Offensive shield generators neutralizes most defense counterplay

Esprit Dumort.3109

@"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:Oh no someone uses a proper strategy that doesn’t rely on glitches or unfair gameplay to even the playing field of the advantages defenders have. Must nerf that immediately /s

"Advantages"... I'm sorry but without doing the exact same thing (overwhelming siege inside the forts/keeps, etc) as the attacker, defenders are at a huge disadvantage.Without siege walls are useless for the players. While a couple eles, necros, etc can easily kill a arrow cart on top of a wall, a player on top of the wall has to shimmy to the very edge and risk getting pulled out of the wall in order to be able to not get obstructed when fighting people below. This has been the main issue i have with WvW, in that defenders are ALWAYS at a disadvantage.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:Oh no someone uses a proper strategy that doesn’t rely on glitches or unfair gameplay to even the playing field of the advantages defenders have. Must nerf that immediately /s

"Advantages"... I'm sorry but without doing the exact same thing (overwhelming siege inside the forts/keeps, etc) as the attacker, defenders are at a huge disadvantage.Without siege walls are useless for the players. While a couple eles, necros, etc can easily kill a arrow cart on top of a wall, a player on top of the wall has to shimmy to the very edge and risk getting pulled out of the wall in order to be able to not get obstructed when fighting people below. This has been the main issue i have with WvW, in that defenders are ALWAYS at a disadvantage.

Because players putting siege out of LoS or in areas that normal AoEs and player Skills can’t reach and respond to is never a thing, no one ever does that. Defenders are always at a disadvantage they can’t use siege at all or have upgraded structures to allow for more time to defend or walls to defend them and their placed siege out of reach of any players.. smh

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Oh no someone uses a proper strategy that doesn’t rely on glitches or unfair gameplay to even the playing field of the advantages defenders have. Must nerf that immediately /s

Because players putting siege out of LoS or in areas that normal AoEs and player Skills can’t reach and respond to is never a thing, no one ever does that. Defenders are always at a disadvantage they can’t use siege at all or have upgraded structures to allow for more time to defend or walls to defend them and their placed siege out of reach of any players.. smh

They have to do that in response to that disadvantage. Where anywhere in the real world if you're on top of a wall, it's quite easy for you to rain down death on your enemies, in GW2 it's the opposite. Even with LoS there's a ton of AoEs that can be placed on the edge of a wall to get arrow carts up top. I've had ACs placed on the very edge of a wall, floating on air, that still got destroyed with AoEs.Defenders don't have infinite supplies at their disposal, unlike attackers.Attackers can use player skills easily on defenders, while the reverse isn't true.Attackers pick the place and the time.If you think there's any advantage to defenders in GW2 i can't begin to fathom how you can reach that conclusion.Sure, in an actual well made physics without the reverse advantage of walls (where walls actually benefit the attacker more), that would be true, but that is also the nature of sieges and fortifications, they're supposed to be advantageous, or else there would be no reason for them.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Oh no someone uses a proper strategy that doesn’t rely on glitches or unfair gameplay to even the playing field of the advantages defenders have. Must nerf that immediately /s

They have to do that in response to that disadvantage. Where anywhere in the real world if you're on top of a wall, it's quite easy for you to rain down death on your enemies, in GW2 it's the opposite. Even with LoS there's a ton of AoEs that can be placed on the edge of a wall to get arrow carts up top. I've had ACs placed on the very edge of a wall, floating on air, that still got destroyed with AoEs.Defenders don't have infinite supplies at their disposal, unlike attackers.Attackers can use player skills easily on defenders, while the reverse isn't true.Attackers pick the place and the time.If you think there's any advantage to defenders in GW2 i can't begin to fathom how you can reach that conclusion.Sure, in an actual well made physics without the reverse advantage of walls (where walls actually benefit the attacker more), that would be true, but that is also the nature of sieges and fortifications, they're supposed to be advantageous, or else there would be no reason for them.

