Weaver Weapon Choice PvE

Wentworth.6901

I just unlocked the weaver specialization on my main, and man do I love it. Very cool. I'm wondering however what weapon I should use with it. This is primarily for open world end game content, the personal story, and low level fractals. (I also run mostly berserkers, with some assassins and 1 or 2 soldiers accessories. I'm also flexible on specializations, though I'll probably stick to fire/air/arcane, as weaver seems to have enough survivability without water for pve.)

In the past I've used staff, sc/f, and d/d. I found staff kinda boring as you mostly just camp fire, but Sc/f fresh air was really fun, as was d/d. Any recommendations for what weapon I should use?

So far, I like sw/d as it feels pretty survivable with its evades, the earth/fire 3, and access to water fields and easy blast finishers. dps seemed alright too.

I'm not sure about sc/f, as I really liked fresh air and I'm not super confidant it would translate well.

d/d looks interesting, as it has access to 4 disables which could be really strong with air grandmaster 3. This would work well with the weakness weaver trait.

I'm also considering retrying staff, as the new dual skills seem to encourage switching attunements more often, which would fix my complaint about it.

So, other weaver players out there, which weapons do you like the most?

Staff is definitely a way to go, especially with power focused gear. Other weapons feel very weak compared to their performance with tempest elite spec.

You could, however, play with sword/dagger if you have condi gear. It's very fun, but not very effective with full power setup (most of your damage ends up being burning anyways, so no point of focusing on power only). However, I still think that ele's best melee option is just playing tempest with any weapon.

I could definitely vouch for sw/d condi or hybrid build.Get viper trinkets from LS3 and your choice of armor (I use carrion for the extra vit, makes me less squishy until I can get viper stats).This weapon set feels very "weaver", jumping between attunes and all over the place. The only issue I have with it is the lack of range, as some mobs and bosses are a pain to deal with in melee only.The highest dps should be from fire/earth traitlines, but I personally use fire/arcane for the utility and buffs. Earth offers some defense, but I found it gimping and much slower and clumsy to play without arcane.

I tried to switch to zerker power staff, as it is the "meta"... oh my god, it felt like I'm fighting handicapped. Enemies that get to you melt from the aoe and fields, but melt you just as fast. And you can't consistently do any damage to anything that moves (which means you can't reliably hit anything unless it is on top of you).It's probably my fault, as it is a meta weapon and build, but it also works better whe there are other people to keep your target static.

Hope it helps :)

@"Shoridan.2569" said:I tried to switch to zerker power staff, as it is the "meta"... oh my god, it felt like I'm fighting handicapped. Enemies that get to you melt from the aoe and fields, but melt you just as fast. And you can't consistently do any damage to anything that moves (which means you can't reliably hit anything unless it is on top of you).It's probably my fault, as it is a meta weapon and build, but it also works better whe there are other people to keep your target static.

It's kinda your fault indeed. Though it is understandable, it takes some time to get used to the staff and start using more of its potential. It does indeed work best in a group, but you can most often manage alone too. Don't waste your AOEs on mobs far away, unless you know you'll finish them off instantly. Engage them, close the gap and force them to stay inside the damage. Know when you can channel a longer spell and when you can't and adjust accordingly. Aside from elites and champs, you really can burst down everything before they can deal much damage to you.

@Feanor.2358 said:

@"Shoridan.2569" said:I tried to switch to zerker power staff, as it is the "meta"... oh my god, it felt like I'm fighting handicapped. Enemies that get to you melt from the aoe and fields, but melt you just as fast. And you can't consistently do any damage to anything that moves (which means you can't reliably hit anything unless it is on top of you).It's probably my fault, as it is a meta weapon and build, but it also works better whe there are other people to keep your target static.

It's kinda your fault indeed. Though it is understandable, it takes some time to get used to the staff and start using more of its potential. It does indeed work best in a group, but you can most often manage alone too. Don't waste your AOEs on mobs far away, unless you know you'll finish them off instantly. Engage them, close the gap and force them to stay inside the damage. Know when you can channel a longer spell and when you can't and adjust accordingly. Aside from elites and champs, you really can burst down everything before they can deal much damage to you.

I assume with more practice I can get better, but to be honest I am having lots of fun with the sword. It feels fluid, it somehow makes sense to me as a weaver to use a sword. To each his/her own :)

@"Conqueror.3682" said:Is staff the unique "ok" option for ele in pve?Got to 100li with pugs first using scepter/focus, then scepter dagger condi build. I don't get carried when looking at dps meters, but top notch zerker weavers outdps me, and everyone else, by alot.

Use what you like, really. About every weapon comp does work pretty good for all of PvE (except maybe raid CMs) with the proper gear/traits for it. Just don't go condi staff or something strange like it and you are fine.

The thing with power weavers is: They are very good when played properly. But very weak when you don't. A starter is most often better with a ranged condi build as it is more forgiving. But if you master it, then power weaver is great.

My point is that while i get invited by using staff, but i find it extremely boring, but i find sword very fun, but it is frustrating by the fact that im not performing well because sword dps is not enough, so i cant have fun with neither staff or sword....

Maybe i should look for another class...Maybe my question is this, is it posible to make end game PvE content without using staff as a weaver?

@Conqueror.3682 said:My point is that while i get invited by using staff, but i find it extremely boring, but i find sword very fun, but it is frustrating by the fact that im not performing well because sword dps is not enough, so i cant have fun with neither staff or sword....

