Beware of Microsoft Critical Update Released Today

Ahnog.8795

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

@"Malediktus.9250" said:
thats it, i am not downloading any windows update or firmware update anymore

@"Malediktus.9250" said:
thats it, i am not downloading any windows update or firmware update anymore

thank you for giving me such a good laugh right now and spraying my drink all over the place !!! got a extra good laugh that it came from the fake reddit site as well as all them made up fake numbers and so forth .

again thank you so very much for the good much need laugh :p :p :p :p :p

What is your problem? But good on you if you have fun.

@Nemesis.2019 said:Anyone avoiding this update is asking to have your personal information stolen...I patched without problems (W10) on both my 64bit PCs...Just the same as with the thousands of other security holes in the OS that never got patched. Why should I get worried about one more. Just assume everything you do and keep on your PC is unsafe and you wont have many problems.Some people spend a lot of money and time in maximizing performance of their PC, so why would I waste several percent of performance on just fixing a SINGLE out of thousands of possible security holes.

Do you walk around in real life in medieval plate armor and bulletproof under wear since it increases your security while slowing down all your movements? I guess not.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed, no problems at all. People recommending to disable Windows updates really should think before they speak. As for performance impact, I suggest giving the link below a read.

"Desktop users have little to worry about in terms of performance loss, particularly gamers."

https://www.techspot.com/article/1554-meltdown-flaw-cpu-performance-windows/

@"OGDeadHead.8326" said:Installed, no problems at all. People recommending to disable Windows updates really should think before they speak. As for performance impact, I suggest giving the link below a read.

"Desktop users have little to worry about in terms of performance loss, particularly gamers."

So people like me who have usually 90 to 200 tabs open in a web browser, a game open (max settings of course), a few art loaded and working on in photoshop and musical programs, and then other things like discord and steam and irc would not feel an issue?I usually have a lot going on on my computer at the same time.

@"OGDeadHead.8326" said:Installed, no problems at all. People recommending to disable Windows updates really should think before they speak. As for performance impact, I suggest giving the link below a read.

What about us guys/gals on gaming laptops?

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

So people like me who have usually 90 to 200 tabs open in a web browser, a game open (max settings of course), a few art loaded and working on in photoshop and musical programs, and then other things like discord and steam and irc would not feel an issue?I usually have a lot going on on my computer at the same time.

I bet you wouldn't. You would most likely see some minor things if you benchmarked, just as the link I provided showed (some things have improved while others have gotten worse performance). I multitask a lot on my computer as well, and so far I haven't noticed a single thing either way.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

if you got a intel cpu then you have problems but maybe if you shut off some stuff it might not be too bad for you but your using discord chat app idk you might be hacked already and not even know it . that is how most of the discord hacks happened in the first place

@Oglaf.1074 said:

if on a laptop and you got the intel cpu then you got problems if its on the list and how low end your laptop is . even if it is a i5 or i7 intel cpu .

if on a laptop and you got the intel cpu then you got problems if its on the list and how low end your laptop is . even if it is a i5 or i7 intel cpu .

i7.

Guess it is time to turn off Windows Updates, then.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

i7.

Absolutely not. Read my post above.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

i7.

not the smartest or best idea at all to do . in doing so will leave you open very easy to hackers to get control of your lap top as well as your bank account info and other account information that might interest them .

now you not said what kind of laptop you got at all . and i could only make the suggestions of the list. but if you got a i7 lap top maxed out memory . their is a few small work around that could help you even improve performance like remove all bloat ware apps chat apps . and then look to see if you can boost your video card settings with msi after burner and use CATE 7 Ethernet cable . which will reduce game lag as well as have more better shielded cabling thus removing cross single interference . and you can get the

CATE 7 Ethernet cable here from amazon  for very cheap i got the 50 foot cable my self works very well improved my internet speed by 50% even compared to CATE 5E  and  CATE 6  Ethernet cable 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHDT44G/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bAqaqOZ_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=ZSKRAM0P0JVVJJN1SXFG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=cda5afa6-ee64-5002-b282-ddfc6faf6a03&pf_rd_i=9938479011

i7.

