Mykhul's Guide To 100 Gold Per Hour

Once upon a time, there was a guy named Mykhul, me, who would play wvw a lot and earn barely any gold; but, he didn't care because wvw was fun, and he didn't even realize what REAL gold income in GW2 even was.

Mykhul, though being the most hated guy on Maguuma, mainly because he was so great at wvw others just couldn't understand him, was near completely ignorant on how to make gold.

Oh sure, Mykhul looked up videos on youtube and checked forums etc etc, looking to learn how to make the most gold he could in the game... what an absolute joke.

"You can make 15 gold an hour farming bitterfrost nodes"

"you can run pact supplies for 40 gold an hour, but can only do it 4 minutes per day"

"you can run a fractal and make 40 gold an hour, on a great day, if yer very lucky, well, no you can't"

"you can farm crud and craft junk and sell them on the trading post for 15 gold an hour !!!"

Oh the ways I have laughed, and laughed, at how mind numbingly boring all that stuff would even be to try.

Then one day Mykhul said to himself... "Wait a minute, you are as great a wvw player as has ever been, owning bloodlust with impunity. Perhaps I can redirect that greatness into finding a way to be the best gold farmer that has ever been, as well."

And so, I set off on the mental journey, a quest if you will, Mykhul's Quest For Gold !!!

The mental journey took longer than expected... a whole 4 seconds.

With my notoriety and skills at almost everything, i expected to find the path to greatest gold farmerness, in no more than 3 seconds... but 4 it took.

And the end results of my mission to earn 100+ gold per hour?

Path of Fire mounts.

They allow the ultimate boring journey of full world exploration, to be done relatively quickly... approximately 1 hour per map, with cities taking 10 to 15 minutes each.

Thus, 2 gifts of exploration can be had in about 25 to 27 hours, assuming you are average, and don't blow it doing the hearts. And assuming you aren't above average like me, which means you can do full world exploration, in less than 25 hours.

This equates to about 12.5 hours per Gift, and this can be turned into legendaries.

2 legendaries, per Map Run.

You need a nest egg of gold to create the legendary (1000 to 1600 gold or so, depending on the legendary you'll make for sale).

You need to not be slow as a dead snail doing some of the trickier hearts.

You need to use waypoints in a map every chance you get, if after load time it will have saved you even 1 second, as you will be making almost 3 silver per second at the higher skilled player's level.

You need to play things like wvw anyway, or this will add to the times. BUT if you will play wvw anyway, you get things like gifts of battle from the reward tracks, or dungeon tokens you may need.

You will need dungeon tokens for the legendary you will make and that may have to be run a couple times as well. It's easy, especially if you have friends, as a daily.

You will have had to play a while and have built up a stash of other things such as shards. (I have thousands doing nothing).

You need to look at a site that shows the prices of legendaries, buy value, sell value, pre cost to buy, craft etc, crafting cost high and low etc, to know when to create the legendary, and when to sell. Trust me, it's not hard to see what's important, or understand it.

You need to zip around with yer mounts like a speed demon and making the map completion fun, instead of slow as molassas boring because of how anet decided "mosquito pecks yer leg therefore go into snail mode".

Some classes are just better at this than others, to avoid monster aggro, to get back on your mount asap. but even on bad classes for this, it's still on par gold wise. Just not ideal. Play whatever you want.

Fast glide off mountainsides on your griffin, jump up on your rabbit to get the vista that would have taken 3 minutes before, run everywhere on your raptor jumping forward for speed, even the stupid manta is helpful, sometimes. Dismount and crash on enemies almost killing the bunch of them in 1 hit.

Learn the hearts... some can destroy your times... there are tricks to most that will bother you until you know those tricks.

Again, set your pvp/wvw tracks to the things you need for the legendary crafting.

When the buy order demand is high on a legendary, and the sells are a lot higher... steeply cut the price you offer it for, to get a buyer.

If people undercut you by a copper, who cares... it's all money in the bank for many legendaries, like kudzu, if you set a smart, not too greedy price.

Skip every node you find in the game... as farming any node, is a waste of your time/money, while doing this.

