[HELP] Griffon dive and speed boost

I found it useful to bind the C key to Griffon Dive and the V key to Griffon climb. I still find it a bit hard to navigate but that is just the nature of the mount I guess. I tend to bump into the ground or objects ending my acceleration. But practice makes the master here.

I still have a flight control yoke lying around somewhere. It would be fun to turn GW2 into a flight sim, but just fantasizing here.

You mean you can't use the super boost or you can't even dive? The super boost and the normal wing flap need endurance to use so maybe your problem is here

Let try to find a high place-> walk down the air (don't use double Space, it cost you endurance) -> use 1 to dive -> use space almost right after that to super boost

I found that I seem to have pretty good luck by remapping the dive (mount skill 1) and the climb (mount skill 2) to Q and E respectively. You can then tap Q to make small quick dives instead of the full out dive bomb move by pressing 1. And on the flip side, once you get enough speed, you can tap E to climb without using up all of your momentum. It makes the Griffon races (where you fly through the hoops) MUCH easier to complete.

It is somewhat ambiguous in that the 1 key triggers the attack dive (assuming your weapon skills are still set to 1-5), which will cause the griffon to use its engage skill and put you into combat, while the skill to dive for the speed boost is the Mount Ability 1 skill and then you can climb with the Mount Ability 2 skill, both of which you can set to your preferred hotkey in the Options tab. Default is V to dive and C to climb. You should not be using 1 to dive for speed unless you've wildly reconfigured your UI, and you may find it helps to think of that as your Mount Weapon skill.

The most forgiving places I've found to practice are in Divinity's Reach, where you can flap your way up onto the bird dome over the crown pavillion, then dive from the high point of the wings, Hoelbrak, where you can climb up to the top of the Trader's Forum area and jump off toward the Might and Main waypoint, and Lion's Arch, if you're willing to climb the lighthouse and jump out over the water. Those all give you plenty of space to fall while you try to figure out the Mount Ability 1 & 2 skills.

How I get the Speed Boost on my Griffon:

1) Get to high up spot and Dive using your Mount Ability 1 key (which I've bound to "C")2) Before you hit the ground, release your Mount Ability 1 key and immediately hit the "W" key3) Enjoy the speed boost as you shoot off like a rocket going FORWARD (the direction you're facing)

Note: the higher the dive, the faster the Speed Boost (I think :wink:). Also, using "A" or "D" shoots you off to the left or right. And Mount Ability 2 shoots you straight back up in the air, which I've bound to "V".

Cheers.

@Draconerus.9867 said:I will have to try that. So Q would be replacing the 1 keybind and E would be for the SPACE?

Not quite. If you go into Options, and then Controls. Scroll down and you will find a section for the mounts. Look for the section for Mount Skill 1 and Mount Skill 2. By default, I think they are something like V and Z or something. I replaced mine with Q and E (which are normally bound to strafe left and right, which I don't use). Now, when you are using the griffon, the Space will still Flap, the actual key 1 (on the number bar) will be the attack skill, but now Q and E will be dive and climb.

You can still use the 1 key to dive, and if you are high enough, it will just do a dive bomb and then level out after a certain time, and the S key will still climb, but it will use up all of your momentum. The Q and E will allow you to do small (or longer if you press it longer) dives and climbs, but you won't use up all of your momentum when doing so.

Mount.Jump out of the cliff.Press V (DON'T USE [1] - Swoop AS STATED ABOVE, swoop will stop the dive after a bit)Press Space (Optional, boosts the dive)Level off and you'll be flying with speed boost (You'll see movement lines)Press Back to pull back up. Don't pull all the way until it levels by itself to keep some of the speed boost.You get more speed the more you dive, so shallow dives aren't as noticeable.

• Thanks 1

Keybind the Mount Ability 1 (not the attack) to the number 2 key and the Mount Ability 2 to the number 3 key. Now, when you dive off high areas, you press the 2 key to dive, the space bar to flap and the 3 key to pull back up...this way all of your binds are easy to reach. You can also bind them to your normal 2 and 3 keys you'd use for your skills if you don't use 2 and 3 (meaning if you use other keys, use those for the binds)

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I tried for some time to trigger the griffon super speed and managed to do that 2 times. I'd rather have it removed than knowing its there and can't use it. Here's why:1 - You will have to be so high that there are probably 2 or 3 places in the world where you can be that high.2 - By the time you flap out of your dive you'll be falling so fast that in the end the leveled superspeed flight will be at 2 cm above the ground surface like you are a Formula 1 prororype. Any bump on the ground will stop you. And very soon that!3 - If you just /walk in one direction for the duration of time needed for trying to get high enough and to trigger the speed skill you will cover 7 to 19 times more distance.So at least for me is very annoying to know I have an OP skill that can never be used. Trigers me so bad :>

Go to hylek grounds WP in verdant brink and dive off into the flax farm below while in a griffon.

Hold the dive button (not the dismount skill). While holding this button, when the stamina bar is full press the jump button (space bar).

That's your super dive. There aren't many places you can use it, but when you can you'll be traversing really fast the map. The two places where I use the dive every day is the previously mentioned flax farm and the one in draconic Mons.

In general you don't need to use the super dive to travel fast. If there isn't enough of a cliff, just dive what you can and then let it level off. the super dive just helps reach maximum speed faster. Diving increases horizontal travelling speed, whereas raising altitude causes you to lose it.

• Thanks 1

@CDBeauty.3691 said:I tried for some time to trigger the griffon super speed and managed to do that 2 times. I'd rather have it removed than knowing its there and can't use it. Here's why:1 - You will have to be so high that there are probably 2 or 3 places in the world where you can be that high.2 - By the time you flap out of your dive you'll be falling so fast that in the end the leveled superspeed flight will be at 2 cm above the ground surface like you are a Formula 1 prororype. Any bump on the ground will stop you. And very soon that!3 - If you just /walk in one direction for the duration of time needed for trying to get high enough and to trigger the speed skill you will cover 7 to 19 times more distance.So at least for me is very annoying to know I have an OP skill that can never be used. Trigers me so bad :>

It sounds like you just need to practice. While it is a niche mount not unlike the roller beetle, it is usable more often than you seem to think it is. You realize you don't have to use the full dive? You can level out at something less than the maximum speed boost if you don't have room. Also, you can pull out of a dive and regain most of your starting altitude. Or even pull out of a dive only partially, while maintaining some of your flight speed.

It's a little tricky to get the hang of, but quite fun to play with and useful in the right situations!

The new map is a good place to learn the griffon. You get parachuted in from a great height, so swapping to griffon as soon as possible lets you use that height to your advantage. I've also found that griffon with its speed boosts is the only way to get to a post-meta boss in order to get any hits in before the boss is killed. Thus, there is motivation to practice on the griffon.

My problem is now overshooting, and you may end up with this too. However, you can special skill into the ground to stop fast.