What if you could mix and match ultimate skills regardless of elite specialization?

Ghost.5637

So that once you max out an elite specialization, you could use that elite utility skill with the core build or a different elite. Like Impact strike with deadeye or dragons maw with core guardian.I do not mean mixing weapons or any passive traits, only the last skill slot.

I think it would be cool and increase build diversity in intersting ways

Edit: clarity

Impossible, you can't have two death shroud mechanics, two steal mechanics, two burst mechanics, two sets of virtues, beast mode and celestial Avatar on the same button. It might work for Weaver + Tempest, Chrono + Mirage, Scrapper + Holo, Herald + Renegade, but it comes with a million new balance problems to fix which I would not enjoy.

@Chaith.8256 said:Impossible, you can't have two death shroud mechanics, two steal mechanics, two burst mechanics, two sets of virtues, beast mode and celestial Avatar on the same button. It might work for Weaver + Tempest, Chrono + Mirage, Scrapper + Holo, Herald + Renegade, but it comes with a million new balance problems to fix which I would not enjoy.

Not what I meant. I meant the final utility slot elite. such as using the laser cannon with scrapper or dragon's maw with core guardian. I looked through all of them and none have any effects that really rely on a specialization mechanic, so I think it could work. Edited main post to reflect this.

@CreedOfGod.9764 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:Impossible, you can't have two death shroud mechanics, two steal mechanics, two burst mechanics, two sets of virtues, beast mode and celestial Avatar on the same button. It might work for Weaver + Tempest, Chrono + Mirage, Scrapper + Holo, Herald + Renegade, but it comes with a million new balance problems to fix which I would not enjoy.

I looked through all of them and none have any effects that really rely on a specialization mechanic, so I think it could work. Edited main post to reflect this.

Prime Beam from Holo works differently according to heat level and heat doesn't exist outside Holo so that's not true, it's also an Exceed and those don't exist outside the elite spec/they get unlocked having Holo equipped. Punishment skills for necro don't exist outside scourge, mirage is the same. Basically skill categories that didn't exist at all before they were introduced on any class.

Seems you skimmed through stuff.

@Lunateric.3708 said:

Prime Beam from Holo works differently according to heat level and heat doesn't exist outside Holo so that's not true, it's also an Exceed and those don't exist outside the elite spec/they get unlocked having Holo equipped. Punishment skills for necro don't exist outside scourge, mirage is the same. Basically skill categories that didn't exist at all before they were introduced on any class.

Yes it does behave differently at a higher heat level, but when equipped without holosmith it would just preform without any heat bonus. a CD of 60 seconds make it so heat buildup is not relevant outside of actually equipping holosmith. None of them require a class mechanic to function.

And I know certain utility categories are not available unless the elite is equipped. That is why I suggest you must have fully unlocked each elite specialization before being able to mix the ultimate skills.

@Lahmia.2193 said:I'd love to use Greatsword on my scourge. Yes pls.

I only meant the last utility skill slot. No weapons or multiple elite trait lines.

@CreedOfGod.9764 said:

Yes it does behave differently at a higher heat level, but when equipped without holosmith it would just preform without any heat bonus. a CD of 60 seconds make it so heat buildup is not relevant outside of actually equipping holosmith. None of them require a class mechanic to function.

And I know certain utility categories are not available unless the elite is equipped. That is why I suggest you must have fully unlocked each elite specialization before being able to mix the ultimate skills.

@Lahmia.2193 said:I'd love to use Greatsword on my scourge. Yes pls.

I only meant the last utility skill slot. No weapons or multiple elite trait lines.

Meh. I'd prefer if they unbound the utilities and weapons from each elite spec.

@CreedOfGod.9764 said:

That is when balancing becomes more of an issue ;)

Ok maybe just weapons then? To me it comes down to wanting to use certain weapons like sword on ele, greatsword on necro and rifle of thief without having to use the respective elite specializations, either because I don't like the spec (weaver), I like the weapon but prefer the alternate spec (greatsword with reaper and scourge/rifle with deadeye and daredevil).Also I hate the idea that, no matter what weapons they bring out in the future, said weapons will only be available to the new specs.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Besides conflicting elites and designes, itvwould be ridiculously overpowered and would require nothing short of a complete redesign and rework of every single traitline, skill, weapon, utility and class mechanic.

I'm not seeing it.

True, but I'd still love it if you could use gravity well in a condi mirage build.

@Wandering Mist.2973 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Besides conflicting elites and designes, itvwould be ridiculously overpowered and would require nothing short of a complete redesign and rework of every single traitline, skill, weapon, utility and class mechanic.

I'm not seeing it.

True, but I'd still love it if you could use gravity well in a condi mirage build.

Oh interaction wise it would open up tons of interesting and fun (even beyond broken) interactions.

The feat of keeping the game balanced would become impossible though. :'(

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I'm not seeing it.

Oh interaction wise it would open up tons of interesting and fun (even beyond broken) interactions.

The feat of keeping the game balanced would become impossible though. :'(

Well at this point the game is so imbalanced they might as well go the whole way. Or just use the dota2 philosophy where if everything is OP, none of it is.

@Lahmia.2193 said:

That is when balancing becomes more of an issue ;)

Ok maybe just weapons then? To me it comes down to wanting to use certain weapons like sword on ele, greatsword on necro and rifle of thief without having to use the respective elite specializations, either because I don't like the spec (weaver), I like the weapon but prefer the alternate spec (greatsword with reaper and scourge/rifle with deadeye and daredevil).Also I hate the idea that, no matter what weapons they bring out in the future, said weapons will only be available to the new specs.

In most cases though, the weapon is an inherent part of the spec. They build the spec around the weapon, the new skills, whatever new class mechanic they have, and the traitline that ties it all together. Most of the weapons only make sense in light of the elite spec they are an integral part of. Like greatsword outside of reaper makes no sense. (tbh, a lot of the weapons make no sense to me like mesmer with a greatsword, but whatever...)

In any case, it would completely hose the professions if the weapons were untied. Balance would be thrown completely out of the window, and the elite specs would lose some of their cohesion. Not to mention the weapons would need changes to work with the other elites and the base profession. Whatever you liked about the weapon would like disappear in the process of balancing it to not break something in the game.

Archived