Am I just really bad?

Thanks for all the responses guys. Just an update, I did a couple of fractals today and although I didn't change any of my utilities or traits, I did manage to survive a bit more than I did before. One of my biggest issues right now is knowing when it's safe to go into melee range and when it's better to dodge out and use my ranged attacks. Something I'll learn with more practice I'm sure.

@Torolan.5816 said:To be brutally honest you can make a low level fractal with 1 guy who knows how the fractals and his/her class works, 2 other average players who know how to comprehend simple orders, a swarm of herings in a fishtank and the telephone book of Tokyo at the controls if the need arises. A low level fractal should not be in need of a healer.

Keep in mind that a meta build is squishy most of the time. You can´t oneshot mobs like other meta clad players who have no idea how their equipment works. Despite common belief and the propaganda of the meta people, mobs are not squishy for the average Joe. The price you pay for being leet later is lying in the dirt now, sorry. ;)

Actually they are. If people know the actual hp/toughness value of most mobs they would feel even worse when they die. Average veteran hp is 24k at lv80.

Average unbuffed dps is around 8-9k. Theoretically assuming you know how to dps, it would take around 3.4-5 seconds to solo kill a veteran after factoring armor.

Let that sink in.

It has zero to do with know how equipment works, and everything to do with knowing how to optimize your damage. Most people can see a champ spawning and dont even precast. Do you know how much damage a good precast on certain classes can give you? It's the difference between doing 25k, and 35k dps on keep construct during burn phase. Sometimes its upwards to around 20-30% of your opening burst.

@FrostDraco.8306 said:

@Torolan.5816 said:To be brutally honest you can make a low level fractal with 1 guy who knows how the fractals and his/her class works, 2 other average players who know how to comprehend simple orders, a swarm of herings in a fishtank and the telephone book of Tokyo at the controls if the need arises. A low level fractal should not be in need of a healer.

Keep in mind that a meta build is squishy most of the time. You can´t oneshot mobs like other meta clad players who have no idea how their equipment works. Despite common belief and the propaganda of the meta people, mobs are not squishy for the average Joe. The price you pay for being leet later is lying in the dirt now, sorry. ;)

Actually they are. If people know the actual hp/toughness value of most mobs they would feel even worse when they die. Average veteran hp is 24k at lv80.

Average unbuffed dps is around 8-9k. Theoretically assuming you know how to dps, it would take around 3.4-5 seconds to solo kill a veteran after factoring armor.

Let that sink in.

It has zero to do with know how equipment works, and everything to do with knowing how to optimize your damage. Most people can see a champ spawning and dont even precast. Do you know how much damage a good precast on certain classes can give you? It's the difference between doing 25k, and 35k dps on keep construct during burn phase. Sometimes its upwards to around 20-30% of your opening burst.

This is something I am working on as well, particularly when it comes to breaking defiance bars. Being able to pre-cast your CC so it hits as soon as the bar becomes active is a huge deal. I'm still really bad at the timing of it but I'm getting better. One thing I will say about this game is that it is a lot easier to optimise your dps than in other mmorpgs simply because you can cast spells while moving. This simple mechanical change takes the need for things like stutter-stepping and GCD management completely out of the equation and makes it a lot easier to dodge incoming attacks while maintaining dps. It's a luxury I'm still getting used to after spending so long playing traditional hotkey-based combat where you are locked in place while casting a spell.

@FrostDraco.8306 said:

Let that sink in.

Many people enjoy the game without making it into scientific research :)

Archived