If you blow it on hearts, if you are slow, if you don't wp like you should to save precious time (every second = multiple silvers), you will STILL make better gold doing this, than anything else you'll do in the game.

Better than world boss farming, better than node farming, better than wvw, better than pvp, better than pact supplies.... combined.

Just understand the site you find, that shows the crafting cost of a legendary, vs the buy price, how deep the buy prices are, vs the seller price and how deep they are.

Unless you have deep pockets of gold, you want your nest egg money back, so you can repeat the process immediately.

If your gold gets stuck in TP a while, who cares, just build up more gifts of exploration... it's all money in the bank.

Put in buy orders on the trading post for materials you will need regardless of legendary you'll make, so save event more gold. Be surprised how much you can save this way, getting lucky on T6 mats.

Never farm again. Waste of your time. Buy everything on TP.

Just understand if you try to push the prices too much, you may get stuck for a long time on the trading post. In other words don't be greedy. It's a sin for a reason btw.

When you see 20 guys lined up 1 silver apart, don't think you'll get lucky if you try to be the 21st guy in that pack... odds are, a 22nd will get in front of you, and a 23rd etc. unless you steeply cut the price.

Putting your item up for sale, even if it's an instant sale, GW2 takes a cut, immediately. Be aware of this because most times it's best to not take the item off the TP, and revalue it, for this very reason.

Watch the lists, see the signs on the wall... build whatever legendary is a hot item for you to sell, ONLY when you see it's a hot item to sell at that very instant.... pre-crafting only things like gifts of might and magic if you want... undercut the price to make sure the money won't be gone too long, and repeat the process of exploration again while you wait.

A full world completion every 2 weeks is an easy thing to do for almost anyone, and means a legendary a week... you should be making serious gold doing this, as long as you check the crafting costs against the sale costs, and the tax GW2 rips from your fingers.

Just do the math... however bad you may be at math, you'll see even in a worst case scenario of full world exploration, you can absolutely assure yourself of 50 gold an hour, minimum.

Better than anything else you'll get in the game, by far.

Just pick the right legendaries.

The more people that realize how easy it is to make gold cuz of the PoF mounts, even fun in many ways, doing this, the more sale competition you're gonna have.

So start while it's still hot.

The end.

I have hereby kept my promise to Maguuma wvw, when so few believed I was making this kind of gold.

From 50 at first messing around, to 70, then to 130 gold per hour as my record.

You didn't make that kind of gold from wvw.... you made it from mostly pve and a little wvw.

Most people don't have 1000g for the mats of legendary, Id bet.But more than that.I would think most people know that legendaries are profitable.It's just not fun to farm for. Especially if you only like one game mode.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You should not count the gold used to purchase mats and precursors towards your g/hr as that is misleading. Use the profit instead.

it is all profit haha.

The cost to craft, is huge, and includes the cost of purchasing mats etc.

I only mention purchasing mats because wasting time farming mats is just that... a total waste of time and money at this level.

Profit = gold you take in (tp posting price minus listing fee minus gw2 tax on sale) - crafting cost (includes mats, precursor, etc).

My record is 130 gold per hour, but that was a lucky sale. 80 is easy.

And i'm not even a total master at these hearts, or at running precise routes for best times on a map.

As for hearts etc... even a total novice will get many times more gold doing this, and selling legendaries low price, than anything else in the game. Even buying mats at high price.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Assuming a 1000g profit, 12.5h for gift of exploration and 5 for gift of battle your maximum is at 57g/h. Still nice but quite different from what is advertised

...and that includes people who don't wvw normally, and have to spend extra hours in game to farm gifts of battle etc. Though I agree with your math, if something requires you to play wvw (in my case how I got legendary armors), I never count the hours twice. If i'm gonna spend ten hours per week with a goal to get legendary armors, the reward track is merely a bonus. Same with pvp. Though again, I agree with you on the math.

@"Taygus.4571" said:You didn't make that kind of gold from wvw.... you made it from mostly pve and a little wvw.

duh, haha

Most people don't have 1000g for the mats of legendary, Id bet.

