Reason not to use 25% movement speed runes?

DarkK.7368

I tried to remove them so I can make room for more offensive runes (like eagle), but... the damage difference was no noticeable. 25% mov speed effect sounds too broken (overworld exploration, also wvw and pvp movement, specially out of combat to get to points), so I see no reason to not to use them, unless my build already has that buff from elsewhere. But sacrificing an existing build to add the +25% mov elsewhere so I have room for other runes seems not worth. Am I missing something?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Movement speed has some quirks that you probably want to make yourself aware of.  For instance, it doesn't stack.  So, if you have the swiftness boon your 25% boost is useless.  Here's a detailed explanation of how it works: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Movement_Speed 

Also, when it comes to runes that use damage stats, if it isn't a noticeable difference it's probably because you've made other choices that sacrifice damage.  To give a simplified example, if you add +15% crit damage to a power build that already deals 30k DPS the value of that ferocity stat is going to much greater than if you add it to a build that deals 10k DPS.

It's also worth considering that you'll probably be mounted when out of combat anyway and the 25% boost only applies to your unmounted speed.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Movement speed has some quirks that you probably want to make yourself aware of.  For instance, it doesn't stack.  So, if you have the swiftness boon your 25% boost is useless.  Here's a detailed explanation of how it works: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Movement_Speed 

Also, when it comes to runes that use damage stats, if it isn't a noticeable difference it's probably because you've made other choices that sacrifice damage.  To give a simplified example, if you add +15% crit damage to a power build that already deals 30k DPS the value of that ferocity stat is going to much greater than if you add it to a build that deals 10k DPS.

It's also worth considering that you'll probably be mounted when out of combat anyway and the 25% boost only applies to your unmounted speed.

Every one who can't give themselves swiftness will love the added mobility though.

• Like 1

Speed outweighs everything else.

In wvw I used the relic of speed on my herold and ran faster than the commander ;D
Helped to catch up since I sometimes am a slacker chasing bags. Was before renegade meta.
But it needs swiftness to trigger.

I use the wayfinder relic on my pve chars that have no other way (trait/passive skill) https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Relic_of_the_Wayfinder
Can be unlocked for free in the SotO reward track (pvp/wvw).
Works always.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

I always want the speed, by rune or trait. Damage is wildly available and less interesting.

Except nothing comes for free, so if you're giving up damage for speed it would be good to know what you're actually trading.  In the case of 25% speed boost runes, you're giving up a significant amount of stats for a speed boost that may do nothing for you as many builds get 33% speed boost via swiftness for free.

• Confused 1

Every instance where I'm not on a mount feels sluggish without movement speed. Having them bake the speed into traits is better, but also limits options. Movement speed really doesn't amount to anything in combat anyways unless you have superspeed. In which the Wayfinder Relic has been amazing to use in some new events that keep you dismounted and in combat.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Speed outweighs everything else.

In wvw I used the relic of speed on my herold and ran faster than the commander ;D

Why do you not just use Rising Momentum? Herald is probably one of the worst classes to use this relic on. I don't think either of the other traits on this column are particularly worth losing out on a better relic in most builds.

• Like 2

The relic is probably a better choice, stat wise.  I never use them, though, because of how rare it is that I am neither mounted, possess swiftness, or have an innate speed boost of some kind already.  As part of the ever growing power creep, swiftness is now given out like Halloween candy for most professions.  

• Like 1

Totally fine to use a movespeed runeset or relic in open world, story or even WvW if you don't care too much about your output. I too love the wayfinder relic for a more fun open world experience.

Though I wouldn't recommend to keep using them when you go into instanced group content where your output and contribution to the party matters. The selfish movement speed is wasted there and you gain nothing by moving faster than others, and you often have perma swiftness from group boons anyways. For entry level content like low fractals or the easy strike missions it won't matter much. But as you go to higher difficulty content (high fractals, raids, harder strikes, cms) it becomes more important to run a fully fleshed out build with good output so you can pull your weight without holding others back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

But as you go to higher difficulty content (high fractals, raids, harder strikes, cms) it becomes more important to run a fully fleshed out build with good output so you can pull your weight without holding others back.

