Mounts!!!! Your thoughts?

Lazarus.4105

@ardasica.4531 said:Yay! My first thumbs down for indicating I would pass because mounts are mandatory. Which they are. I'm sure ANet isn't crying into their soup because I'm not purchasing PoF.

but remember, your opinion is meaningless because you get thumbs down from folks. ( you're right though). The new maps are scaled to riding mounts, making it seem they were a good idea. You can run on foot, and have the illusion of large maps or just ride your mount.

I have mixed feelings on mounts, Anet seems desperate for the WoW crowd. Then again we need something new. What are they going to do on the next expansion?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In past games I've played that required mounts, I had severe problems in using them. So, when I had to hop on some mount because there was no other way to traverse the territory, i.e. an ocean, I closed my eyes. If I had to fight while in the air, I closed my eyes and hopefully I was far enough when I died I ended up in the zone I wanted to be. Jumping, flying, going too fast for me tends to make me very light headed and unfocused aka dizzy.

So, mounts are not for me.

I am not happy that mounts will be in all maps. I wish they had restricted them to Path of Fire. I have a hard enough time with lag as it is.I like the mounts they've designed. They are interesting and move well. I got a little nauseated when riding for the first time, but hopefully that will ease. Also, I'm pretty darn clumsy with my mouse and WASD so I kept racing off into the wrong areas. Lag, again, doesn't help when you're going faster on a mount.As for mount suggestion, geez, can I just get a HORSE??

@Spiral.3724 said:I am not happy that mounts will be in all maps. I wish they had restricted them to Path of Fire. I have a hard enough time with lag as it is.I like the mounts they've designed. They are interesting and move well. I got a little nauseated when riding for the first time, but hopefully that will ease. Also, I'm pretty darn clumsy with my mouse and WASD so I kept racing off into the wrong areas. Lag, again, doesn't help when you're going faster on a mount.As for mount suggestion, geez, can I just get a HORSE??

I don't think I've ever seen a horse in GW2. Guess that would be jarring for me.

I like the way the mounts look. I have problems with the way camera moves when riding them (getting motion sickness after riding for a while. At least in this case it's mild, but still it's not something i find fun). I dislike them being required (especially when coupled with the previous point). I absolutely hate the fact that mounts may be used as an excuse to reduce the number of waypoints - i vastly prefer waypointing and consider using mounts a downgrade.

I was against mounts, because I believe that spoils the aesthetics of the game, turning then one more of those MMOs where all cities look like giant stables ......

But after testing, I ended up loving it. It is quite "flowing" navigation on the maps and gives a sense of agility, when their use come to Central Tyria will be a good upgrade to travel.

And I ended up wondering "why not before?" traveling through Tyria is unnecessarily difficult on foot, the mobs of GW2 have large detection area etc.

I am completely ok with mounts if they are blocked on cities. The "carnival" factor is already big in the game. Where the zergs do not look like legions of soldiers, but a Brazilian carnival parade. If freed mounts in the cities, the cities will look like a

full of alegoric cars.

@Astralporing.1957 said:I like the way the mounts look. I have problems with the way camera moves when riding them (getting motion sickness after riding for a while. At least in this case it's mild, but still it's not something i find fun). I dislike them being required (especially when coupled with the previous point). I absolutely hate the fact that mounts may be used as an excuse to reduce the number of waypoints - i vastly prefer waypointing and consider using mounts a downgrade.

Gliding and masteries are already being used to reduce the number of waypoints.

All the LWS3 maps were a dry run. I think they work rather well, though it remains to be seen how well mounts work in comparison.

I really like how they feel, move and are linked to masteries.On the other hand I'm affraid how they'd fit core Tyria and HoT maps.Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that you cannot die by falling with mount?I don't like it, and even if there should be a long penalty cooldown from this.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:I was against mounts, because I believe that spoils the aesthetics of the game, turning then one more of those MMOs where all cities look like giant stables ......

But after testing, I ended up loving it. It is quite "flowing" navigation on the maps and gives a sense of agility, when their use come to Central Tyria will be a good upgrade to travel.