Yea ok buddy, can tell the real problem here quite easily. Smh

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

This is pretty true

@Rezzet.3614 said:

This is pretty true

its a game to carry the offense team, players on defense should move to cap other empty structure, Anet never wanted players to be able to defend on wall, reason why is so easy to farm the structure, and destroy any siege there, if u guys notive, zerglets, noobs, ktrainers and many others complain where theres 1 or 2 ac's that requires a slightly bit of positioning to destroy it.Now add the structures design not only the wall traps for the defenders be farmed, but the many ways keeps and some other strucutres can be gimmickly taken, when in this game besides a few servers most are ktrains vs empty/dead time zones on other servers.

If Anet made walls places for defenders to be, how much easy and broken they had to nerf t3 walls to t1 walls so the ofense team needs to be carried with tons of siege spamming hitting a wall... and t1 walls its a take arorund 30seconds sometimes less....

And we already have plenty of bad players and newbs into the game mode that want t3 nerfed so they can blob the structure with less effort...Everything in this game is wrong, starting from to be a game for low effort hight reward...players.

This doesn't have much to do with siege, but everything to do with why so many large zergs are formed I think. The cost of the commander tags is pretty steep. I would like there to be different grades for commander tags. 100g for a yellow called havoc/roamer/lieutenant ( groups only add 5-6 ppl limited group options), then you can add to it with another 100g for a red tag called general (medium groups 6-12 ppl, more options) and then upgrade again with another 100g for all tag colors and all options would be full commander.The reason for this is so smaller groups can get semi-organized and maybe draw a few other ppl trying to do the same thing. It would allow for more tags and more options. if you see yellow tag you may want to join that group versus a red tag which probably is a 30-40 person zerg. just might help define play style.

No existing system ever gets any changes. GW2 has had systemic accretion since it's inception. It's a problem that is willfully ignored as policy by Arenanet and although it's always been the elephant in the room, it has been ignored to such a degree that there is nothing in the room except elephant now.

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:Where anywhere in the real world if you're on top of a wall, it's quite easy for you to rain down death on your enemies, in GW2 it's the opposite.In the real world sieges lasted for years until the defender either gave up or the attacker got bored and left. Do you want more of that? We'd have to limit other parts of the game too in that case. I dont want to spend 2 months building my superior trebuchet only to have someone toss a magical grenade on it that somehow makes it not fire despite the fact it's clearly working fine mechanically, you only need to tension it.

Either way, this is exactly why walls is just about delaying the attack. They're not meant to be an "advantage" in the sense that a defender have the upper ground over an attacker and thus should automatically win. It's a wall, it's meant to stop people just walking in. You want an advantage to defending a keep? That's the tower or towers. The defense of garrison isnt so much it's doors and walls - it's dawns and sunny. Siege in there is a massive threat, not to mention the safety of dollys walking past. Same thing with bay and the SW tower. That's what's defending the south wall, that's your advantage. Dont hold it? Well you got no advantage, just walls delaying the inevitable.

It's what feeds WvW activity and forces attacks in both directions. It's the core principle that makes WvW work as a game mode. Standing on top of a wall has exactly nothing to do with any of it.

All of this comes down to is:how difficult should it be for a huge zerg to take a well fortified tower/keep from a handful of people?

The answer for me is "not very", especially if they all drop 20 supply to build siege and shield gens.

It sucks for small groups defending, but really if 10 times your numbers are against you, it's unrealistic to expect to do more than delay either the inevitable, or until your own force comes along.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

In the real world sieges lasted for years until the defender either gave up or the attacker got bored and left. Do you want more of that? We'd have to limit other parts of the game too in that case.I dunno about months.Cut off the hotpocket supply, toss some roadkill in the room, that siege is over in a few minutes.

