Pointless Items in Inventory

Mal.1670

How many of you remember the awful mess that was LW Season 3 episode 4's "Cin Business" achievement? Over a dozen items that you had to collect that served absolutely no purpose--you couldn't even sell them. They had some flavor text and that was it, you had to click and drag to destroy 17 or so items for no bloody reason. Who thought that was a good system?!

This was incredibly annoying to a lot of people, which made it awesome to see these pointless achievement items fixed in Path of Fire; everything that goes into your inventory that's related to an achievement is either labelled as junk and quickly sells for some coin, or you can double click it, usually to get a bit of karma or something like that. That is FANTASTIC. Quality of life is always appreciated.

So why the hell did the latest premier of Season 4 completely screw that up with the "That Belongs in a Museum" achievement items? The last story instance lets you collect a handful of items from Ancient Chests scattered about the map that spam your inventory with the same pointless items that you can't sell or double click for anything. Grinding is one thing, but forcing players to waste time deleting pointless items? There isn't even any flipping flavor text to look at for each item for crying out loud!!!

Dear ArenaNet, you guys did a great job with Path of Fire and its "collection" achievements not spamming players with pointless items that sit filling up your inventory until you notice them wasting space and have to drag them one by one out of your bag and confirm to delete because we weren't given any sensible way to interact with them. Please don't go back to doing this nonsense with Living World. We know you have the capacity to keep up the interface quality of life. Thank you <3

It's one of the things I have not quite fathomed behind the LW planning. The devs make great strides to improve the QoL of the game as a season progresses, but seems to undo that by creating brand new issues. The one you state is one such issue. The other was the fantastic key wallet feature, only to fill that space with separate books, rather than trying to put them all in one item or having a lore book feature installed in readiness.

It does often feel like like they are playing catch up sometimes with these things

@"Mal.1670" said:How many of you remember the awful mess that was LW Season 3 episode 4's "Cin Business" achievement? Over a dozen items that you had to collect that served absolutely no purpose--you couldn't even sell them. They had some flavor text and that was it, you had to click and drag to destroy 17 or so items for no bloody reason. Who thought that was a good system?!

This was incredibly annoying to a lot of people, which made it awesome to see these pointless achievement items fixed in Path of Fire; everything that goes into your inventory that's related to an achievement is either labelled as junk and quickly sells for some coin, or you can double click it, usually to get a bit of karma or something like that. That is FANTASTIC. Quality of life is always appreciated.

So why the hell did the latest premier of Season 4 completely screw that up with the "That Belongs in a Museum" achievement items? The last story instance lets you collect a handful of items from Ancient Chests scattered about the map that spam your inventory with the same pointless items that you can't sell or double click for anything. Grinding is one thing, but forcing players to waste time deleting pointless items? There isn't even any flipping flavor text to look at for each item for crying out loud!!!

Dear ArenaNet, you guys did a great job with Path of Fire and its "collection" achievements not spamming players with pointless items that sit filling up your inventory until you notice them wasting space and have to drag them one by one out of your bag and confirm to delete because we weren't given any sensible way to interact with them. Please don't go back to doing this nonsense with Living World. We know you have the capacity to keep up the interface quality of life. Thank you <3

Your statement about PoF items all being able to be double clicked for either karma or something else or labeled as junk to be sold for coin is false...and I can give you 5 examples right off the top of my head: these items from the Collection of Tribute Achievement; Cord of Tamarisk, Florid Bouquet, Imperial Cadastral Suite, Slab of Architectural Grade- Granite, and Bushel of Ancient Elon Grapes. None of those items can be sold or double clicked, they're not labeled as junk, instead they're Account Bound Trophy items. There are others too and I think your mind was just clouded over because there weren't a lot of these types of items, but they do exist in PoF, and I know, because I've kept them all in storage.

P.S.: Living World development teams and expansion development teams are separate entities, the people that worked on PoF have probably already moved onto expansion 3 already, if not having done so as soon as PoF was gold(with the exception of those that continue to work on bugs).

I still have some feathers or whatever from the Griffon quest that i'm afraid to delete because the game never states what's ok to delete and what's needed. So i'm not planning on getting a griffon any time soon but i'll have to lug those things around for a year because i have no idea what to do with them.

So no, PoF didn't do a good job with useless items, it made things worse.