And I ended up wondering "why not before?" traveling through Tyria is unnecessarily difficult on foot, the mobs of GW2 have large detection area etc.

I am completely ok with mounts if they are blocked on cities. The "carnival" factor is already big in the game. Where the zergs do not look like legions of soldiers, but a Brazilian carnival parade. If freed mounts in the cities, the cities will look like a

full of alegoric cars.

^^ Agree with this. In cities mounts would be very "carnival" like.

@lorddarkflare.9186 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:I like the way the mounts look. I have problems with the way camera moves when riding them (getting motion sickness after riding for a while. At least in this case it's mild, but still it's not something i find fun). I dislike them being required (especially when coupled with the previous point). I absolutely hate the fact that mounts may be used as an excuse to reduce the number of waypoints - i vastly prefer waypointing and consider using mounts a downgrade.

Gliding and masteries are already being used to reduce the number of waypoints.

All the LWS3 maps were a dry run. I think they work rather well, though it remains to be seen how well mounts work in comparison.

Oh, i agree. Both HoT and LS3 maps are also suffering from the same problem - making the maps annoying to move on, and then introducing masteries to get around it. Didn't like it then, won't like it in the future.

You can say that i generally don't like the design where masteries are introduced to solve problems that wouldn't exist if not for those very masteries.

I wasn't really big on the idea of mounts, but I'd like to try them all now that we've gotten a taste of the raptor. I appreciate how it handled and was not how a lot of other unnamed MMO's do it, where they turn on a dime. I hope to see a few more race tracks, it's no rollerbeetle racing but it's still entertaining.

I'm okay with them, I just hope if they disable them around certain high population areas where vendors might be. It could get pretty annoying trying to find a specific vendor in a sea of giant raptor butts as a map full of people sit on top of them.

I get that you can press F to just randomly talk to whoever is closest, but still. Some Npcs can be a bit difficult to see/find with so many people on them, let alone people on mounts.

I dislike mounts. To meet halfway with people who like mounts/Arenanet launching it, i watched 10+ hours of mount video's. I did not get used to them. It stayed the same, and for raptor (i hate it's tail sweep) made it worse for me.

What bothers me, is that apart from elona, and a bit plot twist in story expansion litteraly offers nothing (sure the mandatory elite spec, but HoT was much more exciting, atm only 3 elites are worthy imo, rest is not). So mounts (wich should just be a day-to-day addition), is not 'the expansion' as a whole. That's very dissapointing, even more so because I dislike them. If mounts would keep their speed normal (swiftness) or people get mastery to move 200%, i wouldn't mind. But as an above poster said, with this speed increase (and removing waypoints), it's forced apon us.

and looking at the raven glider, i have no good faith in the 'not' obtrusive nature of mounts (they already are obtrustive). They already will kill the immersion in towns, and small cliffs (where a mount should never be able to walk, but some ppl will do it).

Springer will kill tyria as it is also. That pet will kill any fun in exploring those maps. Sure for lazy people it's speed increase. But why do we get raids/fractals CM non stop on our place? "Challenging content keeps the game for me alive". While tyria never is truly super challenging, it will make the last fun out of it, to a complete disaster, without feel of having truly explored anything.

Ps before you thumbs down: if you like mounts, be happy you do! PoF is paradise for you. Swim in it, and refrain from thumbs downing cause you disagree. You should not care about this post so much to thumb it down lol.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I would prefer if they made the only mount available outside of PoF a horse.

As for horses, I soooo hope they will add them at some point, even if only through the Gem Store. A trusty, elegant stead would look good in Kryta and Ascalon. <3

I just want my uber-tiger:[

]

It's not going to change anything they are going to be in the game already however I find mounts completely useless. I know it's not a great opinion but to me they offer nothing new and only serve to be the current expansion method of moving around. I do understand people really want them but when they are the same thing as zephyrite, waypoints the core game uses and mastery, gliding which heart of thorns uses I hate to think what the next expansion will have to add so people can move around the new maps there.