not the smartest or best idea at all to do . in doing so will leave you open very easy to hackers to get control of your lap top as well as your bank account info and other account information that might interest them .

now you not said what kind of laptop you got at all . and i could only make the suggestions of the list. but if you got a i7 lap top maxed out memory . their is a few small work around that could help you even improve performance like remove all bloat ware apps chat apps . and then look to see if you can boost your video card settings with msi after burner and use CATE 7 Ethernet cable . which will reduce game lag as well as have more better shielded cabling thus removing cross single interference . and you can get the
CATE 7 Ethernet cable here from amazon  for very cheap i got the 50 foot cable my self works very well improved my internet speed by 50% even compared to CATE 5E  and  CATE 6  Ethernet cable 

It is some pre-built gaming laptop.

------------------System Information

Time of this report: 1/6/2018, 02:13:29         Machine name: DESKTOP-6HCGPD8           Machine Id: {9D511830-3BD2-4A11-8692-C462588D8D9F}     Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)  System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.         System Model: G752VT                 BIOS: G752VT.205            Processor: Intel® Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz               Memory: 8192MB RAM  Available OS Memory: 8130MB RAM            Page File: 10106MB used, 5722MB available          Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS      DirectX Version: DirectX 12  DX Setup Parameters: Not found     User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)   System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled             Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not SupportedDxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

@Oglaf.1074 said:

i7.

It is some pre-built gaming laptop.

------------------System Information
  Time of this report: 1/6/2018, 02:13:29         Machine name: DESKTOP-6HCGPD8           Machine Id: {9D511830-3BD2-4A11-8692-C462588D8D9F}     Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)             Language: English (Regional Setting: English)  System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.         System Model: G752VT                 BIOS: G752VT.205            Processor: Intel® Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz               Memory: 8192MB RAM  Available OS Memory: 8130MB RAM            Page File: 10106MB used, 5722MB available          Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS      DirectX Version: DirectX 12  DX Setup Parameters: Not found     User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)   System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled             Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not SupportedDxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

ok thanks and now i will say this . for the video see if you can use the msi after burner app for your video card . and get a lap top fan that you can put your laptop on to keep it a bit more cooler . then from their look to see what bloat ware apps is loaded on your lap top like bonjor and skype and what apps are running even if your not using them .

then go to that LINK i posted and get the CATE7 ETHERNET cable for the $15.00 make sure also you got your fire wall set to high close all not need portshave a paid antivirus program . and then get cpuid cpu-z and see what that brings up . other wise their is not much more you can boost after all them other things are done and you got the CATE7 ETHERNET cable

@Oglaf.1074 said:

The perforamce hit you will take is not determined by your hardware, it's determined by what software is being run. The more system calls a piece of software uses the larger the impact of the patch will be. Videogames for the most part don't use very many system calls.

The stuff that is going to be hit the hardest are servers and VMs.

@Crinn.7864 said:

The perforamce hit you will take is not determined by your hardware, it's determined by what software is being run. The more system calls a piece of software uses the larger the impact of the patch will be. Videogames for the most part don't use very many system calls.

The stuff that is going to be hit the hardest are servers and VMs.

It is both. The meltdown exploit bugfix uses CPU cycles to clear and rebuild the cache all the time, so slow CPUs will loose more performance percentage wise than an overclocked i7.> @Oglaf.1074 said:

i7.

Guess it is time to turn off Windows Updates, then.I found out on reddit you can edit the registry to disable the meltdown fix. That way you could keep windows update on while not making use of the meltdown fix. Not perfect but still slightly better than disabling windows updates completly.

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:then go to that LINK i posted and get the CATE7 ETHERNET cable for the $15.00 make sure also you got your fire wall set to high close all not need portshave a paid antivirus program . and then get cpuid cpu-z and see what that brings up . other wise their is not much more you can boost after all them other things are done and you got the CATE7 ETHERNET cable

But remember the sunscreen.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

I have the update installed on a laptop using a core i5 7th gen CPU and I've noticed no change in performance thus far and no system errors/crashes. Obviously, I'm not an enthusiast that bothers benchmarking my low-end laptop, so unless I start getting BSODs or reductions in performance that I am actually able to discern without running a benchmark, I'm not likely to notice a change. I expect this will be the case for most people. Just set a restore point, install the patch, and see how it goes.