Now i have useless items from HoT, PoF and LW4 in my inventory in addition to whatever useless items the game throws at you regularly but doesn't say what they're for or if it's safe to delete them.

@Veprovina.4876 said:I still have some feathers or whatever from the Griffon quest that i'm afraid to delete because the game never states what's ok to delete and what's needed. So i'm not planning on getting a griffon any time soon but i'll have to lug those things around for a year because i have no idea what to do with them.

Now i have useless items from HoT, PoF and LW4 in my inventory in addition to whatever useless items the game throws at you regularly but doesn't say what they're for or if it's safe to delete them.

The ones you double-click to show you how to find the Beastmaster? The griffon feathers and similar things are only a gizmo to show you where to start the quest. You can throw them away. When the secret mount was secret, these were the starter clues.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:I still have some feathers or whatever from the Griffon quest that i'm afraid to delete because the game never states what's ok to delete and what's needed. So i'm not planning on getting a griffon any time soon but i'll have to lug those things around for a year because i have no idea what to do with them.

The ones you double-click to show you how to find the Beastmaster? The griffon feathers and similar things are only a gizmo to show you where to start the quest. You can throw them away. When the secret mount was secret, these were the starter clues.

Yeah those. Don't i need them for the quest? I mean, i found that griffon roost and got the teleport thingy so i can go back there, but i wasn't sure about the beastmaster things. Thanks, that'll clear up some of my inventory.

Still, there's a lot of items in this game that don't exactly tell you it's safe to throw out.Quite the opposite sometimes. I had to wiki if it's safe to delete Vigil Maintnance oil, Vigil honing crystal and such because the game required me to put in their names in order to delete them since they're obtainable once per account.

It's not exactly explained well and the sole purpose of those items are to get you to buy bags from the gemstore.They could have just as easily coded most of those items into just achievements without the actual "item in your inventory" part.So since it's designed like that on purpose, i doubt they'll do anything about it.

But still... They gave us a keychain so never say never.Although, there's still a lot of "junk" items with uses that you have to lug around.It is what it is.

I always wiki anything I'm scared to throw out. It will USUALLY tell you if there's a use for it beyond just finishing a collection. (And if you are making a legendary, Master Hobbs will replace vital stuff you accidentally threw away, thank goodness!)

But then there's the occasional thing that you think must have some future use that has not yet been determined...like the Reforged Shadowstone, which was not part of a collection and appears to have no purpose whatsoever, after a considerable effort to obtain it.

@Veprovina.4876 said:I still have some feathers or whatever from the Griffon quest that i'm afraid to delete because the game never states what's ok to delete and what's needed. So i'm not planning on getting a griffon any time soon but i'll have to lug those things around for a year because i have no idea what to do with them.

You know you could sell them to NPCs, right?

you think PoF did it wrong, every single time they release something new they add a new currency you can't store, after so long i still have currency i can't use because i don't have enough to spend them. (and no way to get more)if they just stop adding more and more currency and reuse the ones we already have (which is almost more then IRL money) then it makes it easier for everyone, we don't even know if they are ever useful.

I do wish double-clicking a collection item would pull up its collection achievement and consume the item. That way I can see it in the achievement page but also see that it is gone from inventory.

There are some older items that were, for example, exotic rings, that are collection/forging items, too, that it would be nice to have special material slots for.

@ThomasC.1056 said:

@Aedil.1296 said:Just a suggestion: if you're scared to delete one of these items check wiki, usually at the bottom they say if it's safe to delete them.

Legendary elegy mosaic. Does it ring a bell ?

Yeah... I like to pour some acid on an open wound.

One problem...it never said it was safe to delete, so I don't understand why people deleted them...it didn't say anything, and I don't care what the wiki says, I go by what it says in the description of the item, if the item does not say safe to delete or sell, or useful only for a collection, then I keep it.

I think all of you saying that PoF didn't get it just right are being pedantic and missing the point. The point is that PoF introduced a new system that vastly improved upon the old, and it would be nice if that QoL improvement was carried over to LS4 and future management of collection items, which it wasn't. This is probably a result of poor in house communications between teams. The suggestion is that ANet improve upon that. It's a good suggestion.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Aedil.1296" said:Just a suggestion: if you're scared to delete one of these items check wiki, usually at the bottom they say if it's safe to delete them.

