Married With GW2

I have a quick question regarding logistics.

I own guild wars 2 myself but my wife was interested in playing it. She of course would not want to buy it as we, technically, own it together as we are married. Is she allowed to play on my account of would she have to buy a separate copy? I know this would mean we wouldn't be able to play at the same time but we are ok with that.

Thanks for any help!

I think that having more than one person playing the same account is technically not in compliance with the ToS. However, there's no way for anyone to actually know if more than one person is playing on the same account, and it's very unlikely that you would get in trouble for it. If you're still concerned about it, she could just get a free account; she won't have access to all of the features a paid account has, but she'll be able to play the game.

Bear in mind that in addition to the TOS issues there are several practical draw backs to sharing an account.

A lot of stuff in GW2 is account wide. Gold and most of the other currencies are shared between all characters on your account - automatically, there's no way to keep them separate. Likewise achievements you complete on one character show as completed on all of them, skins are unlocked account-wide, masteries are account-wide, once you've made a 2nd gen legendary you can't make it again...

Sharing currencies may not be an issue if you're married, but the other stuff I imagine could be. Any achievement you've already done your wife can't do. She can go through the motions but won't get the confirmation that she's done it right or the reward. Any skins you've unlocked she gets instant access to but no opportunity to earn etc.

If it was me I'd rather buy a second account than try to share one.

@DarkAngelZack.7058 said:I have a quick question regarding logistics.

I own guild wars 2 myself but my wife was interested in playing it. She of course would not want to buy it as we, technically, own it together as we are married. Is she allowed to play on my account of would she have to buy a separate copy? I know this would mean we wouldn't be able to play at the same time but we are ok with that.

Thanks for any help!

I been playing on my brother account since forever, he got it on 2012 and he shared his account with me...he quitted the game a few months later, but I keep playing with his account, and even bought both HoT and PoF with it...not sure if Anet have is against this, guess this is not agaisnt the rules.

@Felipe.1807 said:

Thanks for any help!

I been playing on my brother account since forever, he got it on 2012 and he shared his account with me...he quitted the game a few months later, but I keep playing with his account, and even bought both HoT and PoF with it...not sure if Anet have is against this, guess this is not agaisnt the rules.

It is, actually, against the rules; but, ArenaNet didn't know about it until you posted. :P

I think arena net will not support this but I do not think they will ban or punish. It's all depends how they have to deal with it later in case of future dispute with sharing of acc on same ip login or diff eg. Anything happen to your acc characters etc which was not done with your consent. If you know what I mean.I highly suggest you to get her an acc. I bought an acc for my daughter with hot... she doesn't play much but I goy it for her so she doest have to play mine when she does play. And the good thing is we get to play together :)

Let her try a character on your account for a while to see if she really likes it. If she does get her an account just make sure she has a computer for it. Its always more fun to play games like this with other people. The game with both expansions ultimate edition gives you a character slot a name change contract all the bells and whistles and $50 worth of gems for $99.99 U.S. not a bad price for years of game play

If it's against the rules, then me and my friend been breaking it for quite a while now.

@Oglaf.1074 said:Anyone else thought of Married With Children upon reading the thread title?

Love and Guild Wars, love and Guild Wars,They go together like a horse and carriage

Love and Guild Wars, love and Guild Wars,Killing Sparkflies, and some Wild Boars,This, I tell you hum'on,This land is ours, Land of Ascalon.

@Granada Garuda.8391 said:Well as long as your not sharing accounts for let's say automated monthly pvp tournaments to win 1st place like some people in NA, I bet it's fine. #400

isnt the players who did still able to play the game normally? This was one of the main reasons why so much people in the pvp community are pissed, these players can do whatever they want and Anet wont make a stand against then.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Thanks for any help!

It is, actually, against the rules; but, ArenaNet didn't know about it until you posted. :P

Well would be really stupid if they ended up banning my account cause of this...honestly I would just quit the game, I paid for HoT and PoF and even support the game buying gems once in a while, if anything they should thank my brother for showing the game to me.

