Instances: A Terrible Design Decision (mild PoF spoilers)

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Blur.3465" said:They have addressed this issue in GW1. If you DC you will be back to where you left off, if in a mission or anywhere else in the world.I have no idea why this hasn't taken place in GW2 yet.

And when did they make that change?

Here you go: https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Reconnect_after_disconnect"The reconnect after disconnect function was introduced in the December 20, 2006, game update. It allows a player to reconnect after a connectivity issue or a computer/Guild Wars crash within ten minutes from the same computer if their character is not in a guild hall, outpost nor town."

@Blur.3465 said:

@Blur.3465 said:They have addressed this issue in GW1. If you DC you will be back to where you left off, if in a mission or anywhere else in the world.I have no idea why this hasn't taken place in GW2 yet.

And when did they make that change?

Here you go:
"The reconnect after disconnect function was introduced in the December 20, 2006, game update. It allows a player to reconnect after a connectivity issue or a computer/Guild Wars crash within ten minutes from the same computer if their character is not in a guild hall, outpost nor town."

Oh that. I’m assuming that there’s some technical limitation preventing your character from remaining logged into the game while you try to get back on.

The rather varied length of story instances is somewhat annoying, but I will say that in more recent releases, it doesn't seem as bad as some earlier ones. But just fairly annoying otherwise to going through, and have 15 minutes until you plan to go to bed, open a story instance, and find out your are in a 45 minute instance.There is also lots of trash mobs in story instances that don't really add anything, but just slow things down. Or the idea that a long battle where you repeat the same mechanic 20 times is somehow more epic than if you repeated the mechanics 6 times. I think some of that is just poor attempts by Anet to try to stretch out story content.But this is really annoying when it comes to LS achievements, where the achievement is something you can't even attempt until you are 20 minutes into the story, and can go to a failed state in the first 5 seconds of the last battle because it is a 'not get hit by some attack' or the like. To the extent I'm just not going to waste my time trying to go back for those.

This is a known bug, so it seems strange to phrase your complaint towards all instances when its just a few.

A cinematic plays after that which was too much for your PC, and the network thread couldn't get enough CPU time and you were promptly disconnected from the server due to a lack of communication (usually due to disk I/O stalls).

There are several very long threads with workarounds for this particular issue, like lowering your graphics settings.

@Solvar.7953 said:Or the idea that a long battle where you repeat the same mechanic 20 times is somehow more epic than if you repeated the mechanics 6 times.

I absolutely hate the boss battles because of this.

Unlike the OP I've never had a DC in an instance (A few in open world events) but I have had bosses bug on me. And because they are just too long and too tedious to complete I never redo them. Mordremoth and Warden Amala being the biggest offenders.