Long before i started making serious gold, i drained out my bank stash and storage etc... got 600 gold. But yes, you need the initial money. I bet lots of people have lots more trash to sell than they realize, for gold.

But more than that.I would think most people know that legendaries are profitable.

Trust me... sooooooooooo many people do not. I used to talk about how much gold I was making in wvw. Not a single person there was making more than 20 G an hour... on a good day.

EDIT: "i never told wvw how i was making gold, so they just assumed I was lying. I just promised them I'd tell them over Christmas. They had no clue you could even make this much gold per hour, let alone selling legendaries".

The main reason is full world exploration was so boring to 99% of players, they wrote it out of their brains long ago.

Mounts just make the whole thing sort of enjoyable now as opposed to pre-mounts.

And way more profitable.

It's just, fun, to know you're making such gold.

Way more than running Fire Elemental boss or Modnir etc, ever were, or ever will be.

@CrusaderMichael.9245 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You should not count the gold used to purchase mats and precursors towards your g/hr as that is misleading. Use the profit instead.

it is all profit haha.

The cost to craft, is huge, and includes the cost of purchasing mats etc.

I only mention purchasing mats because wasting time farming mats is just that... a total waste of time and money at this level.

Profit = gold you take in (tp posting price minus listing fee minus gw2 tax on sale) - crafting cost (includes mats, precursor, etc).

My record is 130 gold per hour, but that was a lucky sale. 80 is easy.

And i'm not even a total master at these hearts, or at running precise routes for best times on a map.

As for hearts etc... even a total novice will get many times more gold doing this, and selling legendaries low price, than anything else in the game. Even buying mats at high price.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Assuming a 1000g profit, 12.5h for gift of exploration and 5 for gift of battle your maximum is at 57g/h. Still nice but quite different from what is advertised

...and that includes people who don't wvw normally, and have to spend extra hours in game to farm gifts of battle etc. Though I agree with your math, if something requires you to play wvw (in my case how I got legendary armors), I never count the hours twice. If i'm gonna spend ten hours per week with a goal to get legendary armors, the reward track is merely a bonus. Same with pvp. Though again, I agree with you on the math.

@"Taygus.4571" said:You didn't make that kind of gold from wvw.... you made it from mostly pve and a little wvw.

duh, haha

Most people don't have 1000g for the mats of legendary, Id bet.

Long before i started making serious gold, i drained out my bank stash and storage etc... got 600 gold. But yes, you need the initial money. I bet lots of people have lots more trash to sell than they realize, for gold.

But more than that.I would think most people know that legendaries are profitable.

Trust me... sooooooooooo many people do not. I used to talk about how much gold I was making in wvw. Not a single person there was making more than 20 G an hour... on a good day.

EDIT: "i never told wvw how i was making gold, so they just assumed I was lying. I just promised them I'd tell them over Christmas. They had no clue you could even make this much gold per hour, let alone selling legendaries".

The main reason is full world exploration was so boring to 99% of players, they wrote it out of their brains long ago.

Mounts just make the whole thing sort of enjoyable now as opposed to pre-mounts.

And way more profitable.

It's just, fun, to know you're making such gold.

Way more than running Fire Elemental boss or Modnir etc, ever were, or ever will be.

If your record was 130G/hr and you spent 25 hours in total for the entire process of crafting two legendaries, that comes to 1,625G profit per legendary which hasn’t ever happened.

I suggest you show the math of how you reached your supposed g/hr otherwise I’m just going to call it immensely exaggerated.

I play this game for fun, Ayrilana has sold more Legendaries than I have, I mainly craft ones I like for myself though. If you find such repetition fun then good for you. As long as my waypointing cost is covered each session, thanks to daily 2g it more than is, I do what I enjoy in game, and make plenty of gold doing it. Amazing. Helps that my base account Magic Find is 300+%, with the unID’d gear and caches in PoF.

Gold really isn’t everything, account value though, mhmm.

@"Oglaf.1074" said:"You need a nest egg of gold to create the legendary (1000 to 1600 gold or so, depending on the legendary you'll make for sale)."

Which makes the title kinda deceptive, doesn't it? This is a guide for the 0.000001% of players and should be the first thing you bring up, lol.

