Please give us a "do not disturb" function for the communicator

Being contacted by npcs when willingly doing the story is 100% fine with me but I'm tired of npcs in the map unprompted talking to me over massive distances. It's like if an unknown caller gave you a ring, you couldn't say no, and they start yapping about something you don't understand because you don't know who or even where they are, it starts from so far away.   I don't want to be accosted in the open world, it makes it really hard to enjoy the music and ambience of this gorgeous world, which is one of my favorite things.  Why can't we just have npcs talking about events through actual proximity, not over communicators, and only triggers if you're at least close enough to see them? Janthir Wilds does this in some places and it's so refreshing... and then they don't in others and I'm not sure why these magic hating Kodan are even accepting being handed devices they have no knowledge of.  If I have to hear A HUNTER! GLAD YOU'RE HERE, I AM! one more time while trying to enjoy the majesty and outstanding music of these new zones I am going to invest in rope for myself.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Fenom.9457 said:

Being contacted by npcs when willingly doing the story is 100% fine with me but I'm tired of npcs in the map unprompted talking to me over massive distances. It's like if an unknown caller gave you a ring, you couldn't say no, and they start yapping about something you don't understand because you don't know who or even where they are, it starts from so far away.   I don't want to be accosted in the open world, it makes it really hard to enjoy the music and ambience of this gorgeous world, which is one of my favorite things.  Why can't we just have npcs talking about events through actual proximity, not over communicators, and only triggers if you're at least close enough to see them? Janthir Wilds does this in some places and it's so refreshing... and then they don't in others and I'm not sure why these magic hating Kodan are even accepting being handed devices they have no knowledge of.  If I have to hear A HUNTER! GLAD YOU'RE HERE, I AM! one more time while trying to enjoy the majesty and outstanding music of these new zones I am going to invest in rope for myself.  

It's really annoying. I don't mind hearing it so much, but the text pops up over my character and blocks the action. I can't see what's going on in the fight.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

From my experience, those call only happens when you're nearby the relevant event, like 5 meters away from the point where it would be indicated on the interface.

My guess is that the old system of npc running at you is kinda obsolete in a world where people hover in griffon or skyscale, so they had to find a new design.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

It's really annoying. I don't mind hearing it so much, but the text pops up over my character and blocks the action. I can't see what's going on in the fight.

This is my biggest issue with it. I can just turn off my dialogue and I don't hear it. What gets me is when I'm trying to travel or fight or even do one of the adventures, and it happens to come close to one of the event areas and suddenly 'YOU THERE I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE TO HELP' in a massive white block in the middle of my screen. Can't see a damned thing and it usually messes up whatever I'm doing.
If the box were transparent, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. I highly double that Anet would remove the thing entirely, much as it would fix the entire problem.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Shadowfall.7148 said:

This is my biggest issue with it. I can just turn off my dialogue and I don't hear it. What gets me is when I'm trying to travel or fight or even do one of the adventures, and it happens to come close to one of the event areas and suddenly 'YOU THERE I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE HERE TO HELP' in a massive white block in the middle of my screen. Can't see a damned thing and it usually messes up whatever I'm doing.
If the box were transparent, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. I highly double that Anet would remove the thing entirely, much as it would fix the entire problem.

Just move the box to the side of the screen so it doesn't block everything. Does it really need to be right over my head?

• Like 4

Just give us a big red 'Mute Communicator' button in any map that uses communicator dialogue. Or a small toggle icon for it on the minimap.

Or just a setting or sound slider or anything that lets us turn it off. Make it a choice and not a forced circumstance to be called by people all the time.

Feels like the one most jarring thing for immersion in the new maps. Everything else looks and sounds and feels really great.

Edited by Chyro.1462
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't mind it sometimes but it's really annoying when it interrupts or plays over more relevant dialogue. Yesterday I couldn't hear the instructions for the event I was doing because I was getting communicator dialogue for an event somewhere else in the map (one I couldn't even see) over the top of it.

It would be great if we could mute it when we need to.

• Like 7

The way the thing works now, I don't feel like a "commander" or even a "wayfinder," I feel like a harassed customer service rep in some call center from Hell: "Thank you for calling Tyrian Support Services, how may I assist you today?" 🤬

Add a "Send comms traffic to mail" checkbox to the audio settings. When selected, messages (which already have a text-display component) will always go to in-game mail instead, with a "Show me" button at the bottom. If you care what it is at that moment, you'll check. If not, it can be ignored without being a gratuitous distraction from whatever else is happening.

Or maybe now that we have a house, why can't we accidentally-on-purpose forget it on the table when we leave?

Or best of all, just delete the damned thing and let us join dynamic events the old-fashioned way: by seeing it pop up on the mini-map and choosing to participate.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

As the title says.

I like the communicator for story related stuff. It's nice to have an in-universe way of communicating with important characters, and I loved how it's had to be upgraded and expanded upon several times in universe as well.

But for the love of Lyssa, please don't hand out communicators to every group event npc.

I'm enjoying playing with the spear on my Mesmer atm. I like that it's got this neat little icon above your character to show when you've got clarity, so you don't have to try to find it in the mess that is the boon bar.

But when I do any of the Janthir group events, and this happens over and over again, why even bother having the icon.

I know I can probably (unsure) turn off the speech-bubbles somewhere, but I shouldn't have to. I like them, I want them on for the most part. I just don't want them to actively interfere with my moment-to-moment gameplay.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3