Reddit vs Forum

intox.6347

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Leo G.4501 said:As for the devs posting on Reddit, it's simple. More people read Reddit and the way Reddit can be formatted, it's easier to make posts and respond to replies.The point is that the game has an official forum (this is it). The latest posts by Anet staff even scroll across the front page (easy to find).If this is the official game forum (which it says so on the first page of the forums) and a forum is where discussions about a subject/game take place, WHY do they only respond to reddit posts or respond to forum posts ONLY on reddit?

Do they ONLY respond to Reddit?

This is the problem. I don't want to join reddit. I don't want to have to create additional online accounts to talk about GW2. Since the game has an official game forum, I am not asking too much to have Anet use it to have discussions with us.

Sounds like a personal problem.

It’s true that ANet doesn’t only respond to Reddit. But I’ll tell you about the incident that chapped my buns.

Some time back there was a problem with events and Legendaries where if you encountered this problem it would stall your progress. Over a period of time (a month or two) there were several threads and posts on the forum discussing this problem. People were begging ANet to respond, but no official response was given. It was while I was casually reading Reddit one day that I saw an dev answer over there. I remembered all those threads and posts on the official forum begging for help and a response and thought, “they couldn’t be bothered to post that answer on one of the threads here”? “They couldn’t be bothered to just cross post on one of the threads here”?

They keep on saying how valuable our input is and how they read the official forum posts, but if they can’t even cross post an answer to threads here where people are begging for a response on multiple threads and posts over a month or two, then those words sound pretty hollow.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"notebene.3190" said:It would be handy if there were like a Reddit Dev Tracker in this forum. I'm not super familiar with Reddit, do they have any sort of view like that over there?

Sort of. You can see the threads and can click on them to see what was posted

Why ANet doesn’t have a thread with a cross reference of posts from (Reddit/Twitter/wherever) to this forum is one of those little mysteries.

That's pretty good, thanks.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Leo G.4501 said:As for the devs posting on Reddit, it's simple. More people read Reddit and the way Reddit can be formatted, it's easier to make posts and respond to replies.The point is that the game has an official forum (this is it). The latest posts by Anet staff even scroll across the front page (easy to find).If this is the official game forum (which it says so on the first page of the forums) and a forum is where discussions about a subject/game take place, WHY do they only respond to reddit posts or respond to forum posts ONLY on reddit?

This is the problem. I don't want to join reddit. I don't want to have to create additional online accounts to talk about GW2. Since the game has an official game forum, I am not asking too much to have Anet use it to have discussions with us.

It’s true that ANet doesn’t only respond to Reddit. But I’ll tell you about the incident that chapped my buns.

Some time back there was a problem with events and Legendaries where if you encountered this problem it would stall your progress. Over a period of time (a month or two) there were several threads and posts on the forum discussing this problem. People were begging ANet to respond, but no official response was given. It was while I was casually reading Reddit one day that I saw an dev answer over there. I remembered all those threads and posts on the official forum begging for help and a response and thought, “they couldn’t be bothered to post that answer on one of the threads here”? “They couldn’t be bothered to just
cross post
on one of the threads here”?

They keep on saying how valuable our input is and how they read the official forum posts, but if they can’t even cross post an answer to threads here where people are begging for a response on multiple threads and posts over a month or two, then those words sound pretty hollow.

Here's the problem...people think they'r entitled to an answer for every single question posted, well I have news for you cupcake...you're not entitled to an answer. No one is entitled to an answer and as the other person posted about this forum, even though it says this is they official forum for the game...no where does it say that it's the official forum for discussion of the game from the devs...that little tidbit actually refers to discussion about the game between players. The Official Forums give players a place to discuss the game amongst themselves as well as to post suggestions and bugs to Anet...that they can read at their leisure...the devs jobs are to develop content for the game, not respond to posts or questions on the forums, that's what you have a communications department for.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

Some time back there was a problem with events and Legendaries where if you encountered this problem it would stall your progress. Over a period of time (a month or two) there were several threads and posts on the forum discussing this problem. People were begging ANet to respond, but no official response was given. It was while I was casually reading Reddit one day that I saw an dev answer over there. I remembered all those threads and posts on the official forum begging for help and a response and thought, “they couldn’t be bothered to post that answer on one of the threads here”? “They couldn’t be bothered to just
cross post

Here's the problem...people think they'r entitled to an answer for every single question posted, well I have news for you cupcake...you're not entitled to an answer. No one is entitled to an answer and as the other person posted about this forum, even though it says this is they official forum for the game...no where does it say that it's the official forum for discussion of the game from the devs...that little tidbit actually refers to discussion about the game between players. The Official Forums give players a place to discuss the game amongst themselves as well as to post suggestions and bugs to Anet...that they can read at their leisure...the devs jobs are to develop content for the game, not respond to posts or questions on the forums, that's what you have a communications department for.

