Blocking forum users.

VaaCrow.3076

@Haishao.6851 said:

@"Illurim.6059" said:It's a forum. People don't have the right to restrict the posts of others because they find them objectionable or "too much to deal with". They do, absolutely, have the right to pass them over and move to posts they find more interesting though. That's what adults do.

Obviously there have to be limits to certain behaviors. Would it be okay if I post 100 frivolous threads every day? No? How about 99? Still too many? How about 98? See where this is going? Let's skip a few numbers. How about 20? 19? 18? 12? Maybe you want to propose a number?

How about 5 that generate positive discussion vs one thread that is intended solely to request a blocking feature? It's not your decision to decide what is or isn't frivolous and acceptable on the forum. If the majority of forum users are responding just fine to it in a positive, constructive, and friendly way, just as they do to any playful or serious thread that's been made and currently on the board, then your complaint of the thread being frivolous is irrelevant.

I've not asked that they remove you from the forum, Just to be given a way to remove you from
my
view. i don't think that is too petty. Either way Gaile has responded and there may or may not in fact be a solution that satisfies both parties on the horizon.

And how are people supposed to have intelligent discussion if everyone just block each others?

Many of the posts I've seen on here on the forums are so far removed from an "intelligent discussion" that it baffles the mind. Blocking them would actually allow an intelligent discussion to happen.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Maat.3940 said:

@VaaCrow.3076 said:Is there a way i'm not seeing where you are able to block a certain forum user so you don't have to view their topics/comments? If not would you please implement one?

I'm rather fed up of the front page of the forum being dominated by one users threads, and would like a way to remove them. Thanks.

I think that if you guys ignore their posts then they will eventually go away. Take the attention away from them instead of feeding their behavior by creating yet another thread post about them. See where this is going wrong? Don't feed it and it will go away to eat someplace else.

One problem is that the author of the threads doesn't show up until the thread is open (at least for some forum-users). Though one can immediately close the thread, it does still count for increasing views.

Regardless, it looks like, at least, too many polls at one is a forum no-no if the number of polls on the front page, now, is any indication.

@"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:Many of the posts I've seen on here on the forums are so far removed from an "intelligent discussion" that it baffles the mind. Blocking them would actually allow an intelligent discussion to happen.

This.I wouldn't be asking to block productive discussion, even if it disagreed with my viewpoint. I believe in things like science and compromise.

It's when I stuff like "haha, you don't raid because you're bad and how the kitten can you even be playing this carebear cazzzual deadgaem" that benefits nobody and happens to go untouched. There are very few people I consider insightful who also happen to be jerks, and it'd be more productive for the forums if certain extreme elements blocked each other, because there's no way to resolve their eternal, salt-flinging. thread-closing conflicts anyway.

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

@"Illurim.6059" said:It's a forum. People don't have the right to restrict the posts of others because they find them objectionable or "too much to deal with". They do, absolutely, have the right to pass them over and move to posts they find more interesting though. That's what adults do.

Obviously there have to be limits to certain behaviors. Would it be okay if I post 100 frivolous threads every day? No? How about 99? Still too many? How about 98? See where this is going? Let's skip a few numbers. How about 20? 19? 18? 12? Maybe you want to propose a number?

How about 5 that generate positive discussion vs one thread that is intended solely to request a blocking feature? It's not your decision to decide what is or isn't frivolous and acceptable on the forum. If the majority of forum users are responding just fine to it in a positive, constructive, and friendly way, just as they do to any playful or serious thread that's been made and currently on the board, then your complaint of the thread being frivolous is irrelevant.

I've not asked that they remove you from the forum, Just to be given a way to remove you from
my
view. i don't think that is too petty. Either way Gaile has responded and there may or may not in fact be a solution that satisfies both parties on the horizon.

And how are people supposed to have intelligent discussion if everyone just block each others?

Many of the posts I've seen on here on the forums are so far removed from an "intelligent discussion" that it baffles the mind. Blocking them would actually allow an intelligent discussion to happen.

It wont do anything else than create echo chambers.It's not possible to have discussion, let alone an intelligent one, when people are blocking each others.

@Haishao.6851 said:

my

It wont do anything else than create echo chambers.It's not possible to have discussion, let alone an intelligent one, when people are blocking each others.

Echo chambers already happen on here without the ability to block. You can see it in posts where people are openly hostile to other people who have a differing viewpoint, in posts where the poster only cares about winning an argument, in posts that serve as nothing more than snark and sarcasm without offering anything constructive. They don't want a discussion and it shows in their post. Not only have they made up their mind on the matter and they aren't willing to have a discussion, they're determined to harass anyone who dares have a differing opinion.

When these posts occur there's no intelligent discussion to be had anymore. There's absolutely nothing to be gained.

@"Haishao.6851" said:

If the blocking system is implemented (and used) intelligently, that problem won't exist. One implementation I've seen that's really good has quoted posts by blocked users show up as (paraphrasing) "This is a quoted post by a blocked user ([name of user here]). Click to show."

If anything that might interest you is happening in such a discussion, you can usually tell by what the quoting poster responds to the quote you can't see. If that looks worthwhile, you click, read the blocked post, and intelligent conversation may proceed unhindered. It may even make you reconsider and unblock the poster.

• ArenaNet Staff

As I have said, in other threads and linked here, a blocking feature is not in the offing at this time. and I strongly doubt we'll be able to offer one in the future. Use your discretion and read what you choose, avoid what you desire, and all will be fine.

As for the forums as a whole, we set reasonable expectations, and we ask that forum members use prudence in all that they do. Consider this medium more a large group of people talking together than a mass of pigeonholed threads. Maybe it's a large party and we're talking in small groups throughout the house. Here on the forums, all is visible on the main index page, and on the individual subforum index pages, as well. With that in mind, it's best to have a lot of folks involved, and to make that readily apparent in a glance, as opposed to hosting an index page that visually points to a few people dominating the conversation. That is why we believe it's best to not have a plethora of posts or polls from any individual. That is why we set a standard that people not bump their own threads or (horrors!) use sock-puppets to do so.

Thanks for asking the question and giving me an opportunity to give a few details.

Archived