Married With GW2

Technically it is against the ToS.However, from my personal observation in statements from devs, they do not actively hunt down people sharing accountsa (also as it is nearly impossible to do so). They will however not be responsable for any issues happening from this. If issues arise and a dispute of ownership starts, they are entitled by the ToS to permantly suspend the account.

My personal advice. I do not see too much issues letting your wife play a bit on your account and even create a character. But if she really is interested in playing and wants to play regularly, I would advice getting a second account. Besides. It allows you to play together and from personal experience that can be a lot of fun!

My understanding is that account sharing is against the TOS basically so that Anet don't have to deal with the problems it can cause.

If a couple is sharing an account and they split up it's up to them to decide who gets to keep it and who loses everything and has to start over. If siblings are sharing an account and one spends all the accounts gold on something the other doesn't want/can't use they can't contact Support to have the gold restored. If someone gets banned for verbal abuse they can't say "No, that wasn't me, it was my friend/cousin/dog who said those things" to get unbanned.

As far as Anet are concerned 1 account = 1 person and any problems that causes are yours to deal with.

(Similar to things like concerts stating that moshing is not allowed. They're not going to stop the show and kick out everyone in the pit, but they are also not going to be liable if you get your phone or your arm or whatever broken, because you were doing something you'd be explicitly told not to do.)

I would always err in the favor of caution. Always. Like several others have suggested, try a "free" account. If she likes it, then consider upgrading her account by purchasing the game.

My whole family plays the game (on their own individual accounts) and we have a good time together as a family. We can even form our own 4-man wvw roaming group. If only we were good...

I can completely understand that it seems illogical to buy a game you already have just because another person in the house wants to play it. If I wanted to play any of my husbands games I wouldn't buy another copy - I'd just make my own save file/characters. Same if he wanted to play any of my games. (Oddly enough this doesn't happen as often as you might expect for 2 gamers living together. We seem to have fairly different taste in games.)

But GW2 is an exception. I definitely think the problems outweigh the benefits. In my case that's mainly because almost all your progress is shared rather than because of any TOS issues, but both aspects make sharing accounts annoying. You can often find the core game, or even HoT, being sold fairly cheaply so I think a free account upgraded to paid if she wants to stick with it is definitely the best choice here.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:If it's against the rules, then me and my friend been breaking it for quite a while now.

Account sharing is against the rules, so yes you have been breaking the Terms of Service.

As for the OP not wanting to buy another copy I can understand that but surely the benefit and draw of games like GW2 is that you can play them together.

Thankfully it's not mine.I never share my account with anyone. Not even my parents when I was little.

I would ask support. Personally I would buy another just so you can play together at the same time. However since it’s your account and you give her permission to play I doubt it would go against the rules. The only thing I think arenanet would be against is probably if you did a tournament in pvp and you switch off each match. I think that is against the rules. Other then that I know few people who have had daughters or sons play on their account.

Picture it this way. I buy a game and then a friend wants to play because we are both bored. Is that really against the rules? Actually it might be ok since it’s practically advertising their game to a close person which would make another sale. However I still would check with support since it’s pretty strict. But it’s not too hard to give her a free account. And then get expansions later.

Archived