Actually you don't. You don't need gold for legendaries, except to speed-up the process. When I bought my first precursor with the intention to sell the legendary I didn't even have 500g, and my bank was cleaned of materials from crafting Nevermore prior to that.

Reposting my post since it got removed by quoting a removed post.

And yet you keep avoiding backing up how you reached your number while I used the little information that you provided to show that what you're claiming is very exaggerated.

Just going by the hours is more than enough to prove you wrong.

It takes ~8 hours to do the two WvW reward tracks for the gifts of battle assuming that you use XP boosters. It'll take about an hour to get the 154 mystic clovers from the MF unless you get incredibly lucky with the x10 recipe (doubtful). Add another hour spent putting in buy orders, crafting what you need, and other misc tasks in crafting the legendary. This brings it to 10 hours spent so far.

You also need dungeon tokens for the gifts. You need 1,000 for two legendary weapons so let's go with AC. We can assume that you can complete a single path within 10 minutes. You'll need to do 8 paths to get the 1,000 tokens as the other 200 will come from the repeatable achievement and boss bags. I'll assume that the boss bags you get during those eight paths give you 50 tokens. Those 8 paths take you an hour and 20 minutes. We can round it up to an hour and 30 minutes to account for LFG. This brings it to 11.5 hours spent on everything but world completion.

Bolt was providing about 930G profit yesterday although right now The Predator is around 992G. I'll use the higher amount to show what your gold per hour would be based on various world completion times.

10 hours = ([992x2]/[11.5+10) = 92.28 g/hr15 hours = ([992x2]/[11.5+15) = 74.87 g/hr20 hours = ([992x2]/[11.5+20) = 62.98 g/hr25 hours = ([992x2]/[11.5+25) = 54.36 g/hr

So yeah, you're exaggerating quite a bit and I seriously doubt that you ever got 130 g/hr. All of this of course ignoring the spirit shards and obsidian shards that you need for the legendary weapons. More time will undoubtedly have to be added to acquire enough of those and I can tell you right now that it would at least halve the rates above.

I'll also point out that I have crafted and sold at least 12 legendaries. GW2Efficiency doesn't go back far enough for me to give the exact amount. So yeah, I do know what I am talking about. In hindsight, I do regret using up so many obsidian shards and spirit shards as that's where the bottleneck is for me on crafting legendaries for use.

@Feanor.2358 said:What other use do you have for obsidian and spirit shards though?

Spirit shards can be used to promote items to make gold.

The issue with those two is that they’re finite and not things you can obtain fairly quickly without affecting your g/hr. The OP neglected to account for this among many other things.

If the OP is just going to assume that players have massive amounts of obsidian and spirit shards, how is that any different than me claiming I can make over 2K g/hr converting laurels to gold?

@Feanor.2358 said:

@"Oglaf.1074" said:"You need a nest egg of gold to create the legendary (1000 to 1600 gold or so, depending on the legendary you'll make for sale)."

Which makes the title kinda deceptive, doesn't it? This is a guide for the 0.000001% of players and should be the first thing you bring up, lol.

Actually you don't. You don't need gold for legendaries, except to speed-up the process. When I bought my first precursor with the intention to sell the legendary I didn't even have 500g, and my bank was cleaned of materials from crafting Nevermore prior to that.

You DO need it in this case because it is an X gold in Y hours-guide/situation that takes you having this nest egg as a requirement.

It should be obvious that I am not talking about Legendary crafting in general.

LOL

The majority of people would probably find your "money machine" ridiculous. That kind of extreme grind only appeals to a minority of players. There are so many ways to make money in the game, and all of them are more fun. There are people who have fun doing world completion with several toons, so that may be a good way to use up the gifts of exploration they get anyway. Have you taken the costs into account that new character slots create? Because initially, you can only pull this off 5 times.