Might be a good thing O.o

Short answer: No.Long answer: When attackers aren't able to use shield generators, then keeps especially will like to not get attacked anymore at all. Who has fun to die instantly on 10 s-ac's because you can't overheal it and just run off? Attacking a keep isn't attractive anymore in most cases, especially t3 keeps. Too expensive to attack a t3 keep. Takes too long, noone has fun to afk/heal for a hour around, when you could fight someone instead. Shall we just fight for camps? Since keeps can turn into heavily sieged places. When defenders weren't able to spam every inch of a keep with 5+ s-ac's, catas and even trebs then the attackers wouldn't have to abuse the shield generator for the offense. That's just the fate you caused yourself with siegespamming all over the place.

@"Sabre.8251" said:Short answer: No.Long answer: When attackers aren't able to use shield generators, then keeps especially will like to not get attacked anymore at all. Who has fun to die instantly on 10 s-ac's because you can't overheal it and just run off? Attacking a keep isn't attractive anymore in most cases, especially t3 keeps. Too expensive to attack a t3 keep. Takes too long, noone has fun to afk/heal for a hour around, when you could fight someone instead. Shall we just fight for camps? Since keeps can turn into heavily sieged places. When defenders weren't able to spam every inch of a keep with 5+ s-ac's, catas and even trebs then the attackers wouldn't have to abuse the shield generator for the offense. That's just the fate you caused yourself with siegespamming all over the place.

Dont use proxy catas like a newb there are several other options, built siege far away from structure and most strucure can be siegeg from above, walls are easy to clear.Some structures can be trebbed fro far away and u will hit outter and inner with same trebs, defense is actually a pain compared with offense,structures were designed to be lost not maintained due the avaliable gimmicks and ways to cheap take them.Issue is offense side wanting a low effort and easy take....players dont want to fight just ktrain mostly, and t3 wall to become "harder" when another same sized group is on the structure still quite not harder but a delayed cap, securing that objective is still impossible if the offense group wants, it might become harder to impossible since players left since it is not a easy andlow effort cap, wich is what most so called WvW want.

Still this game is full of lamers that want low effort gameplay... i expect that kind of vision.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

This is pretty true

its a game to carry the offense team, players on defense should move to cap other empty structure,
Anet never wanted players to be able to defend on wall
, reason why is so easy to farm the structure, and destroy any siege there, if u guys notive, zerglets, noobs, ktrainers and many others complain where theres 1 or 2 ac's that requires a slightly bit of positioning to destroy it.Now add the structures design not only the wall traps for the defenders be farmed, but the many ways keeps and some other strucutres can be gimmickly taken, when in this game besides a few servers most are ktrains vs empty/dead time zones on other servers.

If Anet made walls places for defenders to be, how much easy and broken they had to nerf t3 walls to t1 walls so the ofense team needs to be carried with tons of siege spamming hitting a wall... and t1 walls its a take arorund 30seconds sometimes less....

And we already have plenty of bad players and newbs into the game mode that want t3 nerfed so they can blob the structure with less effort...Everything in this game is wrong, starting from to be a game for low effort hight reward...players.

I love how people infer on what Arena Net wants, despite evidence in the contrary, based on their opinion.Just look at the dev comments on Points of Interest/Guild Chat, when they were talking about Desert Borderlands, and look at their comments that evidence EXACTLY the opposite, that they actually wanted people to hold on to objectives, that's why they scale with time now.If it was only about rotating caps, that would invalidate walls, and make it overal a crappy 500 man version of Spvp Conquest.This perception is simply because they were unable to make it work properly since day one.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:Where anywhere in the real world if you're on top of a wall, it's quite easy for you to rain down death on your enemies, in GW2 it's the opposite.In the real world sieges lasted for years until the defender either gave up or the attacker got bored and left. Do you want more of that? We'd have to limit other parts of the game too in that case. I dont want to spend 2 months building my superior trebuchet only to have someone toss a magical grenade on it that somehow makes it not fire despite the fact it's clearly working fine mechanically, you only need to tension it.