No, they’re not entitled to an answer to every single question. But this was a problem that halted Legendary crafting for numerous people for about 2 months or more. If the Devs can take the time to answer about a problem of that magnitude on Reddit then they can take the time to cross post on the official forum. After all, they say they read the forums so they read those posts begging for help. Taking a few seconds of their day to post the same answer so it can be on the Dev posts and found for all those who were asking on this forum is not too much to ask.

@intox.6347 said:So it was now 5th time when didnt get answer on official forum from staff, but on reddit.Last time it was in obstructed shades on scourge, it was biggest topic, 40 days without answer, then it was answered on reddit by anet_irenio, but still no response on OFFICIAL FORUM.

So why is this happening ? Why they dont solve things on official forum rather then reddit. Its shame for arenanet that they abbandon their own information portal.

I've found this very annoying since I started reading the forums. It's also annoying that they require outside sites like Instagram to host photos. I never had a Instagram account before that PoF screen shot contest. It was annoying that I had to create one just for that contest. We shouldn't have go many different places just to deal with communicating with ANet and other players. They should focus everything on their site. They should only use external sites as a backup for when their site is down and advertising.

I really think they've blown it with the forum. I preferred the original forum. An upgrade of the forum should have been to open up web integration with the game. Things like allowing players to do different functions of the game over the web like S/R game mail, crafting, banking, TP, etc.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

cross post

Welcome to the Guild Wars 2 Official Forums! We hope you enjoy these new forums, with their enhanced functionality and expanded features. Please join us to relay your experiences, ask and answer questions, share your creations, and support other players! You may post any forum bugs you encounter in this thread and read about the moderation system here.

It doesn't say ask questions only of other players, and telling us to join them in discussions here implies they will do that "here". Yes, people are constantly bombarding other players and staff alike with "questions" that don't deserve or need an answer. There have been issues that DO require some sort of company response though, and for a lot of those it was just a reply on reddit with nothing here. For 2 decades of gaming, that response to important player questions has come from a company official on the "official game forums", not a random other player quoting a company official on a third party site. I don't care if they answer every question or if they do it on reddit, but I do not understand why they do not post those replies on their "own" official forum.

You act like Anet is the only one who responds on Reddit. Blizzard, NCSoft, Nexon, Riot, Activision, and many other giant companies use Reddit as a form of communication (in addition to their own forums) because they're giant communities who have an extremely broad reach (much more so than this forum) in an easily accessible format.

They don't post patch notes there, the majority of giant class changes or discussions are forum-exclusive, and most of the replies are from Ben alone (bless Ben, you're the best dev <3)

The reddit format makes things easy to see at a glance, and as one of the (if not the?) largest active communities on the web, it would make no sense for them to ignore it.

But, sure. Complain about more dev transparency because of where they choose to post it.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

cross post

Welcome to the Guild Wars 2 Official Forums! We hope you enjoy these new forums, with their enhanced functionality and expanded features. Please
join us
to relay your experiences,
ask and answer questions
, share your creations, and support other players! You may post any forum bugs you encounter in this thread and read about the moderation system here.

It doesn't say ask questions
only
of other players, and telling us to join them in discussions here implies they will do that "here".. Yes, people are constantly bombarding other players and staff alike with "questions" that don't deserve or need an answer. There have been issues that DO require some sort of company response though, and for a lot of those it was just a reply on reddit with nothing here. For 2 decades of gaming, that response to important player questions has come from a company official on the "official game forums", not a random other player quoting a company official on a third party site. I don't care if they answer every question or if they do it on reddit, but I do not understand why they do not post those replies on their "own" official forum.

I could make an in depth reply but I hate posting from a phone so I'll just sum it up:

Thems the breaks.

At the end of the day, it is a perceived etiquette problem with perceived personal deconstructive repercussions. The thing about perceptions is everyone has one and they are often different. The solution that you would consider positive would either require policing an innocent entity's privilege to post how and when they want granted to them by their employer or have someone else invest extra effort to inform you because you can't be inconvenienced to inform yourself.

I think the question here is not whether is Reddit or GW2 official forum a better place to seek answers from Anet but rather WHY Anet admin/forum staff chose to reply in Reddit when their own OFFICIAL GW2 FORUM has many topics created by their anxious players seeking for a simple reply but gets none?

One example is the most recent login problem after the patch. I wondered why too.

If the argument is a matter of their choices to reply where they wanted to, that is invalid. We are talking about technical issues here and not just any queries, like ' when is Wintersday is going to end? '

@Ubi.4136 said:

@"Lunateric.3708" said:They are active in both places, just like users can be, you wanting them to be exclusive to X platform isn't really a good idea. I prefer reddit too since you can filter out irrelevant/troll comments almost instantly.

We're not asking for them to be "exclusive" to this platform. However, if a response is to be posted on only ONE platform, it should be the official forums.

Here is the opening sentence on the forums:
Welcome to the Guild Wars 2 Official Forums!
Here is the definition of a forum:
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

I don't understand why people don't get that I, and others, don't want to HAVE to go to ANOTHER website to get answers about game-related questions.Player asks a question on the official game forum. Months go by. Someone at Anet finally responds
only
on reddit.

That is a problem whether people want to admit it or not.

