounter another player I'm basically guaranteed dead. Am I harming my team's score by dying?

I would think you are scoring more overall points by taking camps, etc., than an occasional death.

Also, get good at scouting while taking camps/sentries. Know what to call out on team chat. Be specific (numbers of enemies, colors, where they are hitting a structure,  percentage of damage). Camps or paper towers maybe don't need callouts unless it's evident that the enemies could hit a keep too.

In addition,  your build might need more defense when roaming, and more mobility to escape (blinks, leaps, movement speed boons and runes), invisibility,  condi clears, stun breaks. You don't have to fight 1v1s if you don't want to.  Learn to cross maps more sneaky, maybe avoid sentries at times to not get marked. 

You will learn. Have fun with it.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Isopod.4156 said:

Good on you for trying. First off, are you having fun. Even above score is fun. 

Gorani already shared the details to answer your question.

To add to that I would refer to this to understand the over time impacts of holding or taking objectives: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World#Score . 

Good hunting to you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Isopod.4156 said:

Nah.

you have fun? Yes? That’s what matters. You „give“ 2 or 3 points to an enemy when you die. After a match there are 5-6000 points and you did 30 of that if you died 10 times. No problem.

also i can tell you something. In my case i „kinda suck“ at pvp but every time i play it, i get better a few days in. You can grow and get better and than you will die less.

btw consider checking out proper roaming builds for when you are alone, this might help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No amount of build making will fix me not reacting to an attack in time to not get shredded, I'm real bad at paying attention to my surroundings XD I will try to get better at calling out groups of enemies.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Isopod.4156 said:

If you survive more than 30 seconds in a given fight, you're doing fine; most won't even manage that. The points from killing you are pretty inconsequential, you'd generally have to int very hard for it to matter.

Also if you contribute to kills this becomes a moot point.

Almost nobody cares about score for the most part.

• Like 1

You hurt your team kdr more probably, not so much the points, the ppt you get per tick and captures far out weighs what you give away on deaths. Either way your single deaths is nothing compared to an entire zerg wiping every 5mins.

I wouldn't worry about either, just play to have fun, if you're not having fun then nothing else matters anyways.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

As others have said, the short answer is no. One of the great things about wvw -- and one of the most important things to learn early -- is that losing has no consequence, so may as well just get out there and have fun. This is true both 1v1 and just generally. There's nothing to be won or lost. Now if you feel you're truly hopeless at fighting but don't want to get killed, just get on a mobile build with pure defense stats, you'll be able to run from the vast majority of the things out to kill you, either to safety or at least until they get tired of chasing you ; p

2 hours ago, Isopod.4156 said:

No amount of build making will fix me not reacting to an attack in time to not get shredded, I'm real bad at paying attention to my surroundings XD I will try to get better at calling out groups of enemies.

the chance u die with a zerging build versus a guy whos roaming is around 90% also.
ur most likely build to dps or whatever and have zero mobility, while roaming guy will just hunt u down with mobility and far better build to go around solo.

its not hard to learn but its harder when u instant die, id say find a sustain build or play something else u like that can take a few hits.
sure u might still die but u get to learn more when u survive longer 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Isopod.4156 said:

1. Create new character and make him a willbender
  2. Equip him with full marauder
  3. Go to irl pet shop and buy 2 hamsters ... one hamster alone wont do cuz he will die from depression
  4. Log in WvW with your new willbender
  5. Fill your keyboard with cheese
  6. Let loose both hamsters on keyboard
  7. Congratulations, you are now David Copperfield
Edited by Nanogrid.7283
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, reddie.5861 said:

the chance u die with a zerging build versus a guy whos roaming is around 90% also.
ur most likely build to dps or whatever and have zero mobility, while roaming guy will just hunt u down with mobility and far better build to go around solo.

its not hard to learn but its harder when u instant die, id say find a sustain build or play something else u like that can take a few hits.
sure u might still die but u get to learn more when u survive longer 😉

This.

consider to check a build. Generally a roaming build will have dps, defense, mobility, cc, condi clear.

and a zerg build will specialize on one.

i struggle clearing ez camps on my zerg build while i steamroll them on my roaming build. It’s a huge difference.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Try treating players like any boss or add. You can check out their core or elite, buffs, and kit and you can work on dismantling their build or their part in a team composition the same way you would in other game modes. Some players build opening sequence that can rip your mitigation open and hit raw Healthbar to possibly one shot you if you're glass or don't know how to bounce. You probably have some idea of how to react on instinct in other game modes when there's a phase that can one shot you, so you have some place to start. 

You'll get used to map travel to avoid a lot of stuff and you'll probably get better at dipping out when you pull the wrong kind of aggro.

Edited by kash.9213

On 7/7/2024 at 3:18 AM, CafPow.1542 said:

This.

consider to check a build. Generally a roaming build will have dps, defense, mobility, cc, condi clear.

and a zerg build will specialize on one.

i struggle clearing ez camps on my zerg build while i steamroll them on my roaming build. It’s a huge difference.

This ^^^^^.

If you are going to choose to roam you need to plan on fighting outnumbered so you need to go more tanky which means you need to be able to take hits, give hits back out while also planning on dealing with condi clears stunbreaks and CC of your own. Anytime you fight 1vX and they caught you anyway, don't run, turn and see what you can do. Practice which targets your build does better against and see it as an opportunity to better target what you can or where your builds works or doesn't work against so you can adjust. 

lol, as a lost guildmate asked me in the past while trying to join me while I was roaming, 'why did you jump those 6? For practice when they jump me. On the way back.'. 

1 hour ago, synk.6907 said:

The best part about being willing to fight and not just avoid it? You find out how many other players are as bad as you or worse. And you get better. And you get kills instead.

Can be done. My advice would be the opposite. Dive in head first into every fight. Only this will make you improve and get better over time cause especially in pvp situations it is the training that will help you become better. 

32 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:
On 7/9/2024 at 10:28 AM, DivineDreaming.7206 said:

If everyone already run that, doesnt that imply that cele and trailblazer die easily?

Schrödingers OPness. Being OP with X while everyone else also uses X but is not OP simultaneously.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, CafPow.1542 said:

My advice would be the opposite. Dive in head first into every fight. Only this will make you improve and get better over time cause especially in pvp situations it is the training that will help you become better. 

^^^^ This. If you get jumped you might as well try and fight it out. Likewise if you are solo and see a group, jump them so you are more ready to be jumped by them.