Maybe i should look for another class...Maybe my question is this, is it posible to make end game PvE content without using staff as a weaver?

I seem to be doing ok with sword. Once you get in a groove survival is easier. Has lots of evades, a water field, and good barrier access. And dps isn't too bad if you stack burns and trait fire/air. A nice trick for if you're about to go down is trigger primordial stance. It keeps giving the conditions after you go down.

d/d might be better. I fully agree with you that while staff is very strong it is also very boring.

@Conqueror.3682 said:My point is that while i get invited by using staff, but i find it extremely boring, but i find sword very fun, but it is frustrating by the fact that im not performing well because sword dps is not enough, so i cant have fun with neither staff or sword....

Technically it is possible to do all the content with pretty much every weapon. Staff is simply the strongest, that's all. But you can pull enough dps off anything, assuming you play to the strengths of your weapon. However, picking off-meta weapon may make it harder for you to find a group for said content. If that's fine for you - go for it. On a side note, it does sound to me like you could use some practice with Sword. And it wouldn't hurt to try other classes either. Their game play differs enough so I'm quite certain you can find one you like.

@reikken.4961 said:fire and either arcane or air

That's what I've been doing. I always do fire, but I'm not sure if I should go arcane or air. Airs damage, especially with grandmaster 3, is really good, but the build doesn't have much defense. Arcane gives better defense and boons, and evasive arcana is super helpful and provides a much needed condi cleanse on water. But arcane definitely has less damage than air. I just can't pick between them!

I've found running Sword dagger with water and arcane still or Fresh air tempest to be the best in casual pve/ Non DPS oriented groups for instances.

With SD, you have great sustain, even with minimal investment into healing power (although having around 300+ is very noticeable in survivability) and moderate damage. Something which is easily complimented with your ability to stack might with fire/ earth rotations . Definitely not comparable to the Fire+ air or Fire+ arcane combination but you will notice you are far harder to kill and I found it arguably the best for solo.

I personally don't like weaver staff unless I have a chrono or healer in the party but I will admit it's by far the highest power DPS spec you have.

@Wentworth.6901 said:

That's what I've been doing. I always do fire, but I'm not sure if I should go arcane or air. Airs damage, especially with grandmaster 3, is really good, but the build doesn't have much defense. Arcane gives better defense and boons, and evasive arcana is super helpful and provides a much needed condi cleanse on water. But arcane definitely has less damage than air. I just can't pick between them!

You don't need defense in PvE. When solo, you can just change a few utilities, or simply cast your Glyph of Storms in Earth for the blind aoe. As a rule of thumb, you only want Arcane for power builds in a group because of Bountiful Power. But not in fractals, or anywhere with a lot of breakbars because of Tempest Defense.

@Feanor.2358 said:

You don't need defense in PvE. When solo, you can just change a few utilities, or simply cast your Glyph of Storms in Earth for the blind aoe. As a rule of thumb, you only want Arcane for power builds in a group because of Bountiful Power. But not in fractals, or anywhere with a lot of breakbars because of Tempest Defense.

I've been traiting for defense a bit with the sword as I found myself dying more than I would like in expansion content. I am learning tricks for survivability with the sword, so perhaps as I get more used to it I could trait air and not die. Arcane does help with swiftness uptime for weaver though.

Using weaver grandmaster 3 and evasive arcana is pretty good though. You can have constant vigor uptime, and you get a barrier and spell when you dodge.

@Wentworth.6901 said:

I've been traiting for defense a bit with the sword as I found myself dying more than I would like in expansion content. I am learning tricks for survivability with the sword, so perhaps as I get more used to it I could trait air and not die. Arcane does help with swiftness uptime for weaver though.

Using weaver grandmaster 3 and evasive arcana is pretty good though. You can have constant vigor uptime, and you get a barrier and spell when you dodge.

I play a very similar style, its fun game play and quite satisfying spinning around the npc and kicking their faces in while constantly healing to full as you go

• 2 weeks later...

@Feanor.2358 said:

Thats incorrect, your assuming a style of gameplay based on min maxing dps, as ive said before not all players value optimal kill speed over everything (if you value that, all is well), for example being able to destroy multiple groups and maintain full health while tanking the lot can feel quite powerful and more importantly fun. It also trains the player to understand their builds in depth, not just the dps meta which is VERY 1 dimensional.

@vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Thats incorrect, your assuming a style of gameplay based on min maxing dps, as ive said before not all players value optimal kill speed over everything (if you value that, all is well), for example being able to destroy multiple groups and maintain full health while tanking the lot can feel quite powerful and more importantly fun. It also trains the player to understand their builds in depth, not just the dps meta which is VERY 1 dimensional.

You're grossly underestimating the dps playstyle.

@Feanor.2358 said:

You're grossly underestimating the dps playstyle.

Underestimating? dps prioritises....dps (your prioritising a number not gameplay), it is fundamentally simpler than other builds that favour dps + other elements of gameplay. DPS is a number, when you prioritize numbers well thats what you get, the biggest numbers.

For example many of the favored meta for PVe raids are staff, staff has the least dynamic and interesting skill choices open to it. I quote from one 100% meta raid build:

'This rotation is logic based with no loops, with the goal of the rotation being to maximise the damage from three main skills.'. That's as turgid and dull as it sounds which we all know well.

Archived