Beware of Microsoft Critical Update Released Today

Ahnog.8795

The Microsoft Update released today is a critical update. It hit my 32 bit about 2am CST this morning and after it was complete my computer wouldn't boot past the four pane Windows symbol. I had to roll back the computer to December 22 to get it to boot again. If I'm not mistaken the patch today is the fix for the Kernal issue. I turned Windows update off on my 64 bit and my laptop. Beware.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

My computer said it had an update ready and when I checked, it was the new intel fix crap. I deleted it before I thought of restarting/shutting down.How do you even turn off windows updates on 10? I never found a way how.

Microsoft did not put in a setting to turn updates off like they did in previous versions of windows. You also can not simply flag individual updates to be "ignored" as you could previously. You would need to go about deactivating the Windows Update service itself, I believe that is the only way to accomplish it. Be cautious if you attempt this as it will stop all updates so you could miss out on truly crucial security updates, etc. Also be very cautious disabling services in general. I won't lead this thread into Windows tech support but you can look up information on services and how to disable them elsewhere online if unaware of how to do so. One last thing, be aware that disabling updates now and re-enabling at a later date will still acquire all missed updates anyway.

@Wolfheart.7483 said:.> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

My computer said it had an update ready and when I checked, it was the new intel fix crap. I deleted it before I thought of restarting/shutting down.How do you even turn off windows updates on 10? I never found a way how.

Microsoft did not put in a setting to turn updates off like they did in previous versions of windows. You also can not simply flag individual updates to be "ignored" as you could previously. You would need to go about deactivating the Windows Update service itself, I believe that is the only way to accomplish it. Be cautious if you attempt this as it will stop
all
updates so you could miss out on truly crucial security updates, etc. Also be very cautious disabling services in general. I won't lead this thread into Windows tech support but you can look up information on services and how to disable them elsewhere online if unaware of how to do so. One last thing, be aware that disabling updates now and re-enabling at a later date will still acquire all missed updates anyway.

True. However, perhaps by disabling now and re-enabling at a future date will allow MS a chance to hopefully fix/alter the current issue so that when you do update, it will be with the cure for the issue, rather than the issue, itself.

/shrug

@Chamelion.9536 said:

@Wolfheart.7483 said:.> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

Microsoft did not put in a setting to turn updates off like they did in previous versions of windows. You also can not simply flag individual updates to be "ignored" as you could previously. You would need to go about deactivating the Windows Update service itself, I believe that is the only way to accomplish it. Be cautious if you attempt this as it will stop
all
updates so you could miss out on truly crucial security updates, etc. Also be very cautious disabling services in general. I won't lead this thread into Windows tech support but you can look up information on services and how to disable them elsewhere online if unaware of how to do so. One last thing, be aware that disabling updates now and re-enabling at a later date will still acquire all missed updates anyway.

True. However, perhaps by disabling now and re-enabling at a future date will allow MS a chance to hopefully fix/alter the current issue so that when you do update, it will be with the cure for the issue, rather than the issue, itself.

/shrug

Agreed. I was thinking that when I mentioned the detail about turning updates back on at a later time but failed to actually state it.

I'm actually more concerned about the security flaw(s) this update is supposed to fix than a potential drop in performance in games (I'm a pretty casual player, so unless it's a drastic change I may not notice things going slower). So I'm going to take the approach of downloading the update, seeing how things go and rolling it back if necessary.

how can i see if i got the update? the update history shows the last updates have been installed on the 12th of december (KB4058043, something with MS Store apparently). i had checked for new updates several times in the past days but it always says my system is up-to-date/that there aren't any new updates.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm actually more concerned about the security flaw(s) this update is supposed to fix than a potential drop in performance in games (I'm a pretty casual player, so unless it's a drastic change I may not notice things going slower). So I'm going to take the approach of downloading the update, seeing how things go and rolling it back if necessary.

I have an i7-5820K @ 3.30 and I don't notice anything playing. I did a (sadly) very non-scientific before/after screenshot of what GW2 is using, and didn't take into consideration to where I was in the world and what was going on, so I can't offer anything helpful there. I look at it now, and it's exactly the same as it was before, but I don't know for sure if this is the same character/place/time/situation as when I took the picture. I tested another character in another part of the world under different circumstances, and the CPU/GPU hit was much higher. That could just be because of where I was. Newer land, lot more effects and such going on. I will say that when I look at it now the CPU/GPU numbers match what my before was. I'm not seeing a situation where I'm in a place and the GPU load is the same but the CPU load is a lot higher? Probably means nothing.

It doesn't 'feel' any different to me, the few games I play. I do play for a long time each day at different times during the day doing a lot of different stuff. SWL seemed fine early today.

