Win10 moving gw2 folder from C to E drive help

Hello everyone,

I have windows 10 and My C drive is getting full. I want to move gw2 from my C drive to My E drive before the next expansion. How do I go about this? Will Drag and drop to E drive work or will it break the game? If I do have to uninstall is there a way to save my settings such as hotkeys etc?

Thank you for your time.

Posted (edited)

You can simply drag and drop the Guild Wars 2 game folder to the new location.

You don't need to backup your keybinds, but if you want to, there is an option in-game to do so (bottom right corner of the Keybind window).

If you want to completely clean up the old installation, you could delete the current GW2 cache (#4).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

If you move the files you break the registry entries of the game resulting in not being able to uninstall the game because the registered paths become invalid. This is the case for any classic windows application.

What I would do:

•  1. Copy the Gw2.exe and Gw2.dat files to another folder. These two files is all you need to run the game. 
  •  2. Type %appdata% in the windows explorer adress bar and press enter. You will open your hidden appdata/roaming folder. Copy the folder Guild Wars 2 to another location. This folder contains your graphics and language settings. (This step is not really necessary because as far as I know the game does not remove this folder when being uninstalled.)
  •  3. Uninstall the game. This will erase the startmenu entries and the game from you installed applications list in your windows settings.
  •  4. Move the folder with the .exe and .dat (step 1) to your drive E: and start the game from that folder. It should run normally. You can create any shortcuts for the .exe, e.g. for t he windows startmenu.
  • 5. When you now want to get rid of the game, just delete the two folders from step 2 and 4.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

The Windows registry entry for GW2 doesn't really do anything other than tell Windows where the software is installed so Windows can uninstall it for you from the Windows "Add or remove programs" Control Panel.

The game is self-contained and doesn't rely upon Windows registry for anything.  You don't need any registry entry to run the game.  If you move it to another directory, all you need to do is update the shortcuts to it, both in the startmenu and desktop if that's how you installed it.

Games in general do not remove user data which is stored in %AppData% and GW2 is no exception.

To uninstall GW2 when there's no registry entry, just delete the installation folder.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

The Windows registry entry for GW2 doesn't really do anything other than tell Windows where the software is installed so Windows can uninstall it for you from the Windows "Add or remove programs" Control Panel.

That's my whole point. Every installed application is listed in windows settings > installed apps. If you delete (or remove) the application folder, then this entry remains and you get an error message when you want to remove it. If you don't care about such things, then sure, you can just remove the folder. Personally I would be annoyed by broken entries in my installed apps list.

That said: I am running the game from a 128 GB USB 3.0 stick (150MB reading speed) for ages now whithout any issues. I can plug the stick to any PC and all the game does on the first start on that PC is create die %appdata%/Guild Wars 2 folder for the local.dat and graphics settings.

Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

Personally I would be annoyed by broken entries in my installed apps list.

I have not "installed" GW2 in ages, that's probably why I didn't think of it. I have it on a non-C: drive, and whenever I had installed a new Windows version, I simply double-clicked the GW2 exe afterwards to play the game and it installed the necessary few files (and the registry entry).

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

That's unique!  Any particular reason you do this?

Various reasons...

• The main reason is, because it works. In general I like the concept of portable apps.
  • Being able to play the game on different PCs (Desktop, Laptop) without having to reserve 80GB of SSD space on each system.
  • Good USB sticks are much faster than external HDDs these days.
  • I pause playing every now and then for a few months. And so I don't have to redownload the game each time.
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1