Either way, this is exactly why walls is just about delaying the attack. They're not meant to be an "advantage" in the sense that a defender have the upper ground over an attacker and thus should automatically win. It's a wall, it's meant to stop people just walking in. You want an advantage to defending a keep? That's the tower or towers. The defense of garrison isnt so much it's doors and walls - it's dawns and sunny. Siege in there is a massive threat, not to mention the safety of dollys walking past. Same thing with bay and the SW tower. That's what's defending the south wall, that's your advantage. Dont hold it? Well you got no advantage, just walls delaying the inevitable.

It's what feeds WvW activity and forces attacks in both directions. It's the core principle that makes WvW work as a game mode. Standing on top of a wall has exactly nothing to do with any of it.

Years lol... Weeks, months, maybe, years? Nope. And they lasted for years exactly because you'd either have to oppose a keep with an excessive amount of force to break it, or hold it in siege and wait for capitulation.On an actual real siege people couldn't build siege out of the air, and there were more than what we have.

You're right about towers and keeps, sadly we don't have any of those things in our walls. In fact people have to build siege weapons on top of roofs inside keeps, or attack their own gates with catapults to defend them. That's such utter nonsense that it makes me cringe everytime i play WvW.

Again, you're comenting on how WvW is played with the broken systems it has, not how it should be designed to work. Because as it is, it's just a supersized conquest match, and that, my friend is why WvW is bleeding players, because at some point, people realize it's not what you make it out to be.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:Again, you're comenting on how WvW is played with the broken systems it has, not how it should be designed to work. Because as it is, it's just a supersized conquest match, and that, my friend is why WvW is bleeding players, because at some point, people realize it's not what you make it out to be.No, I'm commenting on how WvW has worked for years, not how someone think it should be designed to work. If people realize that WvW isnt what they thought it would be after 5 years, well more power to them I guess, dont know what to say to that :/

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:Years lol... Weeks, months, maybe, years? Nope. And they lasted for years exactly because you'd either have to oppose a keep with an excessive amount of force to break it, or hold it in siege and wait for capitulation.While real-world references more often than not aren't very helpful when discussing mmo design issues, I can't resist to point out that historically there were a few sieges which actually did last a couple of years. ;)

This is a brilliant topic arenanet should listen to the OP he clearly knows about the game, people should have no way to capture obejectives, everything should be T3 all the time, 5 people should be able to get on siege and defend vs 20 or 30 or even 40, why not 5 vs 50?? i mean this is how the game should be, everybody just sitting on a random tower or keep waiting for the enemy to be completely bored so they can capture a lonelly objective, ARENANET please listen to this guy pls, make it happen nerf all offensive siege please and make sure you buff all possible defenses while u doing so, more OIL, AC, Mortar damage would be awasome, also just throwing this idea on the air why don't u guys make the AC fire corrupt boons, you know like that awasome new class u introdced to the game recently "scourge", make a new atack named "scourge arrow" "corrupt all boons on targets hit and imobilizes them for 5 seconds, max targets 50". I wonder why u never put that awesome "portable cannon" into the game, it was such and awesome idea, u should bring it back, Arenanet guys doing such awesome job as always for WvW, KEEP IT UP GUYS! and happy new year game is such a finacial success in 2018 so many people playing it!!!!

@Lemoncurry.2345 said:

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:Years lol... Weeks, months, maybe, years? Nope. And they lasted for years exactly because you'd either have to oppose a keep with an excessive amount of force to break it, or hold it in siege and wait for capitulation.While real-world references more often than not aren't very helpful when discussing mmo design issues, I can't resist to point out that historically there were
which actually did last a couple of years. ;)