I'd be more worried about the impact on big business. A 30% performance cut could result in a significant increase in the cost of doing business, which of course would end up being passed on to the consumer. That has me a lot more worried than whether or not my framerate is 97 instead of 100!

Did the update, game still plays fine. People are just crying wolf to cry wolf and it's fascinating. If a car manufacturer told you that you need to get your gas tank repaired because of a possibility of the car catching fire while you are driving however you might lose a little performance in your engine, would you still whine about that lost performance or get your damn car fixed? The fact that some people are willing to forgo this update is probably something a lot of shady peeps are banking on.

@miraude.2107 said:Did the update, game still plays fine. People are just crying wolf to cry wolf and it's fascinating. If a car manufacturer told you that you need to get your gas tank repaired because of a possibility of the car catching fire while you are driving however you might lose a little performance in your engine, would you still whine about that lost performance or get your kitten car fixed? The fact that some people are willing to forgo this update is probably something a lot of shady peeps are banking on.

I would sell the car and buy an Ecto-1.Fashion Wars.

@miraude.2107 said:Did the update, game still plays fine. People are just crying wolf to cry wolf and it's fascinating. If a car manufacturer told you that you need to get your gas tank repaired because of a possibility of the car catching fire while you are driving however you might lose a little performance in your engine, would you still whine about that lost performance or get your kitten car fixed? The fact that some people are willing to forgo this update is probably something a lot of shady peeps are banking on.

Indeed, +1.

I Don't get why Microsoft feels like every home PC user needs the latest commercial grade security updates. Like heck if criminals are going to hack something it's going to be driven by profit like every other crime. Why hack some single small fry home gamer like me when they can go for a company server with thousands of users information.

The only way you can get hacked as far as I can tell is if you go to dodgy ass websites and either intentionally or unintentionally download compromised files anyway and one could argue those people deserve to be hacked for participating in criminal activity.

It's like they install security cameras and hire security guards, safes and sensors in organizations like banks or rich peoples houses because that's where it makes sense to do so. So why are they putting all that crap in my small residence where It's not only basically useless but gets in the way.

Like other people I've not noticed any impact from installing the update.

Admittedly I don't typically track my FPS or otherwise keep performance benchmarks, so I don't have any numbers to report, but as far as my perception while playing goes nothing has changed. Same goes for everything else I do on my PC.

@"Esquilax.3491" said:I Don't get why Microsoft feels like every home PC user needs the latest commercial grade security updates. Like heck if criminals are going to hack something it's going to be driven by profit like every other crime. Why hack some single small fry home gamer like me when they can go for a company server with thousands of users information.

This is not how it works. Someone doesn't want to "hack" you specifically. A popular variant is to find some unmaintained ad server or a forum installation with lots of security holes and place code there. They are often run by people who have no clue and the hack goes mostly unnoticed.

This server then delivers the exploits to potential users using the site. It doesn't have to be anything shady at all. Just a badly maintained or forgotten system serving stuff that is included on other sites. Think forums, gaming sites, weblogs. Modern websites include so many resources from external servers that it's impossible to know if it's 100% safe even on reputable sites.

All of the stolen information is collected. Most of it will be useless but some of it will definitely be interesting. Yes the odds of getting hit are probably low. Point is: you cannot always avoid it. If you don't want to install security updates, fine. But don't downplay the scenario and advise others to not install them because of some theoretical performance hit. These are the first patches that tackle the problem. Someone will most likely find ways to improve them even further.

so far this is all we know, whether you want to update or not its up to you

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12214/understanding-meltdown-and-spectrethe exploit can only be done locally (means you need to visit shady website, installing untrusted app, opening suspicious attachment) safe browing habit is needed

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/01/03/mitigations-landing-new-class-timing-attack/the remote attack so far only from javascript, already mitigated by some browser

Archived