Please unlock UI

Please could you unlock the UI and let us freely move the UI elements around to suit our needs? The funny thing about this is that in GW1 (which is nearly 13 years old now) you could do this, but in GW2 you can't. Please Anet, this is a QoL improvement that I feel needs to happen, especially if you intend more people to engage in high end PvP and PvE.

@Mea.5491 said:I agree and please let us disable parts of the UI we don't want to see. Exp/mastery bar, loot list, story tracker come to mind...

@Wander.5780 said:While they're at it, we need a way to see our FPS other than having to open the options menu. Literally every other MMO ive played has had an ability to do so...

All things that again were in the original Guild Wars (did I mention that game is nearly 13 years old?) and yet isn't in GW2....

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:it would be nice if anet did this but given how old the game is and broken it is . can not see it happen BUT it be very welcomed if it was . i love to run around maps and see noting but the game only no map no skills bars no wvw pvp and so forth just one big clean clear ui screen !!!

You mean like when you hold down ctrl and shift and press h?

Was one thing I tried to figure out how to do and couldn't find out the very 1st time I got into GW2. I thought it was stupid and idiotic. Of course, I can change the keys but it doesn't change the placement... so even if I wanted them as 1 3 2 5 4, they still show up at 1 2 3 4 5 which just makes it pointless in my opinion.

At this point and time? I don't want or care for it no more. I've already got the attacks remembered how they are to the point whenever I play that character at any time or levelling a new character in that same class, it just comes naturally from remembering now.I would not change it if they added it now. Would be nice if they did, but that ship sailed already for me.

@Zaklex.6308 said:They've already explained this before...try searching on the internet...I won't do it for you, but it's not going to happen.

They have? I can't find any record of it. I'm not talking about third party mods here (I can understand why they don't allow those) but just the ability to move the UI elements around from within the game itself, like you could in GW1. The sad thing is that people have been asking for this functionality since closed Beta and we still don't have it.

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Was one thing I tried to figure out how to do and couldn't find out the very 1st time I got into GW2. I thought it was stupid and idiotic. Of course, I can change the keys but it doesn't change the placement... so even if I wanted them as 1 3 2 5 4, they still show up at 1 2 3 4 5 which just makes it pointless in my opinion.

At this point and time? I don't want or care for it no more. I've already got the attacks remembered how they are to the point whenever I play that character at any time or levelling a new character in that same class, it just comes naturally from remembering now.I would not change it if they added it now. Would be nice if they did, but that ship sailed already for me.

I had the same issues when I first started playing, and although I have gotten used to it there are still times when I will think I am in a certain weapon set and use a weapon skill only to find that I'm in my other set and make a huge mistake because of it. This actually happened to me today, when I was playing my DH in a fractal. I can't remember which 1 it was but I wanted to use Scepter 3 to break a bar and pressed it before realising I had my Greatsword active. So instead of using Scepter 3, I used GS 3 and jumped on top of the boss and instantly died.

That said, the issues with the positioning of the skills on the bar is a minor thing compared to the UI as a whole. Having to divert your attention away from the middle of the screen constantly to look at your CDs or teammates health bars is a nightmare to deal with. It's even worse for healers. If I'm healing I want to focus my heals on the area of the most damaged player. In order to do that I have to take my eyes away from the middle of the screen where the action is, to the left hand side where the party health bars are. Once I see who is lowest on health I then have to search the area to find that person before I can actually heal them. This is a very slow process and results in a lot of mistakes.

It might be kind of redundant but here is a video that explains why customisable UIs are so important:

Yes I know it's related to the WoW UI but the principles of it apply to GW2 as well, as the basic UI for both games is very similar.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@"WARIORSCHARGEING.2637" said:it would be nice if anet did this but given how old the game is and broken it is . can not see it happen BUT it be very welcomed if it was . i love to run around maps and see noting but the game only no map no skills bars no wvw pvp and so forth just one big clean clear ui screen !!!

You mean like when you hold down ctrl and shift and press h?

Or when you re-hotkey that combination to just one key? I use F11, nice and close to PrintScreen, so even in combat I can swiftly remove the UI to take a picture and reactivate it before anything hurts me.

Sample of a UI-less shot, from a bounty train yesterday: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/149652082784206849/399314739995344896/GriffonFlight.jpg

@Wandering Mist.2973 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Was one thing I tried to figure out how to do and couldn't find out the very 1st time I got into GW2. I thought it was stupid and idiotic. Of course, I can change the keys but it doesn't change the placement... so even if I wanted them as 1 3 2 5 4, they still show up at 1 2 3 4 5 which just makes it pointless in my opinion.

I had the same issues when I first started playing, and although I have gotten used to it there are still times when I will think I am in a certain weapon set and use a weapon skill only to find that I'm in my other set and make a huge mistake because of it. This actually happened to me today, when I was playing my DH in a fractal. I can't remember which 1 it was but I wanted to use Scepter 3 to break a bar and pressed it before realising I had my Greatsword active. So instead of using Scepter 3, I used GS 3 and jumped on top of the boss and instantly died.

That said, the issues with the positioning of the skills on the bar is a minor thing compared to the UI as a whole. Having to divert your attention away from the middle of the screen constantly to look at your CDs or teammates health bars is a nightmare to deal with. It's even worse for healers. If I'm healing I want to focus my heals on the area of the most damaged player. In order to do that I have to take my eyes away from the middle of the screen where the action is, to the left hand side where the party health bars are. Once I see who is lowest on health I then have to search the area to find that person before I can actually heal them. This is a very slow process and results in a lot of mistakes.

It might be kind of redundant but here is a video that explains why customisable UIs are so important:

Yes I know it's related to the WoW UI but the principles of it apply to GW2 as well, as the basic UI for both games is very similar.

Wait. So you mean what you want is to set for example if I was thief. 1 to be Pistol, 2 to be dagger, 3 to be Pistol again, and then 4 and 5 to be dagger so you can have your 1-5 be set up by weapon that might not be equipped at the moment? (This example would be Pistol/Pistol and Dagger/Dagger and not Pistol/Dagger or Dagger/Pistol.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Was one thing I tried to figure out how to do and couldn't find out the very 1st time I got into GW2. I thought it was stupid and idiotic. Of course, I can change the keys but it doesn't change the placement... so even if I wanted them as 1 3 2 5 4, they still show up at 1 2 3 4 5 which just makes it pointless in my opinion.

Wait. So you mean what you want is to set for example if I was thief. 1 to be Pistol, 2 to be dagger, 3 to be Pistol again, and then 4 and 5 to be dagger so you can have your 1-5 be set up by weapon that might not be equipped at the moment? (This example would be Pistol/Pistol and Dagger/Dagger and not Pistol/Dagger or Dagger/Pistol.

Not at all, I just want it the same as how you want it, to be able to rearrange weapon skills within a certain active weapon set. This way, I could always have my hard cc on the same button regardless of what class I am playing, which is extremely helpful if you are constantly swapping classes for different things.

• 4 weeks later...

@Zaklex.6308 said:They've already explained this before...try searching on the internet...I won't do it for you, but it's not going to happen.

So what if they have? Can't their paying customers make requests? They are game devs who are fully capable of making this addition without it breaking something else. No need to be rude.

Archived