Aw mate, don't fuel my fire... Yes, some lasted years (usually in places that had open supply lines by sea, so it wasn't a complete siege, but, disregarding that, those sieges just justify what i've been saying... Look at the numbers, attackers have usually at least twice as many men. In GW2, that's not the case, a successful defence requires at least as many defenders than attackers, and the walls just delay entry and give no actual advantage.The fact that you need to lay siege weapons on rooftops and bug them for them not to be obliterated immediately also tells how imbalanced that is.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:Again, you're comenting on how WvW is played with the broken systems it has, not how it should be designed to work. Because as it is, it's just a supersized conquest match, and that, my friend is why WvW is bleeding players, because at some point, people realize it's not what you make it out to be.No, I'm commenting on how WvW has worked for years, not how someone think it should be designed to work. If people realize that WvW isnt what they thought it would be after 5 years, well more power to them I guess, dont know what to say to that :/It doesn't mean its working as intended. Simply that this is how the game devolved after player interaction with it. Again if you look at dev comments when discussing the design of desert borderlands you'll see that they intended for people to hold on to objectives and defend them, not just rotate them.The fact that its working like that doesn't dismiss the fact that it's not working as intended, only that the devs never cared enough to make it work after HoT released.Here:

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:The fact that its working like that doesn't dismiss the fact that it's not working as intended, only that the devs never cared enough to make it work after HoT released.The fact that its working like that does not mean its not working as intended. Fact is that the walls on DBL are already higher making it considerably harder if not impossible to hit certain locations from below, plus the objectives have much more complicated design allowing for siege positioning. If that is all you see in "working as intended" then its doing just that.

Is ABL the same? No, but fact is at least it has a map design thats working as intended, unlike DBL. The vast majority of players have already voted on what they like best by their actions.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Is ABL the same? No, but fact is at least it has a map design thats working as intended, unlike DBL. The vast majority of players have already voted on what they like best by their actions.

DBL was meant to be pretty, in that way it's working as intended.It looks great on videos like the one above, no doubt it looks good on a resume as well.Just as long as you don't actually try to WvW on it.

@Esprit Dumort.3109 said:I see this more and more, that a 60+ player zerg that wants to take down a t2 or t3 tower/keep will layer their rams / catapults / trebuchets with shields and attack without worry from any defensive siege. Only a zerg can counter this type of play style now, which is frustrating for small groups trying to defend.

Defensive siege is essentially useless. Catapults, arrow carts, ballista, trebs, and siege disablers are all blocked by shield gens. That's assuming that the attacking zerg has not aoe'd your wall defenses down to nothing.

Even with Inulnvurable Fortifications, it's often not enough for a counter zerg from another map to save a tower against the multiple shield + 5-6 superior ram combos, especially with a keep waypoint contested.

The current method of using overwhelming siege makes defense very limited without a sufficient counter zerg to come to the rescue. You might as well just turn each tower into a PvP point that can be captured... the Lord ring, without a defensive barriers.

Why should the 60+ siege-ing a nearly empty (you didn't give numbers to defenders) tower not succeed? Shield gens aren't even a thing to consider at that point...

Guess what OP? I've lost count of the number of times I've seen wall flowers stand in the tower or keep and moan that they can do nothing against bigger numbers...without putting down any siege, laying supply traps, or actually getting their precious pixels hurt by thinking of how to do some damage to those siege taking down the wall. Blobs don't usually turn up out of no where...

There are usually several ways to approach their siege and if you are prepared to let your pixels get hurt whilst you rush the siege from above, or the side or behind whilst someone else approaches from another direction, then the odds are good that after a few rushes you will destroy the siege. Too many go outside, then engage a couple of enemies at range and then decide they can't do anything.

Suicide at their siege and at least die with your boots on!

You can also frustrate a big blob by attacking in small groups at multiple targets across the map- it only takes a couple of people to build a catapult but it takes a lot more supplies to fix that wall when they come to wipe you- and eventually they can't defend everything and you flip stuff.

Too many stop thinking when they enter a map and become sheep, incapable of thinking or acting without a comm badge to follow and lay down siege- it's almost as if comms are the only ones who ever carry siege....or are allowed to use it.

Archived