Open-world PvE Firebrand build - What's yours?

Malafaia.8903

I'm mostly a PvP guy, but since season has ended i'm just enjoying PoF with my alts.Never played a guardian "seriously" and since i'm planning to play firebrand next season i was getting familiar with the class.

I'm currently playing a dragonhunter build with GS - Scepter/ Focus, geared full zerker. Problem is, even after understanding the mechanics/ combos/ rotations i can't seem to survive (that's a small health pool, eh?) when raiding crowded places like The Mouth of Torment. And i have A LOT OF FUN doing solo raids in places like this on PoF maps with my other classes. Tried Soulbeast, but came back to druid (i just don't die and do some serious single target dmg), tried Scourge and was feeling like Palawa Joko himself, melting everything on my way while generating infinite amouts of barriers. All of this with fully offensive gear.

Now that i've unlocked Firebrand and will have to get new gear/ craft a new build i would like to ask for some advice from you, fellow guardian:1 - Since i'm talking about "hardcore" solo open world PvE should i go full Viper's? The supportive Firebrand skills will be enough to push deep in these maps like i do with ranger/ necro/ warrior/ ele? Maybe some vitality to increase that joke health pool? Or some healing power to benefit from Firebrand skills?2 - What you think would be the best build, thinking specifically in this kind of content? Remember we are talking about soloing xpacs maps, where you need some stability, decent cleansing (some Awakeneds can deliver condi chaos for melee classes, ie).3 - What would be the best set of utility/ elite skill?

I use a build that is exactly like the one you are describing:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQRAnf7fnsADdBjFBDOCDkCjF+BzqAkByT7X0Q6JFLAMDKCA-jxhAQBNT5HAeCAAU/wMVCCj9Hi2JB4Tq/AA-e

Very simple, no need for Viper's gear. I tried using Viper's gear with a "meta" build, but it just doesn't work for PoF open world content. The mantras are fantastic for stun breaks, condi-cleanse, damage, the heal gives extra Aegis which gives extra heals through Pure of Heart and is frequently proccing your second symbol that gives protection. The Tome of Justice burns down groups so quickly once you have your weapon skills on CD. You can take Virtues instead of Honor, but I found it didn't really add much whilst taking Honor gives you tons of extra survivability and your burst and sustained damage is still fantastic.

You get an extra 25% crit on your main-hand weapon skills, and the only thing that even needs crit is Radiant Fire. About 90% of your damage comes from burning anyway.

You also give a decent amount of support to groups if you decide to randomly join a group event or bounty train.

Try to only use the first two charges of the mantras unless it's an emergency. Having a 12 second CD stun break+stab, 2 stack condi-cleanse and might and quickness is amazing really. You also have the two other tomes you can break out in groups or if you pull too much, and you keep the passive effects due to the final Firebrand trait so there's never a reason not to use them.

Generally, in open world I have my HP around 13k HP. Guardian can be deal extremely high dps (especially burst) or be highly survivable. You won’t be able to have both at the same time. When trying to solo champions the question is how much damage should you give up while maintaining survivability.

I Use three different setups, DH, burn sinister FB and griver.

For DH I use the same setup you mentioned. You can switch some skills around in DH grand master to alternate between damage and suvivability. Though if I really need survivability I switch zeal line to mediation line. For utilities I use Test of faith trap, procession blade trap, save yourselves shout and feel my wraith shout. I use purification heal. When I switch to mediation I drop save yourselves for smite and purification for litany of wrath.

Burn FB, some viper but mostly sinister. Weapons torch oh and scepter/axe mh. For this setup I mostly use ToJ. Again, if you need survivability you can drop zeal for mediation. Utilities mantra of flames and mantra of potence and purging flames. Elitie also feel my wrath. Mantra of solace as heal.

For griver it is mostly the same setup as above, but I use sword mainly and not as much emphasis on ToJ. For utilities same as above, but signet of wrath instead of purging flame.

I use feel my wrath as elite in all setups in solo PvE. Again if suvivability is an issue renewed focus can work better. If you need condi cleanse, mantra of lore. For DH you probably will need to use meditation line of condis are an issue (this very rare in PvE though).

I'm currently running FB with Valk armor with Speed Runes. (helps for movement speed for open world and gets your HP up to 16k) Zerk weapons/trinkets until I can craft a grieving set. Running bottom mid bottom on the FB trait line with classic Zeal/ Radiance traits for power DPS.