It also hurts weapons, skills and traits which give speed boost to help move around as they will be more less useless if you can simply ride a mount. Waypoints however will still be around because it will be still quicker to waypoint than travel halfway across the map. I hate to say it but the ones which complain waypoints isn't adding immersion to the game it adds the same amount a mount would it's apart of the lore of the game.

I still welcome them and do plan on using them however I just wished they had something more then a re-skin of zephyrite powers.

I've argued against the inclusion of mounts (rudely and snobbishly at times retrospectively) because I saw that there was no need for mounts. The frequency of waypoints and how the game was designed without them were enough for me to make that claim.

I've done a complete 180 and am entirely sold on mounts, especially since the preview weekend. I do, however, understand and support every argument that states mounts should not have been core to the enjoyment of the expansion. Despite that, I absolutely adore them and cannot wait to own them all and any that may come in the future.

The game devs have noted the motion sickness while riding. On one of their Guild Chat mentioned that they have added some options available to help reduce such occurrences with the userbase. You will still need to tweak them for your own personal tastes, however, due to the subjective nature of Motion Sickness.

@Ashabhi.1365 said:My only real concern with mounts (since we're getting them whether we want them or not) is that at some point they will cease to be "organic" and begin to look like stuffed animals, Pikachu, or pink mini coopers. If they keep with things you can more or less find in the GW2 world, then fine.

I have to second your last sentiment and I think they will. I say this because Raptors have been in the game since GWEN at least (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Raptor).The rabbit thingy makes sense if you look at the pre-searing rabbit https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Rabbit and the jackalope (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jackalope). The Mist Wolf is pretty Nornish so maybe we will see Rocket boot golems and Charr rollers some day. The Ray type mount is hard to place, there are at least a few floaty things in Tyria (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Wind_Rider) but I can't think of any that are Manta ray shaped off the top of my head.

I see people asking for horses and there is the Celestial Horse and the Kirin to solve that if we ever get back to Cantha. https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Stone_Scale_Kirin https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Celestial_Horse

I would hope we will see no mount zones in parts of towns and maybe near world bosses when the event is up but the towns are a must, as there is no combat to keep one from mounting up there, especially near high traffic areas like banks. I also hope to see more races, speed only would be best, no offensive/defensive stuff, collision in a race mode would be nice though. I would love to race around the outside of DR so only certain places in towns should be no mount zones, a water course for the floater around Rata Sum would be cool too.

I hope they gives us the a 5th mount in living world season 4, that we train through the s4 story. As there's room for more moves.

For example, one that jump again in the air and glide a tiny by spending endurance. Like a griffin.

It would not be able to reach as far as a raptor. It would be able to reach as high as a springer. It would not be able to fall slowly for as long as a skimmer.It would not be able to quickly reach side ledges like the jackal, because it would have a turn time and slowly fall.But since it can flap its wings again in the air, it would be able to reach a spot that is up ahead but not to far or too high, but out of the reach of the other mounts.A raptor would not jump under the ledge, a springer would start falling before getting over the ledge, the skimmer would have started falling too, the jackal would teleport but with no height increase, they'd fall to. But the griffin would jump in the air, flap again mid-air and reach that ledge.

Another possibility could be one that climbs special surfaces, like a sloth or a spider. You would mount and walk towards the surface, and the mount would automatilly grab the wall and climb, and you'd be able to walk on walls and ceilings riding it and reach locations otherwise completely unreachable.

I've always been a proponent of mounts. Not as something to make you go faster, which seems to be a big issue for people, but as something that you can use to collect and add identity to your character. I know there are characters I have who'll use each of them mounts, because it suits who thy are. It's one of the reasons I play MMOs. I also do the same with titles and minis. Another avenue to customize my character is always a good thing to me.

Aside from that, there are plenty of people in this game who feel they have to take certain build/trait combinations or use certain runes to gain swiftness uptime, or a speed boost. With mounts, you get a bit more freedom if that's a concern for you.