pretty cool looking homestad mansion made from scratch

I've seen some pretty cool creations and have a few ideas of my own. It's unfortunate I have to wait 3/4 of a year before I can implement them, because some of them involve decorations that won't be available until next year. It looks like festival decoration recipes won't be available until the respective festival has occurred, or we'll have to buy them in bulk from heart vendors (like the decorations we have now). I'm hoping it's the former because if it's the latter we'll have to wait until next year's Festival of the Four Winds before we have all available festival decorations, which is a few months after JW's last release. I understand why they did it but it's not fun to work with.

As it is the only thing I've built so far is a grave site for my deceased husband (that I'll undoubtedly upgrade as more decorations become available).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to wall off an area, but the one wall segment I built turned out to be a huge cubic block. I was hoping for something longer and higher than it was thick. What I got sucked, so I shelved the idea and will wait building anything until there is a preview. So, I'll probably be waiting forever.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I wanted to wall off an area, but the one wall segment I built turned out to be a huge cubic block. I was hoping for something longer and higher than it was thick. What I got sucked, so I shelved the idea and will wait building anything until there is a preview. So, I'll probably be waiting forever.

I preview decorations on the wiki. There are screenshots for all of them that include size references since they're placed in a guild hall environment. You can now also increase or reduce the size of decorations, in case you weren't aware yet.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 4:11 PM, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

I never liked "instanced" housing areas. If anything, the houses should be in the outside world for anyone to see but entering them puts you in an instance (to help with lag).

No game with a steady population can work like that without major conflicts of interest.  Open world housing works in games with niche population such as sandbox PvP MMOs. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

No game with a steady population can work like that without major conflicts of interest.  Open world housing works in games with niche population such as sandbox PvP MMOs. 

Actually, what Smart was saying is how ESO works.  Every house, besides fast travel to it, can be walked up to (or its gates can) from the open world, but entering makes you choose who's house you are joining, and the owner needs to have set permissions to allow you in.  You won't see how it's been customized until entering the instance.  I think New World also did/does it that way.

That's what I was advocating for in GW2 community feedback threads on housing ideas over the years.  It's awesome to be able to collect multiple homes, from hole in the wall inn rooms on up to sprawling estates, and decorate each to suit a different alt or group of alts.  And to be able to point at a building and say "I live there."

Edited by Donari.5237
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 9/20/2024 at 10:11 PM, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

I never liked "instanced" housing areas. If anything, the houses should be in the outside world for anyone to see but entering them puts you in an instance (to help with lag).

How would it work to have tens of thousands (if not hundredth of thousand) houses in the open world? The clutter would be insane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

Actually, what Smart was saying is how ESO works.  Every house, besides fast travel to it, can be walked up to (or its gates can) from the open world, but entering makes you choose who's house you are joining, and the owner needs to have set permissions to allow you in.  You won't see how it's been customized until entering the instance.  I think New World also did/does it that way.

But even in ESO usually you have only been able to see the structure from small buildings or Inn rooms from the outside.

Most of the oversized homes with big land areas can't be spotted from the overworld, with only a few exceptions.

And if you have to interact with a random gate in a oversized wall, a random ship or a random deadra portal, or if someone summons randomly a conjured door, so you can visit the homestead, I personly don't care.

But yes, if we could get some more homesteads over the years, this would be nice. And I still hope for a leaderport like in swtor, where you can voluntarily register your homestead, so other players can see and visit them.

• Like 2

Those all look like Minecraft 2.0 rather than realistic locations. 😂

Edit, to clarify the above: I still find those results very creative, no doubt, but they nonetheless look unrealistic to me. I am more of a traditional type in that regard, thus fantasy constructions that no one would ever live in are not for me. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 2