dual wielding animations needs an update!

Having a weapon in each hand and attacking feels good in every game I have ever played. For some reason in GW2 the weapon on the right-hand gets the animation while the left-hand weapon is just hanging around and annoys me to no end.  I hope the animation will get an update soon. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't be against it but I also understand if Anet says no regarding this, especially if a weapon is a blade and wants to do slashes and stabs and has the player doing a weird stabbing animation with a Mace for example.

This game's animations being tied to the weapon hand the skill is casting from is rather archaic but this IS an old game afterall. Some weapons do cast a skill with both arms together because it's designed to do so, which is about the best we can get. 

Edited by Yasai.3549
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

The only game I ever saw that is using dual welding which is not fixed (by that, I mean that some games uses some specific weapons who are dual welded by default, like some dual dagger, buildt up to have really specific animation) is dark souls 2 with the power stance, and it's nothing to talk about, really.

Also, you're kinda wrong, the reason why you only see animation on the right weapon is because... you're using the right weapon skill.

Also, with the game working how it works, I wonder how you would do dual welding animation on the same skill for sword/sword, sword/shield and sword/pistol 🤣

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

signed!

if my character is holding two axes i want to see them swinging them both!

perhaps part of Janthir Wilds release could be a refresh of very dated animations.

another example is looking at the auto attack for guardian scepter spamming the same single animation,

would be nice to get some flurrishes and backhand swings, kinda like playing tennis.

the only reason i think the devs might be weary of adding dual wield attack animations is how they might need to vary based on your weapons.

for instance a warrior wielding a dagger in the main hand might have more "stabby" or "slashy" attacks, which would look silly with a mace in the offhand.

and vice-versa using a mace in the main hand might give you pummeling and smashing animations which would look silly with a dagger in the offhand.

and it would be a lot of work to make dual wield animation sequences for all of the possible combos.

but still, i'd really like to see the auto attack chains receive dual wield animations.

Edited by Liewec.2896
  • Confused 6

As other people have said it's because the animations are tied to the weapon skills and the skills are tied to the weapon. You only use the off-hand weapon for skills 4 and 5.

Other games can do it differently because their skill systems are set up differently. A lot of them have dedicated dual wield skills or skill sets which will only work with appropriate weapons, so the animation can use both because the game knows if you're using those skills you'll have two appropriate weapons equipped. In GW2 (with the exception of 1 thief skill) your main hand skills don't change based on the off-hand weapon so there's no way to work them both into the animation. Yes it would look better if my elementalists were using both daggers for the auto-attack, but if they were using a dagger and a focus stabbing with both would look absurd.

Maybe Anet could do something like they did with thief skills where the animation changes based on the off-hand weapon, but without changing the skill effect because that would be a nightmare for balance), but it would mean not only creating a whole load of new animations but also updating how all the skills work to link the animations to the weapons currently equipped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 8:42 AM, Glorifying.4072 said:

Having a weapon in each hand and attacking feels good in every game I have ever played. For some reason in GW2 the weapon on the right-hand gets the animation while the left-hand weapon is just hanging around and annoys me to no end.  I hope the animation will get an update soon. 

The left hand has animations, too. You see them whenever you use left-hand skills (i.e. skills 4+5).

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

It felt weird to me at first. But it does make sense in a way. We have unique animations for every weapon skill and class combination. Its fine if we dont get a dualwield autoattack.