One problem...it never said it was safe to delete, so I don't understand why people deleted them...it didn't say anything, and I don't care what the wiki says, I go by what it says in the description of the item, if the item does not say safe to delete or sell, or useful only for a collection, then I keep it.

Well... Just think of the hundreads of worthless items that come from various tasks and collections, that can't be sold, salvaged or double-clicked, do you keep them all ? The wiki is not ANet's creation, but here's what it was stating about the distraught choya elegy mosaic for example. Usually, the wiki is reliable. I browsed that one. Maybe I should have browsed all of them ?

It's ok, it's only a couple of that currency, as far as I'm concerned. A matter of 1 or 2 legendary bounties. I should have known and guessed, eventhough there was no claim beforehand, no "it's a bug, we'll fix it, keep them" message. So should have the wiki, by the way.

I won't forget that lesson anytime soon though.

@ThomasC.1056 said:

@"Aedil.1296" said:Just a suggestion: if you're scared to delete one of these items check wiki, usually at the bottom they say if it's safe to delete them.

Well... Just think of the hundreads of worthless items that come from various tasks and collections, that can't be sold, salvaged or double-clicked, do you keep them all ? The wiki is not ANet's creation, but here's what it was stating about
for example. Usually, the wiki is reliable. I browsed that one. Maybe I should have browsed
all of them
?

It's ok, it's only a couple of that currency, as far as I'm concerned. A matter of 1 or 2 legendary bounties. I should have known and guessed, eventhough there was no claim beforehand, no "it's a bug, we'll fix it, keep them" message. So should have the wiki, by the way.

I won't forget that lesson anytime soon though.

Quite a few of the worthless items that come from various tasks and collections would open the collections tab and show you the status, at that point I was satisfied the item was no longer needed. The Intact Mosaics didn't have that 'junk' feel or appearance, even though they were for a collection and brought up the collections tab, besides, it depends on the item whether or not I keep it. It's appearance or look also has something to do with it, as does the fact the name was in Exotic format. I correlate the color of the description with the item type...you know, blue is mostly trash, green has some value, yellow is rare and orange is exotic...those mosaics where orange, therefore an exotic item, so I kept them.

Alright, let's give this another try. Very related to this topic are the collection items from The Collection of Tribute. Collect 10 items of each of the five maps to make five final items that literally state in their description: "This item has no value outside of a collection and may be sold to vendors." However, they cannot actually be sold to vendors. This is hopefully just an oversight, however even so, the fact that effort was specifically taken to include in the description functionality that was not actually implemented for said items has likely caused grief for a number of players, the overall nature of which in some circles might be lightheartedly referred to as "trolling" in a humorous manner.

Compared to the 50s junk collection items and the Sand-Worn Pages that give 1000 karma and some experience when double-clicked, these pointless items could be improved upon in multiple ways.

In other words, viva la purely junk collection items/"Double-click to consume".

@Napo.1230 said:Not to hijack but why are green/yellow sigils a thing.They're worth nothing.Do nothing.No ones build depends on them.

Please anet just delete them or make them salvageable.

They are still useful for lower-level players. I've been rummaging through them for stuff my new alt can use leveling up.But I would love to see a way to make rune and sigil clutter more useful/profitable, since it messes up your inventory space in high-loot-low-merchant areas..

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

@Napo.1230 said:Not to hijack but why are green/yellow sigils a thing.They're worth nothing.Do nothing.No ones build depends on them.

Please anet just delete them or make them salvageable.

They are still useful for lower-level players. I've been rummaging through them for stuff my new alt can use leveling up.But I would love to see a way to make rune and sigil clutter more useful/profitable, since it messes up your inventory space in high-loot-low-merchant areas..

Ok then I'm probably biased as I use tomes 100% of the time, perhaps keep them for pve but for the love of god stop them in wvw.Or just make them stack then you can select it's stats if you want them.My ocd just means I drag and drop them if there's no merchant ha

All those pointless items, their existance being a riddle....It's no riddle anymore. It is a game in the game. The Inventory Manager Simulator!And you even got it for free and don't have to pay for it. Isn't Anet kind to give you a game for free?Yea no seriously....exact that i allways sadistically think when my inventory is flooded again with items that have absolutely no purpose then just taking up space.

Archived