That's because fractal has a +25% speed potion and for the rest the healer is supposed to provide the swiftness (unless it's a bad class like Scourge)

21 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

You got some nice relics now that enhance movement speed. And you lose ~5% dmg there. For general OW messing around movement is important for me even with mounts. Especially on melee builds. 

This is more a general comment than directed specifically at you, so apologies if you already know this.  I just wanted to point out that just like with dropping rune stats, the impact is greater on higher damage builds.  I think this accounts somewhat for the difference in outlook.  For example, the OP didn't notice a difference between using damage runes and speed runes, but a pure DPS build would absolutely notice that difference.

Similar logic applies to %damage boosts like the relic of the thief.  It's only 5% damage, right? Except that 5% is also boosting all of your other %damage modifiers (e.g. 5% + 10% is not 15%, it's 1.05x1.1 = 15.5%, so that the more %damage you add the more each % increase is worth).  This is why it matters a lot more for DPS builds and almost doesn't matter at all for low damage builds.  Not only is the base number you're boosting lower, but you have fewer % damage modifiers that apply to it. 

So, for example, my 30k DPS Untamed build with a slew of %damage boosts probably loses over 11% DPS from dropping a 5% damage boost like Sigil of Force, which would be more than 3k DPS, while a 10k DPS build with no other damage boosts loses 500 DPS.  Of course I'm going to notice!  I'm losing almost 7x as much damage from that choice!

3 hours ago, Liewec.2896 said:

reason not to use speed runes?

because celestial is love, celestial is life! 🙆‍♂️

if i remember correctly, rune of the traveler is a celestial stat +25% speed rune? also to op, make sure that you only have one source of movement speed, since they don't stack,. and never bring movement speed to group content as swiftness will be provided for you.

if your class can maintain a 24/7 swiftness uptime than the relic of speed is far superior to movement speed runes!

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Core Value was meta. The true nature buff trait. Better for team play. Rising Momentum was an alternative. Both were valid choices. With the speed relic I chose the group buff improvement. Liked it better too. The speed relic is also less dependant on high upkeep.

Hmmm. Herald can also have  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Facet_of_Elements running all of the time when out of combat so it is fairly easy to have perma swiftness. 

But whatever works for you, I love the way GW2 gives so many build options.

On 9/25/2024 at 12:10 AM, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Hmmm. Herald can also have  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Facet_of_Elements running all of the time when out of combat so it is fairly easy to have perma swiftness.

Combat is what matters to me. Out of combat is nice but there are mounts for that.
Also that meta was before the last meta or even before that, dunno anymore. Moot to discuss outdated metas.
(I didn't build the build, I copypasted from metabattle.)

• Confused 1

On 9/24/2024 at 7:14 AM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

if i remember correctly, rune of the traveler is a celestial stat +25% speed rune? also to op, make sure that you only have one source of movement speed, since they don't stack,. and never bring movement speed to group content as swiftness will be provided for you.

if your class can maintain a 24/7 swiftness uptime than the relic of speed is far superior to movement speed runes!

Depending on if talking about open world, sigil of speed is cheap and you can stack swiftness up to 60sec.  Only downside is not having a different sigil, but it is really great for open world swiftness + relic of speed

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Combat is what matters to me. Out of combat is nice but there are mounts for that.
Also that meta was before the last meta or even before that, dunno anymore. Moot to discuss outdated metas.
(I didn't build the build, I copypasted from metabattle.)

But do you really need max dps rotation in open world?   What are you having to solo constantly that survives long enough for that?  If the answer is world bosses, you need to learn to share with the rest of the map  

Plus being able to tear through trash mobs without having to chase them down makes combat more efficient. Not every build has easy access to teleports. 

Plus the price of the things I want to craft are too kitten high.  When I was a sprout I had to walk 15 miles to the crafting station. in the snow. uphill.  both ways. and we had to share the snow with the whole family. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1