This has worked pretty good in general for me, even in fractals. (Even at top end T4s you can 100% melee most fractals as long as you know what to dodge) due to the fact you can stack retaliation pretty easily with the FB Mantras and GS the DPS is solid with plenty of crit. I've been able to solo many champs with this setup as well. It doesn't have the DPS levels of pure zerk/scholar DH of course but the survivability is far better without sacrificing to much DPS.

@"MelGT.8326" said:I use a build that is exactly like the one you are describing:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQRAnf7fnsADdBjFBDOCDkCjF+BzqAkByT7X0Q6JFLAMDKCA-jxhAQBNT5HAeCAAU/wMVCCj9Hi2JB4Tq/AA-e

Very simple, no need for Viper's gear. I tried using Viper's gear with a "meta" build, but it just doesn't work for PoF open world content. The mantras are fantastic for stun breaks, condi-cleanse, damage, the heal gives extra Aegis which gives extra heals through Pure of Heart and is frequently proccing your second symbol that gives protection. The Tome of Justice burns down groups so quickly once you have your weapon skills on CD. You can take Virtues instead of Honor, but I found it didn't really add much whilst taking Honor gives you tons of extra survivability and your burst and sustained damage is still fantastic.

You get an extra 25% crit on your main-hand weapon skills, and the only thing that even needs crit is Radiant Fire. About 90% of your damage comes from burning anyway.

You also give a decent amount of support to groups if you decide to randomly join a group event or bounty train.

Try to only use the first two charges of the mantras unless it's an emergency. Having a 12 second CD stun break+stab, 2 stack condi-cleanse and might and quickness is amazing really. You also have the two other tomes you can break out in groups or if you pull too much, and you keep the passive effects due to the final Firebrand trait so there's never a reason not to use them.

Tyvm for your input, man!You give me a direction on gearing. Sure will get some Carrion gear since it's a lot cheaper/ easier than Viper's. Will make the same mix you did ;)Will test your build too, i like the choice of Honor for survivability!

@otto.5684 said:Generally, in open world I have my HP around 13k HP. Guardian can be deal extremely high dps (especially burst) or be highly survivable. You won’t be able to have both at the same time. When trying to solo champions the question is how much damage should you give up while maintaining survivability.

I Use three different setups, DH, burn sinister FB and griver.

For DH I use the same setup you mentioned. You can switch some skills around in DH grand master to alternate between damage and suvivability. Though if I really need survivability I switch zeal line to mediation line. For utilities I use Test of faith trap, procession blade trap, save yourselves shout and feel my wraith shout. I use purification heal. When I switch to mediation I drop save yourselves for smite and purification for litany of wrath.

Burn FB, some viper but mostly sinister. Weapons torch oh and scepter/axe mh. For this setup I mostly use ToJ. Again, if you need survivability you can drop zeal for mediation. Utilities mantra of flames and mantra of potence and purging flames. Elitie also feel my wrath. Mantra of solace as heal.

For griver it is mostly the same setup as above, but I use sword mainly and not as much emphasis on ToJ. For utilities same as above, but signet of wrath instead of purging flame.

I use feel my wrath as elite in all setups in solo PvE. Again if suvivability is an issue renewed focus can work better. If you need condi cleanse, mantra of lore. For DH you probably will need to use meditation line of condis are an issue (this very rare in PvE though).

Thanks for the input on utility skills! Will sure try some of this!But 13k HP doesn't look good for this kind of open world content (at least running Dragonhunter), so i'll have a different set of gear. Would sure trade some damage for survivability.

@Rune Darkmoor.3269 said:I'm currently running FB with Valk armor with Speed Runes. (helps for movement speed for open world and gets your HP up to 16k) Zerk weapons/trinkets until I can craft a grieving set. Running bottom mid bottom on the FB trait line with classic Zeal/ Radiance traits for power DPS.

This has worked pretty good in general for me, even in fractals. (Even at top end T4s you can 100% melee most fractals as long as you know what to dodge) due to the fact you can stack retaliation pretty easily with the FB Mantras and GS the DPS is solid with plenty of crit. I've been able to solo many champs with this setup as well. It doesn't have the DPS levels of pure zerk/scholar DH of course but the survivability is far better without sacrificing to much DPS.

Why aren't you getting condition damage on your gear?People are talking about some nice burns on Firebrand.