Also, this project is rather risky, there are only about 200 legendary weaponos on the TP right now. There is not much demand, only a handful reasonable purchase offers. The risk to not make profit at all with all the time spent is considerable. The prices of those weapons highly volatile. That doesn't matter for account bound legendary weapons. When material prices drop and you can craft Nevermore for 2300 gold instead of 3k like before the expansion, it doesn't matter to me. If you crafted your Bolt and it has cost you 2k gold, well, guess what, now it can be crafted for 1350 gold. The savings for people to simply craft Bolt instead of buying it on the TP is more than 50%. There's a high risk you'll never sell it for profit, or you lose the fee you paid for putting it up for sale.

It's much smarter to produce things in high quantity and trade with them.

@"Faaris.8013" said:LOL

The majority of people would probably find your "money machine" ridiculous. That kind of extreme grind only appeals to a minority of players. There are so many ways to make money in the game, and all of them are more fun. There are people who have fun doing world completion with several toons, so that may be a good way to use up the gifts of exploration they get anyway. Have you taken the costs into account that new character slots create? Because initially, you can only pull this off 5 times.

Also, this project is rather risky, there are only about 200 legendary weaponos on the TP right now. There is not much demand, only a handful reasonable purchase offers. The risk to not make profit at all with all the time spent is considerable. The prices of those weapons highly volatile. That doesn't matter for account bound legendary weapons. When material prices drop and you can craft Nevermore for 2300 gold instead of 3k like before the expansion, it doesn't matter to me. If you crafted your Bolt and it has cost you 2k gold, well, guess what, now it can be crafted for 1350 gold. The savings for people to simply craft Bolt instead of buying it on the TP is more than 50%. There's a high risk you'll never sell it for profit, or you lose the fee you paid for putting it up for sale.

It's much smarter to produce things in high quantity and trade with them.

"extreme grind" it is only if you look at it in the short term.

For most pve people, they "grind" for gold daily, in the form of boss runs etc etc.

This is the same, except you don't get a daily reward, you get the reward at the end.

It's all an illusion this is an "extreme grind", since after 24 hours, you've put in 24 hours of this, OR the other ways that yield less gold.

You can do a full map completion in 2 weeks, of 2 maps per day. 2 gifts in 2 weeks.

It's how people should look at it.

As for the risk. This risk is very minimal but the little details of TP are too numerous to list.

The thing is, even if a person had to pull their legendary off TP because they set too high a price or just got super unlucky, they could lose the listing fee 2 or 3 times and STILL be making better gold than anything else in the game haha.

It's my main reason for writing this post at all. If you're gonna put the same hours in anyway pve scraping out some gold from the game, you might as well get tons more gold in the end. People just have to start looking at it differently.

Mounts just make it too easy now.

And FYI not that it matters but, there are way more than 200 legendary weapons on TP. Maybe you meant buy orders (the ones that aren't jokes anyway like asking for Kudzu for 5 gold). Hence your "not in demand" comment.

This is in no way a sign of lack of demand though. Many people are in the market for legendaries. It's why every sale I've tried, sells less than a day.

The demand but regardless, you work with the numbers shown... even a demand of 1 guy on the list as a decent buy order, again, is worth more gold than anything you can find in the game otherwise, hour for hour.

Hour for hour, it's the best gold in the game... without a doubt. Even with just the buy orders shown, and even if you had to lose your listing fee multiple times.

Assume you won't have the worst luck in the world though, and you'll make even more gold doing this.

Essentially the OP's argument is something like this:

If you have all the stuff you need to craft stuff that sells for a lot of gold, you can make a lot of gold in a short period of time.

While true, it's not very helpful to most people who don't already have all (or most) of the stuff. A more accurate title for the thread would be:

Build Legendaries for Fun & Profit (simpler than you think)

Although it needs to include a few caveats:

It is time consuming to obtain the necessary karma, clover, dungeon tokens, Gifts of Battle, and Map Completions.Additionally, you need to collect about 1000-1500 gold worth of materials in order to generate 600-1000 gold of profit.None of this is difficult; you just have to be willing to be disciplined about how/where to farm and how to save up until you're ready to craft & sell.

It's not a bad system; it's just misleading to claim that the rate is 100g/hour as if any player can just decide to invest a single hour of their time to get 100 gold. Worse, if more than a dozen players decide to do this regularly, the profit is going to drop. It only works as long as there's not much competition

Archived