I'm also a 'fullscreen borderless window' person. I don't get why everyone hasn't adjusted their expectations and set that in their minds as the baseline normal these days, but I digress (another thread, I guess).

@notebene.3190 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm actually more concerned about the security flaw(s) this update is supposed to fix than a potential drop in performance in games (I'm a pretty casual player, so unless it's a drastic change I may not notice things going slower). So I'm going to take the approach of downloading the update, seeing how things go and rolling it back if necessary.

I have an i7-5820K @ 3.30 and I don't notice anything playing. I did a (sadly) very non-scientific before/after screenshot of what GW2 is using, and didn't take into consideration to where I was in the world and what was going on, so I can't offer anything helpful there. I look at it now, and it's exactly the same as it was before, but I don't know for sure if this is the same character/place/time/situation as when I took the picture. I tested another character in another part of the world under different circumstances, and the CPU/GPU hit was much higher. That could just be because of where I was. Newer land, lot more effects and such going on. I will say that when I look at it now the CPU/GPU numbers match what my before was. I'm not seeing a situation where I'm in a place and the GPU load is the same but the CPU load is a lot higher? Probably means nothing.

It doesn't 'feel' any different to me, the few games I play. I do play for a long time each day at different times during the day doing a lot of different stuff. SWL seemed fine early today.

I'm also a 'fullscreen borderless window' person. I don't get why everyone hasn't adjusted their expectations and set that in their minds as the baseline normal these days, but I digress (another thread, I guess).i read on some website that the windows update is not fully activate yet and needs firmware/microcode updates for the CPU and mainboard before it is activated propely. So maybe we see further performance loss when those firmware updates happened.

Please don't all people disable Windows Update, just because one update failed for one Windows user. That is a specific problem on that one computer, not a general problem with all computers. If it were, Microsoft would not have that patch released in the first place.

Disabling Windows Update and not getting any more updates is dangerous because of missing security fixes, and of course you will not get stability updates any more. That's definitely not recommended and not best practice in IT.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

I'm also a 'fullscreen borderless window' person. I don't get why everyone hasn't adjusted their expectations and set that in their minds as the baseline normal these days, but I digress (another thread, I guess).i read on some website that the windows update is not fully activate yet and needs firmware/microcode updates for the CPU and mainboard before it is activated propely. So maybe we see further performance loss when those firmware updates happened.

That could be. I don't have anything from Asus yet on that front. :(

@notebene.3190 said:

That could be. I don't have anything from Asus yet on that front. :(

Yeah I've checked with ASUS on my MB.. not expecting to see anything soon.

I'm of the mind though that this will be a slow process across the industry if I understand the nature of the issue correctly and that likely means it will be more of a widespread impact than just certain people's PC's seeing anomalies occur.I would say don't disable your updates, but instead getting some backup's prepped and fingers crossed.

As for the comment made by Silmar Alech.. Microsoft are well known for releasing updates that have major flaws... Win10 has been blessed with a few of those egg faces since launch, but they have to work on generic patches and then fix things as issues arise on the ever varying builds/setup and software's being used/developed.

Now about that annoying sudden FPS drop issue since the Microsoft Fall update.. I am still having to alt tab regularly to get the FPS to settle back down.. anyone seen a fix for this anywhere?

@Silmar Alech.4305 said:Please don't all people disable Windows Update, just because one update failed for one Windows user. That is a specific problem on that one computer, not a general problem with all computers. If it were, Microsoft would not have that patch released in the first place.

Disabling Windows Update and not getting any more updates is dangerous because of missing security fixes, and of course you will not get stability updates any more. That's definitely not recommended and not best practice in IT.

not only that but it will make it far more easy to let a hacker get control of your computer !! but then again maybe they should learn their missed lesion the hard way . and when their bank accounts get wiped out they only have them selfs to blame for not keeping windows up date turned on

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

@Silmar Alech.4305 said:Please don't all people disable Windows Update, just because one update failed for one Windows user. That is a specific problem on that one computer, not a general problem with all computers. If it were, Microsoft would not have that patch released in the first place.

not only that but it will make it far more easy to let a hacker get control of your computer !! but then again maybe they should learn their missed lesion the hard way . and when their bank accounts get wiped out they only have them selfs to blame for not keeping windows up date turned on

How would they get a hole of your bank account from a computer? Just wondering.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

This security issue causes encryption to become worthless on an infected machine. Literally anything you would do on your computer becomes fully accessible.

Not patching this update is actually just downright stupid.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

This security issue causes encryption to become worthless on an infected machine. Literally anything you would do on your computer becomes fully accessible.

Not patching this update is actually just downright stupid.

Ah so if you do bank stuff on the computer you would be screwed. Gotcha.

Archived