@Malafaia.8903 you are welcome :)

There was a forth build that I ran for a bit, which is what Rune Darkmoor.3269 mentioned. It is a power build, but instead of running Radiance/Zeal/DH with GS and scepter, you run Radiance/Zeal/FB. In solo/small groups, FB can provide quickness and 100% uptime on retaliation. You then won't need much precision, since retaliation+fury provide 70% (which are easy to obtain and maintain solo). You can also use accuracy which gets you 77%. Thus all you need is 23% precision from gear, which you can get from 4-5 zerker pieces. You can then use Val gear all, since precision has no value.

Disadvantages? It does not benefit if someone else is providing quickness, this is why DH is superior in team content for power builds. Solo, they can be equally viable.

I'm planning to have 4 sets (since Legendary is far off for me) pure zerk DH, the one I detailed earlier FB. Grieving FB, and I have a full set of Minstrels for hard carry FB for high level fractals with people that can't stay alive. Lol

Mostly not currently cause I just didn't have any condie gear. Although, the setup I've mentioned is adequate enough to just aoe pull in most trash mobs, GS4 and spin and they'll all be dead so. Works great for open world roaming, no wait for condie buildup for trash. Lol

This is more or less what I've been using for soloing openworld PvE (which is basically what others mentioned above):http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR7ensADFBjNCD2BDkCjl4BzqEkviUVBgGQ9a/lOT3pA-jRSBQBiUZ2VUawIlg4R3glU/BAPEgHcBA+z+DL4IAAA-e

Pros:

• High retaliation uptime from Mantra of Liberation + Healer's Retribution + Symbol of Wrath = massive damage from Radiance traits. You'll have 80% crit rate most of the time, and 100% with fury (which unfortunately you can only keep ~50% uptime on). And your crit damage is super high too.
  • Tons of might stacking from Righteous Instincts, Healer's Retribution, and Mantra of Potence. Maintains ~12 might stacks easily, up to 25 if you spam Mantra of Potence.
  • Decent survivability. Lots of HP because most of your gear is Valkyrie, multiple on-demand stunbreaks and high stability in Mantra of Solace. Mantra of Lore is enough to handle most conditions. Dive into your second tome if you need a full cleanse. Frequent Aegis from your heal skill and Mantra of Truth's blind+weaken really helps to cut down on incoming damage.

Cons:

• Weak heal - since you're usually using your heal skill on recharge to proc might+quickness+fury, it puts a huge dent in your dps if you spam it and put it on CD.
  • Usefulness rapidly diminishes in a group, since your boon stacking abilities become redundant, and that's the whole point of the build.

Burst:

1. Mantra of Liberty to trigger retaliation bonuses + start stacking might
  2. GS 5 twice to pull the mob into you (skip if there's no mob)
  3. Heal skill + Mantra of Potence gives you +8 might and 4.5s quickness. Hit Mantra of Potence twice if you want even more might.
  4. GS 4 for the damage and +10% extra damage from Symbolic Avenger
  5. GS 2. Under quickness, the burst is insane.

@"skyline.3286" said:This is more or less what I've been using for soloing openworld PvE (which is basically what others mentioned above):http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR7ensADFBjNCD2BDkCjl4BzqEkviUVBgGQ9a/lOT3pA-jRSBQBiUZ2VUawIlg4R3glU/BAPEgHcBA+z+DL4IAAA-e

Pros:

• High retaliation uptime from Mantra of Liberation + Healer's Retribution + Symbol of Wrath = massive damage from Radiance traits. You'll have 80% crit rate most of the time, and 100% with fury (which unfortunately you can only keep ~50% uptime on). And your crit damage is super high too.
  • Tons of might stacking from Righteous Instincts, Healer's Retribution, and Mantra of Potence. Maintains ~12 might stacks easily, up to 25 if you spam Mantra of Potence.
  • Decent survivability. Lots of HP because most of your gear is Valkyrie, multiple on-demand stunbreaks and high stability in Mantra of Solace. Mantra of Lore is enough to handle most conditions. Dive into your second tome if you need a full cleanse. Frequent Aegis from your heal skill and Mantra of Truth's blind+weaken really helps to cut down on incoming damage.

Cons:

• Weak heal - since you're usually using your heal skill on recharge to proc might+quickness+fury, it puts a huge dent in your dps if you spam it and put it on CD.
  • Usefulness rapidly diminishes in a group, since your boon stacking abilities become redundant, and that's the whole point of the build.

