Getting back into WvWvW (I'm totally lost BTW)

So I'm looking to get back into WvWvW and my old guild is dead, all the guilds I used to chill with are dead and the restructuring confuses me.

So I'm going to go solo and start from scratch again, I'd like to solo roam and make some friends in map chat like i did when i first started, maybe find a few familiar faces. 

I'd like some advice on what are good/strong solo classes that can do map objective stuff, solo roam and small group roam. I'd prefer classes/specializations that are more simplistic than say an Mes or Ele. Treat me like a total newbro as I've forgotten most of what I knew and it's all changed anyway.

Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GROMIT.7829 said:

I'd like some advice on what are good/strong solo classes that can do map objective stuff, solo roam and small group roam.

overall with the balance patches over the years and us having warclaw for ooc mobility any class can work for that, so i would prioritize what you have fun playing.

that being said specially for solo doing map objectives IMO nothing comes close to thief for 2 reasons:

• you can avoid pointless encounters better/faster than most any other classes. for example groups that are too large and not noob enough for you to get something out of fighting.
  • shadow portal. it does help with the first point, but it saves a ton of time on running supply for the siege that you might need to build if you cannot straight hide inside an object or maintain a shadow portal inside of it. (given that if you open it in the last ~5s you can basically put down the next one right away and jump out again. while maintaining stealth for that short trip ofc)

for group roaming i am not too much of a fan of using thief unless everyone is using some elusive builds, but even then i guess a comped group with supports and builds that can utilize the support is better.

I always struggled with thief to even clear camps. But i mean i suck at this class so yeah.

what worked for me was always reaper.

really straightforward, high pressure, pretty safe, easy time killing pve objectives, quite good options to mobility with wurm, spectral walk, sword3 and shroud2 etc.

Reaper was one i was looking at, always hated the ranger and it's elites but i was considering that too. Thief was an option but that's very difficult to learn to play properly but thankfully i have all the classes etc.

1 hour ago, GROMIT.7829 said:

Reaper was one i was looking at, always hated the ranger and it's elites but i was considering that too. Thief was an option but that's very difficult to learn to play properly but thankfully i have all the classes etc.

Welcome back! Just remember roaming is going to be one of the rougher re-entries since its you us versus the world. I enjoy it enough to try and spend a 1/3 of my time there but it can be a challenge mode on it's own. Power reaper is still in a good spot, War has a number of variations, there is the dreaded Harbi and Willy. Ele is still strong in various formats. Dragonhunter still works for both roaming and then grouping in the same build. Engi has a number of options. Additional info, lots on youtube with samples and guides, there are the build sites for more examples: guildjen.com, gw2mists.com, metabattle.com.

I prefer build editors since I like to theory craft so would add http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ to check your builds and numbers before you do any crafting/changing.

Welcome back and good hunting!

• Like 1

Welcome back! I think most of suggestion above are pretty solid but I still think the ability to engage and dis-engage is pretty useful as a roamer. Therefore, have the ability to move from one spot to another as well as superspeed yourself or having some sort of stealth are quite useful. If I won't be able to play the class/builds that have lot of mobility and/or stealth, I will usually choose the cele stat builds which will give me more room for error. 

Willbender is the best class you can pick overall, it is easy , has tons of builds on the net , Anet will never nerf them, it is mobile, hits hard on condi and power, you can enter wvw on willbender for roaming and swap to FB for zergs or DH for dps in zergs , also it is good for solo and group roaming.