It's a problem to you. It isn't a problem to me or to the 160k+ Reddit subscribers the game's sub has. The fact they answer topics at all isn't something I give for granted having seen how other developers don't interact at all with their communities. If they want to do it here or in Reddit (fortunately in both places) is their choice.

I seem to recall last week there was a huge login problem. Not a single word here on the forum from the devs nor did they responded to the thread but they did speak up on Reddit about it. What's the point of having an Official forum if you're not going to use it for the very purpose it was created for? As it is, it simply looks to me like the change from the old forum to his one was like changing four quarters for a dollar...

@Mil.3562 said:I think the question here is not whether is Reddit or GW2 official forum a better place to seek answers from Anet but rather WHY Anet admin/forum staff chose to reply in Reddit when their own OFFICIAL GW2 FORUM has many topics created by their anxious players seeking for a simple reply but gets none?

One example is the most recent login problem after the patch. I wondered why too.

If the argument is a matter of their choices to reply where they wanted to, that is invalid. We are talking about technical issues here and not just any queries, like ' when is Wintersday is going to end? '

A question for you with regards to your question:

How would you respond if certain devs simply answered you by saying they just prefer posting on Reddit? Or that they browse other interests on Reddit?

@Vayne.8563 said:For the umpteenth time, devs are not required to answer your posts on their work time. They browse the web on their spare time. They're entitled to browse anywhere they like or anywhere they feel comfortable. Your options would be something like this:

A. Forbid devs from posting anyone but on the official forum.B. Forbid devs from posting at all.C. Make posting on the forums part of their job, which it's not.

None of those options are really good.

If I were a dev, I wouldn't want to post on the official forums anyway, because they're far more hostile territory. Why would I open myself up to that kind of abuse. Ridiculous posts on reddit tend to get downvoted and disappear. I prefer it for that reason myself.

And if I were a dev, posting on my own time,. this is the last place I'd be.

Actually, option C is not only a good one, it's the right thing to do.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Mil.3562 said:I think the question here is not whether is Reddit or GW2 official forum a better place to seek answers from Anet but rather WHY Anet admin/forum staff chose to reply in Reddit when their own OFFICIAL GW2 FORUM has many topics created by their anxious players seeking for a simple reply but gets none?

If the argument is a matter of their choices to reply where they wanted to, that is invalid. We are talking about
technical issues
here and not just any queries, like ' when is Wintersday is going to end? '

How would you respond if certain devs simply answered you by saying they just prefer posting on Reddit? Or that they browse other interests on Reddit?

Then they should abandon this forum completely, and shift to Reddit.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

If the argument is a matter of their choices to reply where they wanted to, that is invalid. We are talking about
technical issues

Are you talking about Anet abandoning this forum or those certain devs that answered?

@Leo G.4501 said:

technical issues

I'd instantly cease wasting any time on these forums, if the devs think they suck and not worth bothering with.. why should players use them?

@"Crinn.7864" said:reddit is a good place for fluff discussions. Reddit however is a terrible place for any kind of serious discussion.

If I went to reddit and said something like "the nerfs to Reaper shroud degeneration are justified" I'd get downvoted into oblivion. Reddit is only free speech for populist opinions.

Sadly, there's a lot of truth to this.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@"Mil.3562" said:I think the question here is not whether is Reddit or GW2 official forum a better place to seek answers from Anet but rather WHY Anet admin/forum staff chose to reply in Reddit when their own OFFICIAL GW2 FORUM has many topics created by their anxious players seeking for a simple reply but gets none?

technical issues

Are you talking about Anet abandoning this forum or those certain devs that answered?

If ANet refuses to respond on their own forums, then they should get rid of them and use Reddit instead.

In my opinion, of course. They obviously have different priorities, and they have to have a way to present a unified front. One misplaced "official" comment can generate a firestorm. But, again in my opinion, they are decidedly too quiet, especially here.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@"Mil.3562" said:I think the question here is not whether is Reddit or GW2 official forum a better place to seek answers from Anet but rather WHY Anet admin/forum staff chose to reply in Reddit when their own OFFICIAL GW2 FORUM has many topics created by their anxious players seeking for a simple reply but gets none?

technical issues

If ANet refuses to respond on their own forums, then they should get rid of them and use Reddit instead.

In my opinion, of course. They obviously have different priorities, and they have to have a way to present a unified front. One misplaced "official" comment can generate a firestorm. But, again in my opinion, they are decidedly too quiet, especially here.

So then you didn't consider what I asked, i.e. what if it's just some devs who prefer posting on reddit or don't like creating whole topics to issues that they resolve if it isn't included in specific update notes (because the devs that work on the actual bugs likely don't create the patch notes that are published) or even that some of their own forum rules forbid necroposting (or at least discourage it) and a question brought up several weeks ago or more that has been resolved likely won't be bothered to necro an old thread.

The question was, if some devs prefer to read and post on reddit, if that is a problem. Your answer is because of the personal preference of some devs, Anet should just abandon their forums because you are supremely inconvenienced by the preferences of some dev posters.

You don't see a problem with that logic?

Archived