From the user agreement"Each Account may only be used by one person. If a minor has been allowed access to an Account under Section 9© below, only that minor may use the Account thereafter. Except as provided in Section 9© below, You may not make any assignment or transfer of rights, obligations or liabilities related to this agreement and any attempt by You to do so is null and void."

@Oglaf.1074 said:Anyone else thought of Married With Children upon reading the thread title?

Love and Guild Wars, love and Guild Wars,They go together like a horse and carriage

Nope but it reminded me of a time where we were raiding on WvW and a guy was hitting on a girl in the squad on teamspeak. That girl was the daughter of the commander, it was really funny.I'm pretty sure that little fella was left for dead so the other server could feed on his corpse .

I don't think it's an issue if she plays on the same PC w/same IP. Now if it's a different PC, different IP with your account information, you could get banned.

My son will sometimes plays his two characters on my account. And sometimes I will play them.

But as said before, if it's a different PC you're better off going F2P until she decides to buy the game.

@Felipe.1807 said:Well would be really stupid if they ended up banning my account cause of this...honestly I would just quit the game, I paid for HoT and PoF and even support the game buying gems once in a while, if anything they should thank my brother for showing the game to me.

I don't think they would actually ban your account for this. The big problem is if your brother would want it back and it originally being his. If he has the key code for the account he can prove it to be his and you can't do much about it. This may ofc. never happen and hopefully it wont since you by now have more invested in it.

Personally I would never ever share my account with anyone, no matter how much I otherwise love them... but thats me I guess.

@Zeefa.3915 said:

@Felipe.1807 said:Well would be really stupid if they ended up banning my account cause of this...honestly I would just quit the game, I paid for HoT and PoF and even support the game buying gems once in a while, if anything they should thank my brother for showing the game to me.

I don't think they would actually ban your account for this. The big problem is if your brother would want it back and it originally being his. If he has the key code for the account he can prove it to be his and you can't do much about it. This may ofc. never happen and hopefully it wont since you by now have more invested in it.

Personally I would never ever share my account with anyone, no matter how much I otherwise love them... but thats me I guess.

I know that something that could happen, but i know my brother, he would never do something like that, besides, he got himself a new account when they were seeling the game on discount(guess was like 80% or something) before HoT got released. He tried to get into it again, but quitted like 2 weeks later lol, guess GW2 is not his kind of game.I would never have done this if was a with a stranger, I am aware of all that shit that could happen, but if it is with someone that you trust i dont see the problem.

@Felipe.1807 said:

I know that something that could happen, but i know my brother, he would never do something like that, besides, he got himself a new account when they were seeling the game on discount(guess was like 80% or something) before HoT got released. He tried to get into it again, but quitted like 2 weeks later lol, guess GW2 is not his kind of game.I would never have done this if was a with a stranger, I am aware of all that kitten that could happen, but if it is with someone that you trust i dont see the problem.

You should be fine then yes :)

@Loosmaster.8263 said:I don't think it's an issue if she plays on the same PC w/same IP. Now if it's a different PC, different IP with your account information, you could get banned.

My son will sometimes plays his two characters on my account. And sometimes I will play them.

But as said before, if it's a different PC you're better off going F2P until she decides to buy the game.

You can play your account on various PCs/IPs if you want. You just have to confirm it for security reasons.

I've hopped between computers and my network has a rotating IP.

But I also agree the OP should set up a F2P account for his wife.I don't understand why being married means she won't buy her own account.

There's no way I would let my wife login to my computer, never mind share the same account!If that sounds harsh, you don't know how much damage someone can inadvertently do. I spent a week restoring a computer we shared some years ago. She couldn't even give me a clue as to what she'd done, but I was locked out of most of the applications. So now she has her machine and I have mine :)

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:If it's against the rules, then me and my friend been breaking it for quite a while now.

Account sharing is against the rules, so yes you have been breaking the Terms of Service.

As for the OP not wanting to buy another copy I can understand that but surely the benefit and draw of games like GW2 is that you can play them together.

Archived