Burst:

1. Mantra of Liberty to trigger retaliation bonuses + start stacking might
  2. GS 5 twice to pull the mob into you (skip if there's no mob)
  3. Heal skill + Mantra of Potence gives you +8 might and 4.5s quickness. Hit Mantra of Potence twice if you want even more might.
  4. GS 4 for the damage and +10% extra damage from Symbolic Avenger
  5. GS 2. Under quickness, the burst is insane.

So, i'm trying FB with a mix of your advices.And it's A LOT easier to survive as a Firebrand than as a Dragonhunter hahaOk, I'm using a mix of Viper's/ Carrion, so that 16k HP helps a lot too

I like that burst you described, GS is great.What i can't understand is the choice of Scepter over Axe, the pull from Axe 3 + Daze from Axe 2 (traited) + Axe 1 chain (with quickness, since its REALLY slow) looks like an excelent combo too. Except for the might at Scepter 2, what else this weapon offers?

@Malafaia.8903 said:I was reading other topics on the forum and user @Arryn.9346 posted this build:http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vVMQNAS5ensADFBjNCDGDBkCjFLCDLAcAiA7nz158M77UgWAA-jhB0ABtt/wM6GAQpEPq/Ypym0UCCA-e

What to expect when getting the Virtues trait instead of Radiance?

This seems like a support build for protection maximization. Not sure why would anyone run this though. It is not that great suvivability anyway since the person is not running mediation line. And normally the choice is between zeal or virtues. Radiance is a must, since a large portion of both power and condi damage is in it.

Honestly, I dunno why anyone would run honor outside of support FB in SPvP. That build would make way more since with radiance instead of honor.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

Why aren't you getting condition damage on your gear?People are talking about some nice burns on Firebrand.

Probably because in open world there's quite a few enemies on certain maps which are immune to burn. I've gone power FB with some commander trinkets I had lying around for map completion. Resilient, really good damage, highly adaptable with plenty of stun breaks and reasonable CC for breaking bars and best of all; burn is bonus so little dps loss against fire immune mobs. Zeal, Radiance, Firebrand. Greatsword + Scepter/ x for range. May change build when map completion is done, LS and both expansions are played through.

@otto.5684 said:

@Malafaia.8903 said:I was reading other topics on the forum and user @Arryn.9346 posted this build:

What to expect when getting the Virtues trait instead of Radiance?

This seems like a support build for protection maximization. Not sure why would anyone run this though. It is not that great suvivability anyway since the person is not running mediation line. And normally the choice is between zeal or virtues. Radiance is a must, since a large portion of both power and condi damage is in it.

Honestly, I dunno why anyone would run honor outside of support FB in SPvP. That build would make way more since with radiance instead of honor.

Maybe it would make more with radiance. But as I wrote in my topic, I wanted to make something like paladin from other games, some support for open world events (like DS meta), some "safe" play when doing things solo, play with shield and mace (I know there are better weapons for open world) and maybe fractals.I'm full aware that most palyer will say go with condi/power dps becasue it's better, and prabobly it is.

Regarding build, I can always change some traits. All I need is some advaices ;)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQNArfRnsADFChFBDeBDkCjl7BzqC0uKU7j0TaMtqAEASXA-jxRBAB6pPwS1fMTJIAnCgrU+Rz+DP8EAAA-e I am playing this build in open world right now,super strong dps and 16-17k hp.Most important you have 100% critchance full time (thx to ultimate and heal mantra+wrathful spirit you have perma retalation and inner fire gives you prety much full time fury+radiant power). Whirling wrath(GS 2) deals 30k+ damage on bosses

• 3 weeks later...

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRArf5dnsAD97gFCBGBDEEhF9BL7C1hCRVBgk04avjOSXpA-jRTAQB+7IAAw9H2j6OWQJ4AOBAPVrAAMB5hDCwpUJYCPAAGpDINK/yjmgAAHA/GAkvhp/Nfz3fDA-e

this is what i have right now. i know, it's not the most optimal set nor do i have full ascended armor/weapons/back either, but, it works. Celestial is leftover from WvW, but, i really like it regardless.

i do my best to keep quickness up as much as possible, but, with Zealous Scepter + Permeating Wrath, i have 25 Might basically all the time. Leadership Runes aren't the best, but, they're way too expensive to replace, so, i just deal with it. i could probably replace Virtue's with Radiance, but ehh. i like Permeating Wrath.

Archived