What if Resistance was an attribute instead of a boon and it worked like this

Crab Fear.1624

Instead of having 100% immunity on a boon that could easily be removed, how about resistance being an attribute that reduces damage taken from condition and/or their durations.

Now obviously you wouldn't want to pair this attribute with any healing or toughness. To prevent Super Saiyan God Tier bunkers, but it could be useful if combined with power type amulets.

Brainstorm.

Personally I think resistance should just be removed, and the relavent skills that procced resistance should be modified and rebalanced as cleanse skills.

If anet is actually trying to recreate the ramp up for condi builds then resistance is outright useless since you can't prevent the ramp up. Currently resistance benefits the user cause you can completely nullify a burst, but if condi won't be bursty anymore then builds that relied on resistance won't be able to compete as well.

This would be light years better than what we have now. Why we have a boon that completely shuts down 1 type of damage, and can easily be maintained 100% of the time is beyond me. Return the condition damage to classes we had previously before the last nerf, then do one of these things:

• Turn resistance into an attribute that reduces condition damage (but do not add it to any gear with toughness or vitality on it, we can't have god bunker builds running around. Players will have to sacrifice physical damage reduction to have this attribute)
  • Make some new runes that are directly focused on condition damage reduction & condition duration reduction
  • Add it to food/utility, but have done in such a way that sacrifices physical damage reduction. Aka, 20% of physical damage reduction is converted to 20% condition damage reduction for 30 min.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:This would be light years better than what we have now. Why we have a boon that completely shuts down 1 type of damage, and can easily be maintained 100% of the time is beyond me. Return the condition damage to classes we had previously before the last nerf, then do one of these things:

• Turn resistance into an attribute that reduces condition damage (but do not add it to any gear with toughness or vitality on it, we can't have god bunker builds running around. Players will have to sacrifice physical damage reduction to have this attribute)
  • Make some new runes that are directly focused on condition damage reduction & condition duration reduction
  • Add it to food/utility, but have done in such a way that sacrifices physical damage reduction. Aka, 20% of physical damage reduction is converted to 20% condition damage reduction for 30 min.

It shouldn’t be on a stat setthat has both Toughness and Vitality or Just Toughness but Vitalit wouldn’t be an issue it would take the spot of Toughness in that aspect

@Crab Fear.1624 said:Instead of having 100% immunity on a boon that could easily be removed, how about resistance being an attribute that reduces damage taken from condition and/or their durations.

Now obviously you wouldn't want to pair this attribute with any healing or toughness. To prevent Super Saiyan God Tier bunkers, but it could be useful if combined with power type amulets.

Brainstorm.

You mean like toughness? Why not just remove resistance all together and let toughness do what it is supposed to do.

@otto.5684 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:Instead of having 100% immunity on a boon that could easily be removed, how about resistance being an attribute that reduces damage taken from condition and/or their durations.

Brainstorm.

You mean like toughness? Why not just remove resistance all together and let toughness do what it is supposed to do.

like toughness for conditions..because last time i checked, toughness does not reduce condition damage. resistance would be the attribute and reduce incoming condition damage or duration. not by 100% obviouslyunless you mean make toughness also reduce incoming condition damage...which I would say no to because that would be OP. one would need to choose toughness or resistance, and not have both. also not in combination with healing either. no super trooper bunkers

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:This would be light years better than what we have now. Why we have a boon that completely shuts down 1 type of damage, and can easily be maintained 100% of the time is beyond me. Return the condition damage to classes we had previously before the last nerf, then do one of these things:

The same reason why weakness completely shuts down power builds. The difference is weakness lasts forever were as resistance is just a few seconds, unless you are a spellbreaker.

OP you do realize that your proposition would buff condition builds rights? By introducing resistance as a stat, you'd make condi management even harder for classes that traditionally use resistance. (I'm sure mallyx rev totally needs another nerf) Moreover resistance amulets would never be run ever because resistance-stat would be even less valuable than toughness, and toughness is already a hard sell for a lot of classes.

@Crinn.7864 said:OP you do realize that your proposition would buff condition builds rights? By introducing resistance as a stat, you'd make condi management even harder for classes that traditionally use resistance. (I'm sure mallyx rev totally needs another nerf) Moreover resistance amulets would never be run ever because resistance-stat would be even less valuable than toughness, and toughness is already a hard sell for a lot of classes.

• I don't think so. Resistance today is like a moth in the fire. Players are sure to have boon removal in their builds today for just those types. How about the amulet, it could have an imaginary number like this: 560 resistance gives the player 50% condition damage reduction 25% duration reduction. May a stack reduction could be tossed in there too.Toughness is a hard sell today because it does nothing for conditions.
  • Classes that traditionally have resistance could replaced with a cleanse. The class I tend to play does not have resistance without stealing it, and if there is no resistance to steal, then all of those classes would be in the same boat. (If no one brings resistance as a thief, bye bye thief)

Bonus

• Lets imagine that weakness also affects the player so that 50% of the time condition applications (made offensively by the affected) only apply 10% of their normal duration. Much like how it affects power player.

@Aza.2105 said:

@"DeadlySynz.3471" said:This would be light years better than what we have now. Why we have a boon that completely shuts down 1 type of damage, and can easily be maintained 100% of the time is beyond me. Return the condition damage to classes we had previously before the last nerf, then do one of these things:

The same reason why weakness completely shuts down power builds. The difference is weakness lasts forever were as resistance is just a few seconds, unless you are a spellbreaker.

aX2KOIu.jpg

I've always been a fan of the idea that toughness also effects condition damage or duration and that weakness applies to condition ticks as well and protection applies to condition damage reduction.

I'd go with introducing a new "Resilience" attribute that reduces the damage from conditions, then rework the Resistance boon into two separate ones, one of them keeping the name and icon:

• "Resistance", a boon that reduces condition damage and duration by 33%.
  • "Screen", a new boon that prevents non-disabling effects: Chilled, crippled, weakness, vulnerability, blind, etc...

So Protection and Resistance would be about preventing the damage, while Screen and Stability would be about preventing the control.

Skills that currently give Resistance will provide different durations of either or both or include stability based on the original intention of the skill and what it was meant to prevent.

Then also make it so skills that remove boons or conditions make the affected creatures immune to the boons or conditions removed for a very short time, something from 0.75s to 2s. So instant reapplication of a a boon or condition just removed isn't possible, thus punishing mindless spam.

Finally, add an unremovable "Safeguard" effect similar to alacrity that prevents boon removal or corruption. Very few skills will provide this, most of them in guardian defensive skills or triats and ventari and preservation traits. And most of them affect only allies, not the caster. No skill or effect will provide more than 2s at a time of this, and the recharges for such effects will never be shorter tan 20s.

@"Crinn.7864" said:OP you do realize that your proposition would buff condition builds rights? By introducing resistance as a stat, you'd make condi management even harder for classes that traditionally use resistance. (I'm sure mallyx rev totally needs another nerf) Moreover resistance amulets would never be run ever because resistance-stat would be even less valuable than toughness, and toughness is already a hard sell for a lot of classes.

Ooo, toughness is "hard to sell", because good amulets with toughness got r-e-m-o-v-e-d from sPvP.

Archived