What am I doing wrong?

Biff.5312

I'm relatively new to using revenants. I used a lvl 80 boost to make one which came with full Celestial gear, and I made another and levelled to 80 and have equipped with Berserker.

I keep reading how the assassin stance for instance is so fast and cuts through PvE like butter. But no matter which stance I use or how I build, I find that the dwarf stance with Vengeful Hammers obliterates any other combination of stance/skill. I do WAY more dps, often taking on several mobs simultaneously. I've tried using demon and assassin stances and in both cases it takes notably longer to deal with the same opposition. So am I doing something wrong or is Dwarf actually the best dps? I've even found it more effective against single champions.

Yea dwarf actually does more power dps because of hammers, it's messed up like that. Idk where you are reading good things about assassin stance, it's really only useful in PvP.

Just so you know though power rev is considered garbage tier damage wise, so if you're interested in t4 fractals or raids you will be flamed or kicked most of the time. Full viper's Condi renegade is the only viable rev build in end game content.

For a power build for anything else though, herald with dragon/dwarf stance is the way to go.

Until you get Herald unlocked, you'll pretty much want to camp dwarf. Hammer with Sword/Sword is my preferred way to play power rev. For WvW, staff is generally a better choice than sword for your secondary, even though the burst of sword OH is pretty good now. Gear-wise, I like Marauder over Berserker, and maybe throw in a couple pieces of Soldier if you feel too squishy. Scholar runes are the best choice if you are almost always over 90% health, while Strength runes make might stacking easier and don't lose their 6 pc bonus when your health drops.I'm no expert on rev, just my 2 copper based on what I've found.

@Flauvious.6195 said:Yea dwarf actually does more power dps because of hammers, it's messed up like that. Idk where you are reading good things about assassin stance, it's really only useful in PvP.

Just so you know though power rev is considered garbage tier damage wise, so if you're interested in t4 fractals or raids you will be flamed or kicked most of the time. Full viper's Condi renegade is the only viable rev build in end game content.

For a power build for anything else though, herald with dragon/dwarf stance is the way to go.

Dwarf is only more dps than shiro when someone else is already providing quickness such as a chronomancer or a firebrand. So for op's situation, impossible odds should generally be better dps, but dwarf hammers certainly add more tankyness.

@ArthurDent.9538 said:

@Flauvious.6195 said:Yea dwarf actually does more power dps because of hammers, it's messed up like that. Idk where you are reading good things about assassin stance, it's really only useful in PvP.

Dwarf is only more dps than shiro when someone else is already providing quickness such as a chronomancer or a firebrand. So for op's situation, impossible odds should generally be better dps, but dwarf hammers certainly add more tankyness.

Basically this... As to why you're not doing a lot of dps in Shiro, it could be a lot of things. I suspect you're probably wasting too much energy on weapon skills instead of just turning on Impossible Odds and cleaving. It could also be that you're not using Devastation or not using a sword? But you seem to be copying posted builds so I doubt that one. It could also be positioning... Hammers will seem to be better if you're not getting the enemies to clump up in front of you so you can cleave through them all at once.

Old posts I would say. Assassin was good when rev was new, and you could use your channel while auto attacking, swap legends, channel/auto attack, and so on.

@Flauvious.6195 said:Or maybe he's wasting energy on other assassin stance utilites; Using anything besides impossible odds will gut dps.

Yeah I'm not really doing either of those things. But I find the hammers provide aoe that allows me to go through groups of mobs faster than killing them one by one even with the impossible odds. Like, a lot faster. Plus it's a tankier stance. I guess maybe to optimise I should be switching back and forth but so far I've found no reason not to just leave it on dwarf. BTW I use sword/axe - hammer.

Does everyone agree that demon stance is just plain less effective?

@Biff.5312 said:

@Flauvious.6195 said:Or maybe he's wasting energy on other assassin stance utilites; Using anything besides impossible odds will gut dps.

Yeah I'm not really doing either of those things. But I find the hammers provide aoe that allows me to go through groups of mobs faster than killing them one by one even with the impossible odds. Like, a lot faster. Plus it's a tankier stance. I guess maybe to optimise I should be switching back and forth but so far I've found no reason not to just leave it on dwarf. BTW I use sword/axe - hammer.

Does everyone agree that demon stance is just plain less effective?

For a power build demon is completely useless, yes. It is made entirely for condi.

Bottom line is if you want to do raids or high level fractals, you will want to switch to viper gear and get renegade. For the majority of the games content though, it really doesn't matter what you use, so if you like the extra tankiness of hammers then use that. I'd recommend getting herald if you haven't already though since it's by far the best legend for a power build and herald/dwarf or herald/assassin will give you acceptable results.

Archived